1.0.0.5 FMS Nav tracking went sour shortly before TOD

I was doing my standard test flight - DKTW 21R MOON8.JHW ELZ IREKE KELM with an ILS 24 approach.

Everything went great for most of the enroute phase. I was using ASP4 weather injection with a 35 knot tailwind coming from the right rear quadrant. FMS course tracking and waypoint switching were all fine.

The problem started when I was approaching the predicted TOD. In the first picture, I was still a few miles west of TOD near ELZ, and the FMS1 CDI was centered.

Please login to display this image.

About 60 second after I took this picture, I dialed down my altitude to 3,600 feet in preparation to initiate descent on SPD DES mode. Shortly after that, the FMS NAV suddenly "lost the plot". The white needle CDI deflected left, and the aircraft turned to follow - turning away from the upcoming waypoint.

Please login to display this image.

FMS NAV was kaput from this point on. Right after this photo, I did a DIRECT to ELZ, and the course line on the MFD updated - but the FMS CDI remained deflected full left from that point on, I had to navigate to IREKI in HDG select. Nothing I tried could get the FMS NAV tracking to re-center.

However, the ILS approach in APP mode worked great. NO issues with LOC or G/S capture

Jim Barrett

Archived