Photo tails.....I think they look horrible!

See what I mean? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I know the limitations, I know the drawbacks of photo textures.  However I have to say in P3d V4... some of the anomalies associated with photo textures are not as bad as in previous versions. 

I have to tell you that when I'm panning around the plane, the textures are doing a pretty good job of playing nice with the baked in reflections.

This is what a Lufthansa photo tail looks like on the CRJ.

Note that the shadow covering the "KI" is being generated by the sim...is it NOT painted on (In the past they were normally painted on)

Please login to display this image.

Here is another camera angle, same time of day, aircraft in the same relative position.  

Now, here is another shot, with the same angle as the 1st pic.  but different time of day and aircraft position (I rotated it).  Note the change in the shadow position.

What do you guys think?

Hey Steve,

Been a long time fan of your paints (Cantu...IFDG) - you would have to be one of the best and been around a long time.

I - as a user - am generally not a fan of photo textures, but they don't look too bad.

My biggest gripe these days is that with HDR and the like the aircraft can look like they have 20 layers of gloss enamel on them - a but too shiny.

Keep up the great work.

Scott

On 8/7/2017 at 11:39 PM, ScottyBs said:

Hey Steve,

Been a long time fan of your paints (Cantu...IFDG) - you would have to be one of the best and been around a long time.

I - as a user - am generally not a fan of photo textures, but they don't look too bad.

My biggest gripe these days is that with HDR and the like the aircraft can look like they have 20 layers of gloss enamel on them - a but too shiny.

Keep up the great work.

Scott

Thanks Scott!

Say what you will about photo tails....one this is for sure, for static shots, they can't be beat!

I'm kind'a glad nobody's interested in me finishing and uploading this paint....I have enough planes already stacked in my paint hangar anyway. :)  

Man, I haven't heard that name in a long time!  I do remember SGA though...that was another freeware group I was a member of.  Plus "Kind of" a member of Vistaliners...the small group Eric created as an offshoot. 

vor 3 Stunden , steve dra sagte:

I'm kind'a glad nobody's interested in me finishing and uploading this paint....I have enough planes already stacked in my paint hangar anyway. :)  

Hi Steve,

no, of course I'm interested! I just saw it and was amazed by the superb quality. I really admire your work and especially all your beautiful Lufthansa repaints. 

Thanks a lot for all your work and please continue to share it with us :)

Greetings

Tim

6 hours ago, Sar71 said:

Hi Steve,

no, of course I'm interested! I just saw it and was amazed by the superb quality. I really admire your work and especially all your beautiful Lufthansa repaints. 

Greetings

Tim

Thanks Tim!

I have to admit that Lufthansa is probably my favorite airline to paint and fly....I'm horrible at flying and decent at painting...so I tend to paint more LH's than I fly.

Out of all my LH 747s....I probably fly this one the most (since I'm a freightdog by preference)

I know its fictional...but it was requested by the man who brought us the Linda module, Güenter Steiner...and I always take care of fellow simmers who also contribute to our hobby. 

Oh, you and Scott should check your inboxes in a few minutes. ;);)

7 hours ago, Sar71 said:

Hi Steve,

Greetings

Tim

Oh, and I'd extend a thank you for all your great paints as well.  If I ever get into GA, your Texans, Cessna's, Antonov's will be in my hangar!

I love your Condor on the LDS 767.  Sadly I stopped flying her when I moved to FSX...but I'm having thoughts of reviving her in P3d.  Did you see her big sister I included in my LH Fleet paints? ;)

vor 16 Stunden , steve dra sagte:

Did you see her big sister I included in my LH Fleet paints? ;)

Oh yes, of course! I did not had the plan to buy the new PMDG 747 as I prefer to fly shorter routes with smaller aircraft (like the CRJ). But after seeing your Lufthansa fleet package I quickly changed my mind. 

Thanks a lot for sending me your excellent LH tail texture! I highly appreciate it :)

Greetings
Tim

Archived