Performance question

Hello!

I have done my first flight with the CRJ, she is nice. But I experienced weird performance problems... I had most of the time around 20 FPS, which is enough for me, but the overall performance was very stuttery with occasional freezes.

I know, the CRJ is not the only reason when it comes to bad performnace, but I have setup my FSX to run smooth in most conditions with most of my aircraft.

I just wanted to know if there is a focus on performance in some way for the future updates?

Thank you!

you're not the only one, there's another few threads about this it seems like some people are seeing much worse frames than others.

i have similar issue.. my system is very old ...  650GT, FX-se, 3.5ghz i7 ...so i do not expect very good frames, but my settings are already fairly conservative allowing me to have flyable fps with other complex planes like the pmdg etc. with the q400 under identical circumstances i get 25-30.

for some reason with the CRJ i am often getting as low as single digit fps in the cockpit, fluctuating from around 6-12fps. my external view fps fluctuate from 12-50ish range. one weird thing i notice is that frames are pretty good (mid 20s to 30s) immediately after loading but after a minute or so they nosedive and get stuttery. it also seems like they got lower after i started working in the FMS, as if the fps drop was related somehow to adding a flightplan but i can't really confirm that yet. i'm still experimenting a bit, but so far for me it is kind of unflyable which is what led me to the forums.

one person in the other thread mentioned turning off terrain and weather radar but this didn't seem to make a difference for me. 

i'm using a pretty standard array of addons.. in this case ftx global/vector (with many features deactivated)/openLC and active sky2016, and chaseplane. also have Utlive but deactivating that didn't seem to make a difference.

hope some other folks have ideas!! 

cheers,-andy crosby

vor 2 Stunden , Motormike sagte:

What is your pc specs and setups?

FX-6300, GeForce GTX 1050Ti and 16GB RAM... I think this is not THAT bad.

Aside of FSX (Boxed Gold Edition) I use Active Sky 2016, Navigraph Charts, FTX Global with Vector and Steves DX10 Fixer, FSUIPC registered (with all these nasty settings off like autosave)  and ChasePlane. 

My FSX settings are completely trimmed for Performance.... this is the reason why I think the problem is more on the planes side. I have no problems with PMDG NGX, 777 and Majestics Dash8 for example.

In this flight I used an default airport.

I am at my sleeping room PC, 16GB, FX6300, R9 290X and a 47" TV . (Spare parts, whats left over, except the TV)  I would not even think about FSX or P3D with it.(sorry) Whats your framerate at a standard airport witouth the addons? (vector eats a lot), Chaseplan uses also 5 to 13% cpu power (of my 4790k). Navigraph Charts 5 Beta (with simconnect) does stutters over time. 

vor 24 Minuten, Motormike sagte:

I am at my sleeping room PC, 16GB, FX6300, R9 290X and a 47" TV . (Spare parts, whats left over, except the TV)  I would not even think about FSX or P3D with it.(sorry) Whats your framerate at a standard airport witouth the addons? (vector eats a lot), Chaseplan uses also 5 to 13% cpu power (of my 4790k). Navigraph Charts 5 Beta (with simconnect) does stutters over time. 

Dont know the framerate without vector for example, because I dont want to change the running System :-) Navigraph without connection, dont use the moving map yet. Yeah, my specs are not the best but as I said, no problems with PMDG, Majestic, A2A... 

9 hours ago, andyman977 said:

aerosoft won't be investigating the issue

May be not Aerosoft, but I do. I have spare a Core i7-920 with a Geforce GTX 760 and 6GB of RAM which I consider to be the oldest and worst PC that the CRJ is supposed to run on. And it does it without any stuttering, no matter if I use FSX, FSX-SE, P3D v3 or P3D v4.

FX3600s are advertised as 6-core cpus. I hope those are physical cores and not marketing cores (aka hyperthreading). Assuming they are, you should make sure that not everything in FSX runs on the first core. There are several guides available on the internet on how to set CPU affinity for optimal frame rates. By doing that you can actually free CPU time on the first core for the FSX process itself (addon aircraft gauges are part of this process) and reduce or eliminate stutters.

Please note that neither me nor Aerosoft take any responsibility for the contents or use of this link!

