Which airport?

musefan

Just looking at other people's planned routes and it seems that there is  bit of confusion as to which airports we should be flying to. Some seem to be flying to Tokyo while others are going to Yokohama. Also, there are others who have mentioned Cairo instead of Port Said. I have put Port Said and Yokohama in my route, as I thought these airports were mandatory. However I think I'd prefer Cairo and Tokyo if that was allowed.

So I suppose I'm wondering can someone clear up where we are supposed to fly to?

• Administrator

Hello Neal,

welcome here :) ,

here you see the rules from Mathijs (First Point).

So I think, you can choose an airport you want if it is as closest to the route as possible for your aircraft...

I thought about Cairo too (it is close to Suez. But Port Said has a location directly at the canal. So I think, I will fly to Port Said for my route....

And for example Tokyo or Yokohama ... there is no big difference for me. My choice at the time is Tokyo...

Bu I am still working on my route .... finetuning ....

Greets Heinz

Thanks Heinz.

Yes, the rule don't really clarify what airports should be used. I would like to use Cairo and Tokyo, as there is better scenery available for P3Dv4.

I'll await further instruction.

Yeah it's available airport scenery and of course suitable airports for larger aircraft I mean. Tokyo and Cairo are pretty close to Yokohama and Port Said, and they also have scenery available for P3Dv4 (I think). So if it's ok with everyone I might change my route slightly.

It is ok for someone like Mathijs, he only has to find a pond,  Juat a warning for him though, many of the ponds near airports are really sewerage treatment plants and he really could end up in the ...

The more I read the book the more difficult it gets to be accurate, but it will be interesting inacuracies anyway

• 1 month later...

Re:  Suez

Suez is actually a city at the southern terminus of the canal.  Port Said is at the northern terminus.  I chose Cairo because (1)  it was the major airport nearest to Suez.  Suez does not have an airport, but there are some smaller default airports which are nearer.  (2)  I have some pretty payware scenery for Cairo.  Since I paid for this scenery, I really want to use it.  This gives me a good excuse.  Why use a crappy default airport, when I already own a nice payware scenery?

Re:  Yokohama

Haneda is the airport closest to Yokohama.  In fact, it is almost next door.  Like Cairo, I also have a very nice Narita payware airport.  However, in this case, I found the FS9 Haneda from Overland/Simmers Sky actually worked in FSX, at least for my purposes.  It is not as nice as my Narita airport, but it is adequate.

Re:  Historic Route

I feel fairly free to deviate from the book.  For example, I cut across Saudi Arabia.  There was no way a steam ship was going to cross the Arabian desert.  If I had remained true to the book, I would have cut south through Sudan, Ethiopia and Somalia, then cut across through Yeman and Aden.  But right now, this part of the world is a rather nasty place to be.  In real life, it's a good way to get shot or kidnapped.  Additionally, there are not many nice sceneries here.

I also took a shortcut from Kolkotta to Hong Kong.  Truth of the matter is, of the years I have spent a lot of time in southeast Asia, and have been over the straights of Malacca many times.  However, I have never flown the High Hump.  The High Hump is such an important and historically significant route, it was really hard to pass up.

There is adequate freeware scenery for Mandalay and actually fairly nice freeware scenery for Kunming, China.  Of course, to get the real feel for this route, one probably should take a C-46 or C-47 and not use any modern avionics -- flying the route by dead reckoning.

Likewise while a steamer might go from Hawaii to San Francisco, my little Cessna 172 simply does not have that type of range.  (However, with a G-1000, TAWS, GPWS and weather radar, it is not exactly a slouch for this type of trip.)  So I get to explore Aerosoft's Kamchatka scenery, then trace a route along the Chain and down the Inside Passage, where I have all sorts of nice scenery,  going through ORBX regions most of the way.

Archived