Route/Airway trouble (probably my fault)

So I've consulted the instructional manual on the FMS (6) and on the CRJ(1) but I'm somehow not able to enter my airways for the respective waypoint.

When I go into the FPLN menu after selecting a SID, I'm able to enter one airway and one waypoint for that airway. When I then put in the airway again/a different airway to get me to the next waypoint, the first waypoint disappears, I can then put in the second waypoint, but the space for the first one stays black. This happens for every airway. The execute button doesn't change anything for this. On the LEGS page I then either find my waypoints seperated with route discontinuities or completely deleted.

Now I guess this is my fault and that I'm entering the data wrong. I tried to put in the data in different ways, since f.e. PMDG Boeings want to know the waypoint before letting me enter an airway for it, but for the CRJ I couldn't figure it out until now...

This has been an ongoing thing for me since version 1.0.0.2 where I bought the plane, so I think this is just something I've done wrong.

Another question I've had: In Boeings you're able to cycle through the flightplan with the step button on the navigation display, is this also possible in the CRJ?

If you're curious i use navigraph on the 1708 rev1 cycle in all my planes (including the CRJ) and PFPX.

Hello elButz,

The stanard method of entering a flight plan is to enter the Route first (which includes the airways), and only after that would you select your SIDs/STARs.  Try it that way and see if you have better luck?  Thanks for reading the manual, as it's a bit incorrect we'll be sure to update it. One thing though is that part of the manual wasn't really meant as a step by step guide but rather explains what the various functions are and do.  Still, I can see where it's confusing and leads someone to do things a bit backwards..

Thanks again!

Best wishes.

Another question I've had: In Boeings you're able to cycle through the flightplan with the step button on the navigation display, is this also possible in the CRJ?

Yes. 

Switch MFD Format to Plan and cycle with the up down arrows on the FMS through it 

vor 56 Minuten, Motormike sagte:

Switch MFD Format to Plan and cycle with the up down arrows on the FMS through it 

Thank you!

vor 7 Stunden , DaveCT2003 sagte:

The stanard method of entering a flight plan is to enter the Route first (which includes the airways), and only after that would you select your SIDs/STARs.  Try it that way and see if you have better luck?

Still no luck, the same thing as it had occured with the SID in place. Also I forgot to mention that once the spot where the first waypoint was turns black (when entering another or the same airway as before) that I can't put in the next waypoint because I'm "not allowed" to do this. I have to first enter the last waypoint for the blank space again and then enter the next waypoint. 

While this works, it copies the entered route up to that point behind the existing route. So for every waypoint that I enter correctly with the airway there's a new set of waypoints created with a route discontinuity in between (they are routed directly and again ignore the airways). This totally spams the FPLAN/LEGS pages full with sub-routes for every waypoint.

I'll explain this as an example for my last route: Routing goes from EDDM via MERS1P to MERSI, then via Y100 to ATMAX, via Y100 to OBUBI. I entered as minimal information as I could, so the POS INIT is set, then I switched to the FPLN page and entered the Origin/Dest, FLT No. and under TO the waypoint MERSI (or ATMAX) without via and hit EXEC. On page 2 I entered Y100 and ATMAX into the respective spots BUT when I then enter Y100 again for OBUBI, the field for ATMAX goes black and I can't enter OBUBI for "not allowed" or "not found". The twice entered Y100 stays in place. When I enter ATMAX into the blank spot again, I can then enter OBUBI, but ATMAX and OBUBI are copied to the next page of the FPLAN with direct routing and a route discontinuity between the first part that I entered and the one the FMS copied. If I now enter the next waypoint (Y100 to MOMUK) this process repeats.

Also sometimes if I enter ATMAX into the blank space where it belongs it won't show up and then I'm stuck and can't enter any further waypoints.

This whole thing also goes for entering the waypoints first or the airways first, entering a SID or not entering one, there's no difference...

The order in that I would do it normally is this:

1. enter departure and arrival airports and EXEC
  2. go to DEP/ARR page, select departure runway and the SID, then EXEC
  3. go to FPLN page 2
  4. enter Y100 and press LSK2L
  5. enter OBUBI and press LSK2R

What I don't understand is this why you try to enter Y100/ATMAX and Y100/OBUBI. Both are on the same airway. There's no point entering Y100/ATMAX at all.

vor 32 Minuten, Hans Hartmann sagte:

What I don't understand is this why you try to enter Y100/ATMAX and Y100/OBUBI. Both are on the same airway. There's no point entering Y100/ATMAX at all.

Well that seems to be the problem, works fine if I enter the last waypoint of every airway...

Why do I enter them? Because the Flightplan that PFPX gives me has those waypoints in it, I never had a problem entering every waypoint by itself.

If you look at SODRI on the screenshot from PFPX you'll see that the same airway changes directions, so I thought I'd be better off entering the waypoints to make sure the plane is 100% on track, I did not know the plane puts in all the other waypoints by itself (LEGS page) that I wanted to enter manually. Total game changer, always did this wrong, thanks a lot!!

Please login to display this image.

The point of an airway is that it automatically fills in the waypoints between the first and the last waypoint you chose. So, in case of Y100 the first would be MERSI and the last would be OBUBI. Here's an except from the nav database:

A,Y100,7
S,MAH,48.26343,11.31193,AMPEG,48.13222,11.17806,0,208,9.50
S,AMPEG,48.13222,11.17806,MERSI,47.98221,11.04259,211,252,10.50
S,MERSI,47.98221,11.04259,ATMAX,47.92960,10.74996,208,252,12.20
S,ATMAX,47.92960,10.74996,OBUBI,47.85250,10.33000,252,264,17.50
S,OBUBI,47.85250,10.33000,MOMUK,47.83861,9.99694,252,267,13.40
S,MOMUK,47.83861,9.99694,UMTEX,47.83756,9.62419,264,257,15.00
S,UMTEX,47.83756,9.62419,TRA,47.68950,8.43697,267,0,48.80

The waypoint where you start from is the last waypoint of your flightplan, in this case MERSI. If you enter Y100/OBUBI, the waypoints ATMAX and OBUBI will be added to your flightplan. If you enter Y100/UMTEX instead, it's going to be ATMAX, OBUBI, MOMUK and UMTEX.

Archived