Recommended Nvidia and PC Settings for FS2004? :-(

FirmamentFX

Hi guys,

My spec is as follows:

- Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) 3.0GHz

- 3GB DDR2-533 RAM

- Nvidia 8800 GTS (640MB) Card

- FS2004 (9.1) [with the No CD hack - my CD drive has several issues at the moment and for the most part is unplugged]

Running some Aerosoft products (Nice Cote D'Azur, Monaco 2005, Cologne/Bonn 3) I am getting some slow and jerky rates in the default Cessna. Also, in general, things seem quite blurred and jaggedy edged, despite AA being on. No AI aircraft are around yet, this is simply with FS Global 2005 and a couple of airport addons.

Now, I am guessing that this is because I don't have my system set up properly... Can anyone advise on the following:

- Anti Aliasing : should this be on in the game, in the Nvidia control panel, both?

- Are there any other recommended settings for Nvidia cards? (I can select the FS2004 profile in the Nvidia control panel, but can't seem to "apply" it... How good are these setting anyway?

- I have most of my sliders maxed out in the game. It seems when I turn something down or off (in either the display settings or the hardware settings) it actually slows the game down. What are some "general" settings that would still give me high quality.

- Are there any PC tuning tips (system restore off / indexing service disabled etc) that would help get more out of my system? It is quite an old system, but post dates FS2004 by some time and is well above the recommended specs, and the GFX card is brand new (as of yesterday).

Sorry for the long post. I was so excited this morning, and now am all p***ed off... I'm sure it's just a matter of tuning and tweaking, but I don't really know where to start!

Martin

Hello Martin,

Let the card do the Anti Aliasing and not the game. Also AA works better in fullscreenmode than windowed.

You may want to try running FS9 on one cpu only and let other add-ons like weather etc run on the other.

Also check the Transform and Lighting set to on by checing the box..

3D clouds can be a frame rate eater so try setting these to default or less.

FS9 can be a case of trial and error to get something you like so just play around with the settings till you get something that you can be comfortable with.

I noted that in the past that I had a spyware program running that caused my FS9 to get jerky at times as it nicked CPU time, having changed to a different one it ceased so you may want to check what else is runninmg in the background.

Every system is different so peoples settings do differ.

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for those tips. Will try them out - have already set FS9 to run on CPU0 and other addons (like Radar Contact / ActiveSky etc) on CPU1.

Will mess around with GFX card settings now... :D

All best,

Martin

Ok I seem to have things running slightly better - the biggest problem I have now is that object (not just Aerosoft products - everything) are not being drawn until I am quite close to them. How can this be resolved? I have seen a cloud draw distance slider, but can't find an objects one.

Has it got something to do with MIP maps?

Cheers,

Martin

Hmmm... one more thing sorry... I have turned AA off in the game but set it to "on" in the Nvidia control panel - however it is all jagged now and there seems to be no AA at all :-(

Also, I am using a "professional" FireWire audio interface (I am a musician in my spare t..... sorry, real job :-) ) and over "heavy" scenery I am getting noise and distortion through the speakers. Should I go back to using the onboard motherboard 7.1 audio?

Thanks,

Martin