ATC Software Recommendation

dookster49

Just wondering which software product(s) you recommend for the most realistic ATC experience. I fly in the U.S., almost daily, and rarely are there any live controllers on Vatsim's Vpilot. Not really interested in recorded software, prefer to deal with actual people, which is the big selling point (supposedly) for the Vatsim product. Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated.

No ATC software is going to give you what you can get on VATSIM.

The good news is that there is almost always a Controller on VATSIM, but they only show up on VPilot if they are within a certain range... and range is different for different types of controllers.  Instead, I recommend you use one of the Live Maps to help you find where there is ATC Service.

I just wrote an post about VATSIM with some helpful tips.  The post is located HERE if you'd care to read it.

Best wishes.

If you are looking for offline ATC software, ProATC X works really well. It's only downfall is that it doesn't use voice recognition like some other alternatives. However it seems to be very close to "real world" procedures.

IVAO or VATSIM are always dead, no control or good act services at all. If you find some one controlling online is the best experience but i the reality is that 90% of your flights will be with out control. so I have Two offline softwares. PRO ATC X is wonderfull, but VoiceATC is perfect. it supports emergencies VFR IFR and it works like FS2CREW but its difficult to manage. because you need to speak a very well ICAO language. Sat exactly what pilots say at reality and have good english pronunciation. BUT AFTER ALL Voice ATC for me is the best. If you want a easiest one, Pro ATCX is a wonderfull software that is getting better year by year. But it does not support VFR   at this moment.

1 hour ago, Eduard Gasull said:

IVAO or VATSIM are always dead

I could not possibly disagree more.  In fact, I find no basis in fact for this statement, as I'm on or monitoring these networks very often each day.

Below are screen shots for VATSIM and IVAO of the activity as I post this, which is pretty much the worst possible time for finding ATC and Pilot activity on these networks - middle of the week at 6:00pm GMT when most people are either just getting home or eating supper in the relevant time zones.

Reading the post I referenced above might be helpful as well.

Best wishes.

VATSIM

Please login to display this image.

IVAO

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

VATSIM

IVAO

Dave for me that image proves that are dead. vatsim is ok in north europe (UK, NORWAY DENMARK..) but look south europe. nothing.

IVAO again no even such a complete FIR under control. and no traffic.

I understand that thouse who are looking for ATC SOFTWARE is because on ivao are always at unicom. And i like to see a lot of traffic, do an aproach as number 3 on ils, thouse things only happen in ivao once peer week and it really really depends of the airport. I know atc software is not real as IVAO/VATSIM but they work well and they let you do what a normal pilot in anormal flight do, as the aerosoft airbus. So?

you will have as much traffic as you configurate.

you will have 100% airspace and frequencies available. 

you will even can declarate some emergencies an abnormal procedures. (that need to improve a lot)

yes you wont have a real person, who knows better than a software,

you wont have the warm touch of a real person

10 minutes ago, Eduard Gasull said:

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

VATSIM

IVAO

Dave for me that image proves that are dead.

The only thing I can say to that is you either don't understand the networks, how and when to use them, or you have very unrealistic expectations.

Either way, I'm not here to convince you of anything, so whatever makes you happy.

1 minute ago, DaveCT2003 said:

(...) when to use them, or you have very unrealistic expectations. (...)

"When to use them" doesn't make much sense to me: I fly when I have the time to, I cannot pause my real life in order to make flights when online ATC is present.

To add to this, Aerosoft sells a lot of airport addons where online ATC is hardly available, if at all.

Thirdly, I wouldn't want to fly the same airports time after time, just because they are the ones that are mostly covered online.

To each their own, I guess.   :)

2 minutes ago, Captain Snowflake said:

When to use them" doesn't make much sense to me:

I can see that it doesn't, as I don't believe you're not looking at this from the same perspective.  If one is cemented into a certain perspective or way of doing things then no line of discussion will change that is would be pointless. Additionally, flying online is not for everyone specially if your personal schedule conflicts with times of coverage and events.

As I believe this matter has been discussed enough that nothing of value would be added past this, I'm going to ask that we end this particular line of discussion please.

Best wishes.

Archived