"Fake" TCAS rel/abs selection?

Cheyenne Chief Pilot

• Deputy Sheriffs

I venture to say it depends on what you are used to. I have been flying ABS for 17 years and feel very comfortable with it. ;) 

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

(...) I have been flying ABS for 17 years and feel very comfortable with it. ;) 

Do those 17 years include ABS with the Airbus?   :huh:

11 hours ago, FrankieCRJ900 said:

ABS all day :P

Requesting REL for night ops then.   :D

4 hours ago, Enter display name here ;) said:

Do those 17 years include ABS with the Airbus?

Frank has many years experience in the CRJ and several Airbus aircraft, among others.

vor 31 Minuten, DaveCT2003 sagte:

Frank has many years experience in the CRJ and several Airbus aircraft, among others.

I venture to say that this does not answer the question asked about why is there a switch from ABS to REL but it does not seem to work as I experienced the same behaviour, And I do fly the aircraft and thus I like to have the settings I want to have and for me (the pilot flying) I would like more the REL readout. So maybe a person in charge can answer if this is indeed a "fake" button or if this is maybe a bug which will be corrected in an upcoming update. Thank you.

Regards

Henry

1 minute ago, HenryD said:

I venture to say that this does not answer the question

Excuse me sir, I merely answered one of your two questions. When you quote my answer and go a different direction, well then that's on you.

I think everyone understood your original post.

Best wishes.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

You are correct, Dave.

About 5.000 hours in the CRJ and Frank's been flying the Airbus after that.

AFAIK, the Airbus only has a REL readout. Which would support my point, that being able to switch between REL and ABS in the CRJ would make life a little bit easier when transitioning between aircraft types.

And as Henry ventured to say (sort of :P), there are even CRJ pilots IRL who prefer the REL setting.

vor 1 hour , DaveCT2003 sagte:

Excuse me sir, I merely answered one of your two questions. When you quote my answer and go a different direction, well then that's on you.

I think everyone understood your original post.

Best wishes.

It is not my original post but from Oliver just for the record and it was Oliver who posed two questions.

3 minutes ago, HenryD said:

It is not my original post but from Oliver just for the record and it was Oliver who posed two questions.

Okay, but the point still stands my friend. 

Best wishes.

Actually the point was ABS in the Airbus, not Frank in the Airbus ...

Frank in the Airbus goes uncontested ... unless he says ABS in Airbus, that's when the ABS (not the Frank) in the Airbus will be contested. Or maybe Frank's statement will be ... Or maybe even Frank will be (sort of :P).

... unless, of course, Frank flies so-called Hans editions of the Airbus IRL, then this would be a moot point ...   :lol:

Depending on the specific TCAS model: Honeywell (ACSS), Rockwell Collins or Bendix-King, and the hardware configuration options, ABS may (or may not) be available.

Some units have an ABS option, but it cannot be permanently selected - it will show target absolute pressure altitude for a brief period (10 or 15 seconds) and will then switch back to the default REL.

Other units have the ability to choose either ABS or REL full time.

Still others cannot select ABS at all... REL is the only option.

Excellent post (and, of course, excellent bladder ...   ;-)   ), Jim.

If I were a dev, I'd either model REL only, or both ...

1 hour ago, JRBarrett said:

(...)

Some units have an ABS option, but it cannot be permanently selected - it will show target absolute pressure altitude for a brief period (10 or 15 seconds) and will then switch back to the default REL.

(...)

Just noticed in one of my addon aircraft that this has been modeled already. Thank you, Jim!

Archived