CRJ PACKS

hello,

i was wondering why the PACKS are not working, Frank Docter says packs behaviour is not modeled with the CRJ.(this was an old topic which a user was posting)

I think its not a point of modeling or a simulation point. It should not be right to ignore any physically rules of any simulated aircraft at this price clasification. The CRJ 700/900 doesnt show any actions in its EICAM when PACKS are off. i dont mean the abnormal features (which are not simulated) but it should have consequences to the EICAM or a warning at the Display also an Aural warning in the CRJ. I also wish that there could be any other standart outside aircraft views of this aircraft in the future. The plugout displays should also be fixed in their resulolution.

thank you

The packs work when operated in accordance with standard procedural flows that would be used in normal (non failure) aircraft operations. Failures or non-standard operations are not modeled. This is just my own opinion, but I I don't agree that $49 is the "price class" where it would be reasonable to expect that kind of thorough modeling - especially considering that even at the $49 level, the aircraft does emulate almost every system on the aircraft to at least some degree.

One can use an actual CRJ 700/900 flight manual checklist to perfrom all pre-takeoff flows, from first application of battery power through takeoff - including all first-flight-of-the-day tests of various onboard system, and see the very same results that an actual CRJ flight crew would see.

No matter how you look at it, turning both packs off at FL 350 is an abnormal event; a "failure mode". It's certainly not something that any pilot would do deliberately. The "consequence" (as some have noticed) is that the aircraft remains fully pressurized - or can even be pressurized with the packs off from the very beginning. Though perhaps that behavior may be changed in a future update, I think the developers have much more important things on their agenda right now, in these early post-release days - fixing "show stopper" bugs like the occasional CTD - and improving the accuracy and stability of the autopilot and FMS nav modes, which are important for every person who uses the aircraft.

The only flight sim aircraft that I own that does have extensive and accurate simulation of all normal and abnormal system operation is Aerowinx PSX - and that software costs almost $500 - 10 times the cost of the CRJ - and since it is a stand-alone simulation, it doesn't even include anything but the most basic external scenery. For that, you have to link it with FSX or P3D.

Even though it is in a "mid-price" class add-on (IMO), the CRJ does include a good selection of real-world failure consequences when virtual pilots do not properly follow checklists and procedures.

If the thrust reversers are not armed before landing, they will not deploy when called for. If the STAB TRIM, MACH TRIM and YAW DAMPERs are not all enabled before takeoff, the autopilot will not engage. Turning on engine and wing anti-ice in a climb causes a substantial reduction in available engine power - just as it does in the real aircraft. With the engine N1 sync switch "off", it is very difficult to keep the two engines running at the same speed without constant jockeying of the power levers - with SYNC "on", their speeds stay matched up very well.

No, not every system is "fully or completely" modeled - but it would certainly not be fair to say that half of the cockpit switches are dummies, as someone else has claimed.

Is there room for improvement in the CRJ? Of course. But at the moment I think the developers need to prioritize optimizing the truly important aircraft systems that affect every single customer who operates the aircraft.

Jim Barrett    

Archived