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=hardware

I have an i7 6700k, gtx 1070 and two m.2 samsung discs for the sim. I like a lot this plane but I am not going to fly with it anymore because of the bad performance in FPS. I have pmdg 737, 777, a320 fslabs, carenado c525a cj2 and piper cherokee. Everyone are very very much better in fps. Today, this plane offers a flight with only 20-30 fps and continuous stutters, whichi I am not going to accept. I do not what´s happening but I am not time to look for a solution. The plane is the worst in performance.

On 14/8/2017 at 10:23 AM, andyman977 said:

Check this thread: 

Despite a good number of reports of poor FPS, aerosoft won't be investigating the issue.

I am not going to fly this plane if the performance obtained is that I have just to suffered in a LEMG > LEPA flight. 

• Aerosoft

We now have 26 customers who report unusual low framerates, upon many (many) thousands of sales. Of those 26 there are now 6 who have 'reset their systems) meaning a full reset of the sim, no traces left. Of there 6 there are 4 who have reported the issue is fully gone, for 2 we are still waiting. 3 have deleted all config, tweaks and add-ons and of those 2 reported the issue was fixed, one reported the issue was now worse. Go figure. Of the 26 customer's 11 have not responded to our comments. Lastly one of the 26 complained that he could not get 35 fps on his laptop that had a very high res screen. Or to be more precise, it was fast until it slowed down to a crawl. That slowdown was always at the same time the small fans started running at max power and a beep from the motherboard was heard. 

To say we are unwilling to investigate is silly. We have looked at this from every possible way. But as I have explained for literally EVERY single product we have ever released we have had these reports. They are always extremely nasty for the people involved but I have never seen it linked directly to a fault in the code. In some case we were able to offer a simpler version (basically just deleting stuff), in other cases where we offered tweaks that helped with people that had a bottleneck in there system. That was for example the case for people whose simconnect bus was overloaded by other add-ons in the Airbus.

At this moment we have NOT been able to find any such issue in the CRJ, the fact 75% of the people who re-installed the sim had the issue solved seems to indicate it was something local. We might never know. The fact other add-ons run faster does not offer a lot of information. I got one machine that is in my opinion perfect but that runs the PMDG 737 at a snail's pace. As Agustin I do not care to really find out what the reason is (it is just one of my three test beds), but for sure I will not blame the 737 for it. I know that aircraft works fine with tens of thousands of people (and my other three machines) after all.

But again saying we do care is simply not true, we simply do not have enough information to go on. If something works for thousands of people and not for 21 we have to look at the system and not the software. 

As I started this thread I had really bad FPS problems. I tried many things, nothing helped... but then I remembered the words of you Mathijs (I think you have to write this very often) in a lot of threads here on the forum - USE CFG TWEAKS WITH CARE.

I thought, okay I have nothing to loose, lets trie delete the Affinity Mask out of the FSX.cfg. This was my first thought because I had read somewhere that this tweak could lead to FPS problems and is not always helpful. So I startet FSX - alongside Active Sky 2016 - because I wanted to do a testflight with the CRJ. On startup Active Sky yelled at me that there is no Affinity Mask entry in the cfg and that AS2016 is able to autoconfigure this for me... I re-thinked my decision and clicked "Okay". Later on I checked on what number AS has set the Affinity mask, in my case it was 84.

The result was: My FPS skyrocketed up from around 10 up to 40, 50 and so on in the VC and over 100 on the outside view :lol: 

The moral of this is: use cfg tweaks with care! And let sometimes do AS the work for you ;)

• Aerosoft

Thanks for that post.

Let me be very honest. We hate those cfg tweaks. They cost us a bloody fortune in support because ANYTHING you do in there should be done with a very deep knowledge on exactly what is happening.  Those affinity mask tweaks for example are fine example. Many people tweak that without even knowing how many actual cores (not virtual) they have. They got a friend online who believes he had great benefit of some mask and his friends all use it. The fact they don't have the same amount of cores seems to be lost in that communication. So there you are, with a super i7 with 6 cores and that mask your friend has DISABLED 2 cores. 

• Microsoft was not crazy, other than the highmem tweak every single tweak you do has side effects. 
  • Lockheed is even less crazy and other then on very specific systems (8 core + SLI) I have never seen any confirmed proof that a tweak helped.
  • Dovetails is also not crazy and they did some good work on tweaking FSX. I have literally never seen any tweak that did not have more negative side effects the positive effects (making it faster means doing things faster and thus less looking not as good).

