VNAV explanation

Hi.

I'm not sure that I fully understand how VNAV works in CRJ.

For example on Q400 at TOD I will get V/DEV bar and activate VNAV mode.

How to perform this in CRJ. At TOD there is no vertical guidance bar.

I always thought that CRJ is more advance then Q400.

Thanks

BRGDS 

Hi,

right now I only flew easy profiles. I guess the CRJ does behave more like an ATR or a JS41 - there is no advanced VNAV management available. I perfrom as in the formerly mentioned aircrafts and this works fine.

Few miles before reaching the TOD I change the cruise altitude on the MCP, choose a slight rate in vertical speed and start the descent. After a while you see a white "snowflake" next to altimeter indicator in the PFD. This works like a glidepath in the ILS, but no automation, you have to manage it on you're own. If you are to low or to high, adjust the descent rate by changing V/S. And always keep the thrust levers in mind.

There are some threads by real pilots in the forum, they describe how it is done in the real world.The seem to exist different profiles in speed and sinkrate.

The VS switch allows you to enter a vertical speed you want the aircraft to fly. You're now responsible for maintaining airspeed with the throttles.

The SPEED switch allows you to enter an airspeed and the autopilot will manipulate the aircraft's vertical speed to try and meet it. 

Once at the selected altitude the aircraft will level off and the autopilot will maintain the selected altitude. You're now responsible for keeping your desired speed by using the throttles. 

The throttles have a CLIMB, TOGA, and MAX POWER detent to assist you during takeoff and climbout.

If you look at the DIR/TO page it lists the required V/S to meet the profile for waypoints with altitudes. Some real CRJ pilots have said this "profile" V/S should be on MFD when the VNAV function is enabled on it. Right now when you toggle VNAV on the MFD it just shows the next waypoint with an altitude restriction. The snowflake does work though but really it's only handy for flying RNAV approaches.

Archived