Visual Studio 2015 vs 2017?

So I keep seeing these posts where its saying that the 2015 version of VS must be installed.

As I have 2017 installed, 2015 wont physically install. The MS Installer wont allow it to.

My understanding is that the two versions are binary compatible and therefore if you have 2017 you don't need 2015 anyway.

I will add that everything works ok on P3D v4 install and the CRJ.

Comments?

Google search "c++ 2015 vs c++ 2017" and 10 minutes of easy reading explain why the Microsoft Visual Studio team did this. I'm not a programmer and yet I understand what they're saying about the 2017 version. Another thing is Win10 is not listed as a supported operating system for Visual Studio 2015.

I've read numerous posts in this Aerosoft forum stressing the importance of having the latest C++ 2015 Runtime. Here it is, even though it's under a different name.

For my own personal experience I uninstalled the 2015 c++ runtimes and installed the 2017 version. Again downloaded the CRJ700/900 from a different Aerosoft server. Uninstalled, deleted any leftover directories/folders, reinstalled the CRJ700/900. Installer did not object to the absence of the 2015 c++ runtimes and continued without error. Started P3Dv4 and loaded the CRJ. Still no objections or errors. Used Dave to set "ready for taxi," entered a simple 3 waypoint flightplan into the FMS1, took off, intercepted the flightpath and turned on the autopilot. Crossing the 2nd waypoint NAV disconnected and would not reconnect. Heading would not work, turning away from the heading bug. I've seen this happen before when the 2015 C++ runtimes were installed. Gave up, went to bed.

Time to start blaming the CRJ for these (and other) problems, not my system. I've done everything recommended by the Aerosoft team and these problems persist. Frustrating.

Hello Jerry,

I understand your frustration, and nobody is blaming your system. We are simply working to rule things out. we're are continung to work out some things, and there is an ipdate comimg whiich should help with many of the known issues.  It may be best to revisit any remaing issues after the update is out.

Best wishes.

Hello Dave,

I can confirm that this is related to a change in the way Microsoft has the 2017 libraries registered. There is a different application that was having the same issue. the developer needed to change a dependency check and adjust the code to reference the 2017 version of the same functions called from the 2015 version. It sounds like they rolled the unchanged functions into the 2017 release that are used by the CRJ.

Hopefully that is helpful to the developers.

Yes dir, that is correct. Either version (2015 or 2017 will work with thr CRJ (vise versa really).

Starting this evening I will be dealing with tropical storm / hurricane issues so I'll be AFK.

Best wishes.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I'm really sorry to start again, but my computer knowledge is not very good, even it's a bit difficult for me to understand everything in English. So yesterday I purchased the CRJ.

Before installing it, I had VC2015 (x64) and (x86) installed, of course they are also older files installed. With the CRJ installation, I now have the newer 2017 version installed. The 2015 X64 remained, but the 2015 x86 version disappeared or is now uninstalled. In my opinion, this is correct as I understood, that the 2017 is a patch (replacement) of the 2015 X86 but as I wrote above, the explanation in English was a bit difficult for me to understand.

Can you confirm, that this is as it should?

Kind Regards

Patrick

• Developer

VC2017 (V141) is just the latest version of VC2015 (V140). Therefore the VC2017 installer overwrites any existing installation of VC2015. Everything that requires VC2015 will run with VC2017. So long story short: VC2015 is no longer required.

The CRJ project has been bumped from VC2015 to VC2017, so VC2017 is installed during setup.

Disclaimer: by VC2015/2017 I mean the runtime libraries (also known as redistributable files), not the compiler itself.

vor 9 Minuten, Hans Hartmann sagte:

VC2017 (V141) is just the latest version of VC2015 (V140). Therefore the VC2017 installer overwrites any existing installation of VC2015. Everything that requires VC2015 will run with VC2017. So long story short: VC2015 is no longer required.

The CRJ project has been bumped from VC2015 to VC2017, so VC2017 is installed during setup.

Disclaimer: by VC2015/2017 I mean the runtime libraries (also known as redistributable files), not the compiler itself.

Ok many thanks for the explanation. Hans I really just had 30minutes time yesterday, but the first impression is awesome!

Ich wünsche Dir noch viel Geduld für die Behebung der teils gemeldeten Probleme. Soll ich das 2015 V64 auch deinstallieren oder noch belassen? Entfernt wurde nur das x86.

Many thanks

Patrick

• Developer

That's a matter of how you look at things. If you're a "I always like the latest versions" person, then yes. If you're a "never touch a running system" guy, then no :-)

I didn't have a choice. Microsoft made the decision for me when I installed Visual Studio 2017. It just installed both and I never had any issues with it.

Archived