I know that people who spend months tweaking their sim will think I am crazy. But P3d V4 start on all of my systems when windows starts. And we done extensive side by side test on exactly identical hardware of all the major tweaks. We have invited people who written guides on tweaking into our office to show they could make systems perform better without affecting how things look. We simply have not seen it.

We honestly do not mind if you think tweaks make your sim better, we just ask that if you feel our software is not okay you test that on a system that is as Microsoft, Lockheed or Dovetails intended. I believe that is not too much to ask.

49 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We now have 26 customers who report unusual low framerates, upon many (many) thousands of sales. Of those 26 there are now 6 who have 'reset their systems) meaning a full reset of the sim, no traces left. Of there 6 there are 4 who have reported the issue is fully gone, for 2 we are still waiting. 3 have deleted all config, tweaks and add-ons and of those 2 reported the issue was fixed, one reported the issue was now worse. Go figure. Of the 26 customer's 11 have not responded to our comments. Lastly one of the 26 complained that he could not get 35 fps on his laptop that had a very high res screen. Or to be more precise, it was fast until it slowed down to a crawl. That slowdown was always at the same time the small fans started running at max power and a beep from the motherboard was heard. 

To say we are unwilling to investigate is silly. We have looked at this from every possible way. But as I have explained for literally EVERY single product we have ever released we have had these reports. They are always extremely nasty for the people involved but I have never seen it linked directly to a fault in the code. In some case we were able to offer a simpler version (basically just deleting stuff), in other cases where we offered tweaks that helped with people that had a bottleneck in there system. That was for example the case for people whose simconnect bus was overloaded by other add-ons in the Airbus.

At this moment we have NOT been able to find any such issue in the CRJ, the fact 75% of the people who re-installed the sim had the issue solved seems to indicate it was something local. We might never know. The fact other add-ons run faster does not offer a lot of information. I got one machine that is in my opinion perfect but that runs the PMDG 737 at a snail's pace. As Agustin I do not care to really find out what the reason is (it is just one of my three test beds), but for sure I will not blame the 737 for it. I know that aircraft works fine with tens of thousands of people (and my other three machines) after all.

But again saying we do care is simply not true, we simply do not have enough information to go on. If something works for thousands of people and not for 21 we have to look at the system and not the software. 

Mathijs I understand you are trying to tell but everybody that bought the plane is notno going to write in a forum you have to write, for example, in english.

I have not to made any changes in my pc. Everything is ok and I have not make any changes in my .cfg files. P3d v4 is fine, all the planes are ok, I have not gotgoany any problem with another piece of soft or games. When I started my flight in CRJ, I obtained low fps and great stutters in the VC and I inmediately thought... oh my god !!! because I like a lot the plane (and I can understand it has to be updated in some aspects) but... not the performance I was experiencing. I am very tired looking for solutions in relation to a concrete software and, sincerelly, you do not pay to me for doing that job.

I repeat everything looks good and goes fine in my pc, p3d v4 and the other planes (737, 777, c525a cj2...) and not with this plane. I do not mind if miles of customers are not reporting any problems, my problem is real and It is happening in a pc totally working good. 

I would like to say here that I have not got any problem with Aerosoft. Moreover, I am very confident with your work and likes your products. But, I am tired for having to look solutions when I simply bought a soft and It is not goes I expected. I repeat, I have a good pc and everything goes absolutely well. 

Regards Mathijs and sorry for my words in this moment. 

• Aerosoft

No problem Agustin, we indeed not pay you to debug why the software does work as you hope on your system. I got no problem if you decided it is not worthwhile. I also never said your issue was not real. I even explained I have systems that have similar issues. I do think however I can ask you to explain why you blame us when the software works on thousands of systems and not on yours. I believe that question is valid although you prefer to ignore it. Just as I stated twice that your problem is real and I do not deny it in any way.

We do take this issue very serious and I would love to know why it is slower than expected on your system.  We are at this moment working with some other customers trying to find out why. But as you say your system is absolutely not to blame it seem impossible to do the same with you. If you do not mind I will close the discussion. I am sorry you are an unhappy customer, but if there are issues on the customer's system we can only work with them, we can't take wild guesses on what might be wrong. We still hope to find any issue that links the customers that have issue with performance. We do NOT say they do not have issue, we just say we have no idea why it happens on their systems and not on thousands of others. Sorry to beat that home, but pure logic dictates they key is not in the software but on the system.

