The "Right Let's Do This Properly" Round the World Club, what!

SeanG

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DaveLTB said:

You have a gale warning and I am merely 400nm east of you... 

No wonder the sea is flat calm a quarter way across the Atlantic.

You must be ahead and North of the front under that nice big High Pressure system.... we however are pretty much in the thick of the Isobars around the low, sitting pretty much under the front.

Please login to display this image.

SeanG

On 12/14/2017 at 11:08 PM, SeanG said:

we however are pretty much in the thick of the Isobars around the low, sitting pretty much under the front

Definitely perfect weather where I am - a few hundred nm from the irish coastline on a dead-calm sea.

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

Wow!  it really *is* nice on the other side of the front.... gotta love those mid-Atlantic High's!

SeanG

SITREP: 0200Z

Safely entered the Irish Sea, and making 20 Knots toward Liverpool, expecting to take on our pilot by helicopter transfer around 0600.

See you all in Liverpool later in the morning!

SeanG

SITREP: 0630Z

Pilot is aboard after a somewhat exciting arrival by helicopter...  FltLt Button, the ship's helicopter pilot (yes, he's Air Force, on a Navy ship....  that's the way we used to do it in the 90's in NZ!) assured us that his arrival was perfectly "normal", but based on the look on our Mersey Pilot, (with a grandiose name) J.P.J.R Quarryman's face, I'd say it was nothing of the sort!

Weather is cool, but clear, so barring any delays we should be tied up alongside in a little over 2 hours, or, just after sunrise!

SeanG

Liverpool, on a cold, cloudy morning just as the sun is about to rise, and we've made it!   HMNZS Canterbury has served us incredibly well, making every voyage within the time limit, and even making the trips around India, and the USA (via Panama!) in time to meet us for the subsequent legs.  Now the poor old PC gets to have a rest after 80 days of continuous FS9 action!

Now, we only have the leg to London to complete, but those of you following along will already know that we won't be doing this "the easy way"......  stay tuned for how we will make our way back to the Reform Club to complete this epic adventure!

Now.... where are DaveLTB and Kalizzi??  We have a quantity of Tiger beer, all the way from Singapore which we need to "distribute" :)

SeanG

Kalizzi is already in London, and I'm in Dublin. 

Irish tipple! In an Irish Pub! It doesn't get any better than that!

Singapore's Tiger beer scares me!

1 hour ago, SeanG said:

but those of you following along will already know that we won't be doing this "the easy way"

I quiver with anticipation...  After that build-up, don't you dare disappoint!

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

Well.... that did not go as smoothly as we hoped!

Once ashore we quickly processed through immigration and customs and, with the 10:15 express to London in mind, began to collect our now rather large collection of luggage.  And we were all promptly arrested and taken away to Merseyside Police Station!  It seems that the fine collection of alcoholic beverages we had been collecting during our adventure are classed as "import without a licence".... rather than "sharing a few drinks with our friends"!

After a few hours cooling our heels in jail, Jeremiah Weed once again showed his worth by producing (courtesy of his distillery in Stamford, Connecticut)  documentation to legitimise the "import" and thereby keeping us out of jail, assuming the relevant excise and duties were paid....

Now however, we had missed our train, meaning we had to spend the night in Liverpool, and catch the 10:15 tomorrow... which was getting worryingly close to our deadline for the adventure!

SeanG

Leaving the hotel this morning brought a mood of strange, wistful, romantic, reminiscing....  as we strolled up Matthew street, past the Cavern Club, and then up Whitechapel, a pervading scent from the distant past came wafting past us.  It was a fragrance which evoked strong memories of the 50's and 60's.  With a significant nip in the air we walked briskly towards Lime Street station, the smell of hot oil, and coal smoke became ever stronger.  It had been decades since steam was king of the mainlines, yet the evidence passing our nostrils was unmistakable.

Passing through the glass doors and into the station the world seemed to go dark......  then revealed itself once more, but in monochrome!

There in front of us, on Platform 7 was the 10:15 to London, only it was painted in the splendid colours of the LNER, and at the head of the train was the LNER Class A3 "4472", better known as "Flying Scotsman"!

At precisely 10:15 the guard blew his whistle, and with due ceremony, and Victorian mechanical accompaniment we smoothly rolled out of Lime Street, and onto the main line!

Leaving Lime Street Station, Liverpool

Passing Edge Hill

Making splendid progress through the Liverpool suburbs

Outskirts of Liverpool, Flying Scotsman stretches her legs 

Open country, and 70 Miles Per Hour! 

Blasting through whistle stops and halts at full speed

Gazing out the window, I spied one of the other modes of transport which had been considered for this leg of the journey...  Not too many narrow-boat simulators around however!

London at last!  At Euston station it should have been a quick tube ride to Charring Cross, then a wall up Pall Mall to the Reform Club..... (I hadn't thought about "World of Subways"... but that would have gone well about here!)

Instead, we catch a Black Cab, and pull up at the doors of the Reform club almost exactly 80 days after we departed...

It has been a fantastic journey, seeing some amazing scenery, and through the diaries of my fellow travellers have felt that this has been an epic adventure, that all involved will remember for some time!

We visited many places we probably hadn't been to before, and I'm sure many new adventures will come from this ;-)

Now.... into the club, with our vast stash of Illegally imported alcohol, and lets have a party!

SeanG

An epilogue quite as original as the prologue. The steam train bit from Liverpool adds a wonderful twist to your epic journey. Hope to see you at the Pall Mall still on your feet! Cheers.

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, DaveLTB said:

Kalizzi is already in London, and I'm in Dublin. 

Irish tipple! In an Irish Pub! It doesn't get any better than that!

Singapore's Tiger beer scares me!

I quiver with anticipation...  After that build-up, don't you dare disappoint!

Dave Britzius

(Cape Town)

No I wasn't I was standing off in Glasgow, Only arrived in London today.

11 minutes ago, kalizzi said:

No I wasn't I was standing off in Glasgow, Only arrived in London today.

Well!   I have your Tiger beer... all the way from Singapore!

SeanG

9 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Super images! Thanks.

Drink on the society in the bar, we are waiting for you.

No.. Thank you for arranging this epic journey!  It has been a complete blast!

SeanG

7 minutes ago, kalizzi said:

That's pretty decent of you old boy, I am sure it is well aged by now :cheers_s: 

After our perilous Atlantic crossing it will be Shaken, perhaps... definitely not stirred ;-)

SeanG

10 hours ago, MM said:

Just excellent, Sean.

18 hours ago, robertorizzo said:

Thanks. You really found the right mood for the 80 days trip. The same first and last frame has been a great idea.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it :)

This has been quite a journey, and very entertaining to read all the diaries!

It reminds me of the old FS Fly-ins on the flightsim.com forums back in FS98 days ;-)

SeanG

Archived