Napoli and Madeira Autogen vs. ORBX

masterhawk

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi,

if you run Napoli and/or Madeira together with ORBX you maybe noticed, that the autogen entries in the default.xml are overwritten each time you start FTX Central. As result you will loose autogen in the two addons (madeira trees, napoli some buildings). To get them back, you had to reinstall the two addons.

Here is a much better interim solution:

FSX and P3Dv2/3/4:

required tool:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/autogen-configuration-merger.147/

Then you have to place the content of following files inside "NapoliX" and/or "MadeiraXEvolution" folder.

MadeiraXEvoautogen_tool.rarUpdated 27. Oct 2017

NapoliXautogen_tool.rarUpdated 27. Oct 2017

alternative only for P3Dv3/4: Don't use this method, still some issues. Use the one with the tool.

Place the content of the files inside your "...\Documents\Prepar3D v3/4 Add-ons" folder.

MadeiraXEvoAutogen.rarUpdated 27. Oct 2017

NapoliXAutogen.rarUpdated 27. Oct 2017

Please give me some feedback, if all is working as expected.

I can not give support for the tool.  The install process is described in the developer manual.

As written, this is an interim solution. The dev will contact ORBX, so with the next ORBX LIBS all will be maybe fine.

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 1 hour , Raymond66 sagte:

Where is this file? I have several, but is it the one in ...\FSX\Autogen ?

Yes, I'm talking about that one.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for providing this.

Unfortunately using your second method in P3Dv4 caused me to lose some of the ORBX autogen in certain sceneries. See, for example,

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/142903-old-warden-missing-autogen-trees/

Using the first method seems to work fine.

All the best,

John

• Deputy Sheriffs
On 11.10.2017 at 3:33 PM, John Burgess said:

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately using your second method in P3Dv4 caused me to lose some of the ORBX autogen in certain sceneries. See, for example,

All the best,

John

Thanks, I will check.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Bob,

All the best,

John

Hi, I can confirm!

On 8/7/2017 at 10:19 PM, masterhawk said:

As written, this is an interim solution. The dev will contact ORBX, so with the next ORBX LIBS all will be maybe fine.

Hello Bob has MK contacted ORBX have they come up with a solution? is it safe to install MK scenery. Last time I installed a MK scenery I Iost 98% my auto gen vegitation. After uninstalling MK scenery all the autogen was fixed.

I am using the the autogen merger tool from Scenery Design, and it did not help. Only uninstalling the MK scenery did the job.

Regards

Sebastian

• Deputy Sheriffs
8 hours ago, Seb said:

Hello Bob has MK contacted ORBX have they come up with a solution? is it safe to install MK scenery. Last time I installed a MK scenery I Iost 98% my auto gen vegitation. After uninstalling MK scenery all the autogen was fixed.

I am using the the autogen merger tool from Scenery Design, and it did not help. Only uninstalling the MK scenery did the job.

Regards

Sebastian

Hi, I don’t know if they contacted them. I will ask them.

But there should no problem with the autogen and the regular installer. Only if you run ORBX Config you will end without MK autogen.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Bob,

All the best,

John

Fixed the problem. It was the wrong encoding of the default.xml. I used UTF-8 and it should be UTF-16 little endian with ByteOrderMarker.

19 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

Fixed the problem. It was the wrong encoding of the xml.

So we should redownload and retry the rar files in #1?

Kind regards, Michael

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 minutes ago, pmb said:

So we should redownload and retry the rar files in #1?

Kind regards, Michael

Yes! Will make it visible in #1

Hi Bob,

thanks for your efforts. I tried your second method (with files from 27.Oct) with NapoliX, but unfortunately nearly all autogen trees in Orbx Southampton are lost. I'm not an expert, but I imagine by activating a default.xml (via the add-on.xml), the original one is discarded by P3D as it can only use one default.xml. I think the tool (method1) adds the content of the .xml file to the default.xml instead of replacing it. So it seems to be waiting for MK or using the tool (method1)

Best wishes

Tom

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, Tom_L said:

Hi Bob,

thanks for your efforts. I tried your second method (with files from 27.Oct) with NapoliX, but unfortunately nearly all autogen trees in Orbx Southampton are lost. I'm not an expert, but I imagine by activating a default.xml (via the add-on.xml), the original one is discarded by P3D as it can only use one default.xml. I think the tool (method1) adds the content of the .xml file to the default.xml instead of replacing it. So it seems to be waiting for MK or using the tool (method1)

Best wishes

Tom

Hi, I will test. I had a similar problem with ORBX Germany south. But it was gone after my update. That is really tricky.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I tested again my files with add-on.xml method. Now no luck. Both methods use the same default.xml file.

At the moment I have no idea what is going on. The method with the tool works without errors.

The SDK states regarding the add-on.xml cathegory:

Autogen - Refers to a component that adds an additional autogen directory that Prepar3D can use to resolve autogen files.

Obviously it does not work as expected.

