The "Right Let's Do This Properly" Round the World Club, what!

SeanG

In the words of James May; "I really have done this properly".....

Our plan is simple, elegant, and properly English to the point where Mr Fogg would feel especially at home....

London to Suez will be by Ship, and fortunately The Royal New Zealand Navy has loaned us the splendid Leander Class Frigate HMNZS Canterbury to convey us in some style, comfort and speed.

Suez to Bombay will merely be a continuation of the previous leg, still aboard Canterbury.

Bombay to Calcutta..Well, this is where our splendid, simple plan comes a little unravelled... Simply put, we don't have any idea at all how we make the crossing, but being a former colonial outpost I'm sure we'll be able to find something suitable.

Calcutta - Hong Kong - Yokohama - San Francisco, we will once again join the Canterbury (she having sailed around the coast to meet us), sailing the magnificent Straits of Malacca and into the South China Sea before arriving in Hong Kong, then it's weigh anchor again and off to San Francisco by way of Yokohama in Japan.

Now this is where the plan takes an unexpected turn;  From San Francisco we travel by car, Shelby GT500 in fact, stopping in some  lovely spots as we wind our way across the Continental US.

The final leg, from New York to London will again by sea, but negotiations are still progressing to finalise exactly how, and aboard what ship...  

I am thoroughly looking forward to this adventure, especially when I am sitting topside, drinking a nice sharp Gin and Tonic, while you chaps are sweating over charts and the like!

Chin Chin!  And see you all at the start line!

SeanG

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as you do not need "Ship-Simulator: Maritime Search and Rescue" when you leave a perfectly good ship like they did with the Wahine lying outside a big harbour enterance.

20 hours ago, SeanG said:

In the words of James May; "I really have done this properly".....

I am thoroughly looking forward to this adventure, especially when I am sitting topside, drinking a nice sharp Gin and Tonic, while you chaps are sweating over charts and the like!

If you're not sweating over charts like the rest of us, I'd keep my life-jacket on if I were you....:o

Just now, JoHubb said:

If you're not sweating over charts like the rest of us, I'd keep my life-jacket on if I were you....:o

Well!  Looking at the vast expanses of open ocean you shall be crossing... I rather fear it shall be you, in your rickety "Flying machine" who should be on first-name basis with ones life jacket.   But never fear, the brave crew of HMNZS Canterbury shall be following along to pluck you from the ocean and apply liberal doses of Brandy (in a purely medicinal manner of course!) whence your airplane surrenders to the rigors of Oceanic crossings.  

Failing that, I shall of course see you in the bar between sectors!

SeanG

Good question!

Well, we shall set sail in FS9 (the nautical edition obviously), cross India in P3D v4, possibly, although in all honesty I haven't thought that part through fully...  Driving across the US will be in "The Crew", driving at realistic speeds, and stopping at appropriate points to simulate the journey in a semi-accurate manner... but I may go *very* retro for the first leg... but that, alas, I shall keep secret until the "off"  ;-)

SeanG

Well that's the first leg complete... only two hours late leaving the Reform Club!

A quick Black Cab ride (in MidTown Madness 2 no less!) from the Reform Club, through London to Tower Bridge, where we met HMNZS Canterbury.

Please login to display this image.

Once aboard we set sail at a very sedate 5 knots!

Next update, when we hit the channel and can speed up some!

SeanG

Shelby GT 500!  Nice!  I'll join ya on the trip across the US if you don't mind the company. I'll be in a Camaro, a Hyper Metallic Blue ZL1 in fact. I'll try to make sure I keep you in sight with my mirrors;) Loved the post! Have a great day. 

19 hours ago, nmetheny said:

Shelby GT 500!  Nice!  I'll join ya on the trip across the US if you don't mind the company. I'll be in a Camaro, a Hyper Metallic Blue ZL1 in fact. I'll try to make sure I keep you in sight with my mirrors;) Loved the post! Have a great day. 

Look for me as "NZ6258" driving *sensibly* from San Fran to Jackson Hole on the first day ;-)    Metalic Blue GT500 ;-)

We should coordinate a time and do the drive!

SeanG

Minor update, had a good day cruising down the French coast, we are now enjoying a quiet nightcap in the Officer's Wardroom before turning in for the night.  

Current location, just abeam Brest, and soon turning South, still making a healthy 21 Knots.

Good night from aboard HMNZS Canterbury.

SeanG

1 hour ago, kalizzi said:

Awesome mate, love what yer doing! its just awesome. :D

Why thank you ;-)    I have a slightly "left field" approach to simulation....  quirky but definitely fun!

SeanG

A quick stroll around the deck in the brisk 10º air before retiring for the night.   Not a lot to see, but heigh ho for Gibraltar!

Seas fair, wind and current to our backs we are making good time with a VMG of around 22.5 knots!  Not bad for the old tub!

SeanG

HMNZS Canterbury, F421

Navigator's log: 0140Z

Time: 040140Z
Lat/Lon: 47.00, -6.50
Wind direction: 14°
Wind speed: 0kt
Temp/Dew: 15°C/5°C
Atmospheric pressure (QNH): 1013 hPa, 2991 Inch

Transiting the Bay of Biscay, VMG now 22 Knots

Good morning!  It was an uneventful night crossing the Bay of Biscay, and as the sun is rising into the Eastern sky we are heading steadily South.  Next land we see will be Spain!

I hope the ship has its ADS-b turned on....we cannot have it coliding with another rust bucket.  I see even the American Navy has decidedd to Have tracking enabled when in crowded water..........

Just now, harrry said:

I hope the ship has its ADS-b turned on....we cannot have it coliding with another rust bucket.  I see even the American Navy has decidedd to Have tracking enabled when in crowded water..........

Perish the thought!   In fact, that's a very good point...  I have "global ship scenery" installed, so there are ships everywhere!   Might pay to post a lookout or two!

SeanG

• Deputy Sheriffs

Really great journey so far.

When looking at you log in the spreadsheet, was wondering how you can make 0.3 flights with 470nm in 27 hrs.

4 hours ago, mopperle said:

Really great journey so far.

When looking at you log in the spreadsheet, was wondering how you can make 0.3 flights with 470nm in 27 hrs.

I make my flights "slowly" ;-)  Making 21 knots in comfort!

SeanG

Archived