Official rule book

The rules state "the first topic will contain your complete route."  I assume that this is a full listing of the individual leg starting and finishing airport identifiers.  You are not expecting intermediate navigational waypoints of each leg?  Once we have declared a routing, are we locked to only those legs or are we free to modify the itinerary as we proceed?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/12/2017 at 10:04 AM, Captain Doctor said:

Hey there,

first of all, it sounds like a wonderful challange. :D

Three questions from me:

• Real weather...well...FSGRW isn´t available for P3Dv4 jet, and P3D has no real weather function like FSX. Is there some good Freeware or an idea what I can do?
  • Is the Twin Otter a modern or a historical aircraft?
  • Where can I find the kmz files? :wacko:

I fly P3D V4.  I use Active Sky’s real weather. It works just like AS16 for FSX.

Pete

On 9/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, Captain Doctor said:

Hey there,

first of all, it sounds like a wonderful challange. :D

Three questions from me:

• Real weather...well...FSGRW isn´t available for P3Dv4 jet, and P3D has no real weather function like FSX. Is there some good Freeware or an idea what I can do?
  • Is the Twin Otter a modern or a historical aircraft?
  • Where can I find the kmz files? :wacko:

In P3DV4 I've been using the freeware FSXWX for weather. Works pretty well. http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/instructions-p3d.htm

I just followed the instructions step by step for install. Happy for now!

Dear all,

indeed, a great challenge, looking forward to it :-)

Do I have to strictly adhere to the dates ? Bombay-Calcutta with 3 days during holiday season might be challenging if you are real-life traveling...

For clarification: is it historic or modern:

- Vickers Armstrong VC10

- DC8

- B727

- DHC6 really is modern ?

- C172

I assume the DC6 is historic, correct ?

Thanks,

Florian

• Aerosoft
6 hours ago, Trevor531 said:

When it says 7 days dose that mean that how long everyone has to do that flight and then each flight you give them 7 days to do that flight?

To stay in the story you will have to fly the leg in that time perios.

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, LH784 said:

Dear all,

indeed, a great challenge, looking forward to it :-)

Do I have to strictly adhere to the dates ? Bombay-Calcutta with 3 days during holiday season might be challenging if you are real-life traveling...

For clarification: is it historic or modern:

- Vickers Armstrong VC10

- DC8

- B727

- DHC6 really is modern ?

- C172

I assume the DC6 is historic, correct ?

Thanks,

Florian

DC 6 is certainly historic.

• Aerosoft
10 hours ago, Jeff W said:

The rules state "the first topic will contain your complete route."  I assume that this is a full listing of the individual leg starting and finishing airport identifiers.  You are not expecting intermediate navigational waypoints of each leg?  Once we have declared a routing, are we locked to only those legs or are we free to modify the itinerary as we proceed?

I think we'll all be forced of our route at some point due to weather. So many old birds taking part that can't fly over big fronts.

Just a short question about a minor detail of the route. First of all as a child almost 20 years ago) I watch the cartoon version of the original story which is slightly different but as close as possible to the original - only names are adjusted and some minor changes in the story for children understanding. Just this summer ( if you can call it with all that rain here in germany) I watch it again with my children and they were fascinated. So I wanna try to do this challenge because they like it when I am flying on my simulator so I do it for them too.

Now back to topic:

In Hong Kong Passpartout and Mr. Fog are seperated. Passpartout goes direct to Yokohama while Fogg did an extra tour via Shanghai ( see in wikipedia for details).

Which "version" has to be redone? Hong Kong - Shanghai - Yokohama oder Hong Kong - Yokohama?

Regards

Jens

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, grisu_firefighter said:

Just a short question about a minor detail of the route. First of all as a child almost 20 years ago) I watch the cartoon version of the original story which is slightly different but as close as possible to the original - only names are adjusted and some minor changes in the story for children understanding. Just this summer ( if you can call it with all that rain here in germany) I watch it again with my children and they were fascinated. So I wanna try to do this challenge because they like it when I am flying on my simulator so I do it for them too.

Now back to topic:

In Hong Kong Passpartout and Mr. Fog are seperated. Passpartout goes direct to Yokohama while Fogg did an extra tour via Shanghai ( see in wikipedia for details).

Which "version" has to be redone? Hong Kong - Shanghai - Yokohama oder Hong Kong - Yokohama?

Regards

Jens

Your decision but I am going via Shanghai.

going to give this a try  here is a link to the original trip  http://kickasstrips.com/2014/06/around-the-world-in-80-days-phileas-foggs-original-journey/

So my question since I have not participated in one of these before  is how do we log our flights ??? Is there some logging software or is it strictly a honor system that we really fly these routes , If not on line Vatsim or Ivao will not have any record of the flights either .

2 hours ago, bd515 said:

going to give this a try  here is a link to the original trip  http://kickasstrips.com/2014/06/around-the-world-in-80-days-phileas-foggs-original-journey/

So my question since I have not participated in one of these before  is how do we log our flights ??? Is there some logging software or is it strictly a honor system that we really fly these routes , If not on line Vatsim or Ivao will not have any record of the flights either .

I believe uploading some screenshots is and maybe writing a bit of a description will be good enough.

Ok one more question as I said haven't done this before how do you upload screenshots  to a forum  Well I guess I have answered my own question  lol

Please login to display this image.

haha, I think I used up my screen shot quota on the previous round the world trip :lolsign_s:. I thought about using a DH Dragon Rapide, but it took forever on the Crete to Cape Town rally.

I may well join you, having just got back from RTW2015.

As the only airfield known to me is an old Airforce base (Al Kibrit, HE34) which is currently having its runways torn out and is now a whirlybird base only, I'm moving my landing point on Suez to Port Said, NE of Cairo.

I'm tempted to try this challenge... Just not sure whether I'll make it. Not sure about my aircraft either. 737/A320 would be comfortable and easy. But also thinking about something older or smaller...

• Aerosoft

Basically the diary is a forum topic (here: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/841-diaries/) where you introduce yourself and keep us up to date on the progress. If you read some of the diaries I am sure you get the idea very fast. 

And welcome!

Archived