Hi there

There is a simple trick to switch between regular Autogen, which most of the scenery designer use and ORBX. All you need to do is, before you start the sim, decide if you are going to fly in an ORBX region or not.

If you fly ORBX, launch FTXCentral, wait a few minutes for the message "activating scenery" to show up in the lower left corner. Then launch the sim and fly.

If you want to fly the rest of the world which has no ORBX, then run the AGX installer before launching the sim. http://www.francevfr.com/agx.htm

As longs as ORBX thinks they are something better than the rest, we will not have a convenient setup. At least some developers realized that they have to link together when it comes to autogen.

Cheers

Martin

I think it's about time for someone from MK to chime in. Fuerteventura has been updated recently, so Naples (and Madeira) should deserve the same treatment imho. I'm not too keen to have all sorts of 'tools' running as my current addons already make it very complex to identify the culprit in case of issues. A simple statement that the issue will be fixed- if it will - would suffice.

@Martin: Yes, Orbx is a bit ruthless when it comes to "bending" the sim to their liking. But as I understand FTX Central adds content to the default.xml, and to my knowledge that's what tools like "agx" and the "autogen-configuration manager" do - on a temporary basis. I find the last mentioned tool (method1) superior as it would allow for NapoliX and Orbx to be used simultaneously. In any case: Thank you for your proposal

Running the AGNX is can restore the Autogen for my sceneries in 90% of the cases. Being this France VFR, Austria Prof, CH Prof, Spain Ortho, ... But if I cross the border from CH to GES, then I get no autogen. All flat.

• Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, MartinM said:

Running the AGNX is can restore the Autogen for my sceneries in 90% of the cases. Being this France VFR, Austria Prof, CH Prof, Spain Ortho, ... But if I cross the border from CH to GES, then I get no autogen. All flat.

But therefor also the MK-Studio defenitionions need to be added to AGNX.

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, Tom_L said:

I think it's about time for someone from MK to chime in. Fuerteventura has been updated recently, so Naples (and Madeira) should deserve the same treatment imho. I'm not too keen to have all sorts of 'tools' running as my current addons already make it very complex to identify the culprit in case of issues. A simple statement that the issue will be fixed- if it will - would suffice.

@Martin: Yes, Orbx is a bit ruthless when it comes to "bending" the sim to their liking. But as I understand FTX Central adds content to the default.xml, and to my knowledge that's what tools like "agx" and the "autogen-configuration manager" do - on a temporary basis. I find the last mentioned tool (method1) superior as it would allow for NapoliX and Orbx to be used simultaneously. In any case: Thank you for your proposal

The update for Fuerteventura is also not optimal. They switched from the add-on.xml method to direct editing of the main default.xml. These entries are gone as soon as you start FTX Central. But in the instal folder is an autogen fix.exe that rewrites the entries to the main default.xml. You need to start this process manually every time after you started FTX Central. It is like Austria Pro HD with their autogen fixer (included in the installer).

At the moment the superior solution is the autogen configuration merger. It is used by Tropicalsim and now also by Justsim.

If you load the AGNX files also via the autogenconfigurationmerger, you have one active set with all definitions. In this case FranceVFR.

Yep, I think I will give the autogenconfigurationmanager a try as it seems to be the best solution. I didn't realize autogen merging as a problem until now, but it seems all developers are struggling to come up with the best solution. 29Palms, who have delayed their Skiathos update until P3D v4.1 was out announced further delay and probably the use of said tool as LM failed to fix the issue. Quote 29Palms: " The recently released Prepar3D v4.1 still doesn't support autogen merging". And I think Lars knows what he's talking about. So no wonder your second method didn't work (obviously it's a bug, as it should work according to the SDK). Thanks again for your efforts, Bob.

• Deputy Sheriffs
7 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

Yep, I think I will give the autogenconfigurationmanager a try as it seems to be the best solution. I didn't realize autogen merging as a problem until now, but it seems all developers are struggling to come up with the best solution. 29Palms, who have delayed their Skiathos update until P3D v4.1 was out announced further delay and probably the use of said tool as LM failed to fix the issue. Quote 29Palms: " The recently released Prepar3D v4.1 still doesn't support autogen merging". And I think Lars knows what he's talking about. So no wonder your second method didn't work (obviously it's a bug, as it should work according to the SDK). Thanks again for your efforts, Bob.

So let’s wait for 4.2

My files are still in post one. Maybe they work with the next P3Dv4 update.

I have been using AutogenConfigurationMerger for quite some time now, not yet for Madeira, but for some other Sceneries. It is a really clever solution and has been working flawlessly. If you use SimStarter, it does even have a configuration entry for it, so it can be run silently in the backgroud and doing its work while starting the sim (otherwise you may be asked to restart the sim if it detects that FTX Central removed your entries).

Will try it with Madeira when I find time.

Aside this, I think a final and working autogen merging solution by LM is overdue.

Kind regards, Michael

Archived