Again, as I said, as your system can't be the cause and you unwilling to comment on the thousands of users that do not have the issue you have, it seems further discussion seems futile, allow me to withdraw from this discussion. 

Mathijs, I have talked about the plane is not performing well in my computer, comparing it with other planes I am flying correctly. I have not blamed about Aerosoft and not talked about the other happy costumers. Moreover, I have exactly written "I would like to say here that I have not got any problem with Aerosoft. Moreover, I am very confident with your work and likes your products" BUT "I am tired for having to look solutions when I simply bought a soft and It is not goes I expected. I repeat, I have a good pc and everything goes absolutely well". I understand all you trying to tell me but You should understand my if I say that my computer is a very good pc and I have not any problem with anything. I am not going to uninstall p3d v4 if everything is ok and not CRJ, and I have nothing to change in my .cfg files because I have not changed anything on it. 

Many times (too times) the customers find problems in this sense. You buy something and later, it does not go as you expected. And, we are tired of spend a lot of time for looking solutions and fly correctly. You only have to take into account that there is one customer that, having a good pc and not having any problem with anything in the sim, is experiencing a bad performance with CRJ.- 

I would like to say you thanks for your continuous reply to my words and excuse me because I try to write in English and it is not very easy sometimes. As a last word... I repeat that I have not got any problem with Aerosoft. Moreover, I am very confident with your work and likes your products. I wish I find a solution to my problem with CRJ. I will try some things and if I solve it, I write here. 

Regards

I am going to try with the same conditions. My plane sometimes freezes and get sttuters in the VC, and with lower characteristics in the options, and I have i7 6700, 1070, 16 Gb Ram and M2 samsung 512 Gb. I do not know what´s happening. 

Thanks for the video. 

I obtain a good fps values (better than my previous settings although more unstable) but with frequent stutters in VC. Maybe, another day XD 

I have just obtained a better performance with these steps and the exact configuration shown by Motormike:

1. Orbx Vector.... de-activated secondary roads and similar non important facts.

2. AffinityMask = 116

3. In [TERRAIN], adding TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 (as someone recommend... nothing to loss testing) ;)

Stutters in taxi (an general) are lower but, sometimes, in VC appears. 

Thanks for your help Motormike. I was flying the bird and it´s absolutelly great. 

I dont like ORBX Vector...to much FPS loss. Affinity mask not necessary. Texture size exp higher incr. stutters. 

Delete prepar3d.cfg and let it rebuild at next start. 

The only tweak i have is 1/2 sync, 30 FPS limit (in inspector) and trueview in scenery.cfg set TRUE instead of false 

26 minutes ago, Motormike said:

I dont like ORBX Vector...to much FPS loss. Affinity mask not necessary. Texture size exp higher incr. stutters. 

Moreover ORBX Vector is not really useful with airliners :)

But don't forget that FPS is not not the most important performance indicator. 

• Aerosoft
11 hours ago, Agustin Castro said:

2. AffinityMask = 116

Riiiight, you do relealize that will slow the sim considerably on my machine? As I do not have the amount of cores that AM is intended for?

Giving this kind of advice without the context causes serious problems for many people. About 20% of our customers support consists in asking people to reset their config to remove 'tips they found on the internet" Some people even insert FS2004 tweaks. 

Hello, 

I spent almost all my day to look after any solutions in the forums. I do have a problem of bouncing frames in the CRJ that I don't have with other aircrafts. I'm using P3Dv4 , I have all the ORBX Open LC and FTX Range, Ma,y complex Airposts such as FT EHAM etc, I did my tests at the very last EDDF Pro. With the TFDi 717 and with the PMDG Range aircraft i can maintain a stable 30 fps (FPS locked in the NI) and everything is smooth. I have no tweaks. I have a clean install of P3D and already reseted my CFG files and cleared the shader folder. I even reinstalled the P3D client. The bouncing frames make my sim stutters and break the smooth experience I have with other aircrafts. My Sys is I7 6770 K OC at 4.4, GTX 1080 TI, 32 GO of RAM and an Samsung EVO960 1TB. Can you help me please?

Archived