reverse and GPWS issues

moekarout

hello there, 

everytime i fly either the 700 or the 900 when i land i cannot deploy reverse no matter what, the throttle it self engages the reverse but nothing happens, like you can see the reverse handles engage but nothing happens, reversers dont deploy and speed is not affected at all 

also, if i get any ''TERRAIN TERRAIN' warning by the GPWS even if you correct the issue the ND always shows TERRAIN and you lose control over the ND totally, you cant view wx or anything, also if you get '' dont sink'' it will never stop, it will keep going forever even if you correct the issue, anyone having the same issue ?

Regarding the reverse thrust issue: In the CRJ, you have to arm both reversers in order to make them work. There are two switches on top of the central pedestal. It's a quirk of the CRJ that one has to get used to (me too).

Regarding the GPWS issue: I had two "TERRAIN TERRAIN" warnings as well shortly after take off. One warning occurred after taking off Palma de Mallorca's runway 24L - although the only terrain there is the earthwall shortly behind the threshold of runway 06R, which I overflew with sufficient safety distance. The other warning occurred after taking off Düsseldorf's runway 23L - where really no obstacles are in the way.

And during a traffic pattern around Paderborn/Lippstadt, I got "TERRAIN" warnings when I overflew some hills in the northeast of Paderborn, even if I had sufficient safety distance there, too. And I wasn't even descending but maintaining my altitude (3,000 ft.). So the GPWS seems to be a bit oversensitive. Therefore I'd be interested in a solution for that problem, too.

And during a traffic pattern around Paderborn/Lippstadt, I got "TERRAIN" warnings when I overflew some hills in the northeast of Paderborn, even if I had sufficient safety distance there, too. And I wasn't even descending but maintaining my altitude (3,000 ft.). So the GPWS seems to be a bit oversensitive. Therefore I'd be interested in a solution for that problem, too.

The real Honeywell Mark V EGPWS will sometimes do exactly the same thing - giving intermittent (single) "Terrain" alerts when flying over hills - usually when inbound to an airport for landing, but before extending gear and flaps.

It typically seems to happen when the terrain consists of a series of hills and valleys, where the radar altimeter readout is quickly fluctuating because of the undulations in the ground below.

The real and simulated CRJ have a button to temporarily silence the EGPWS, located on the center console. The button is clickable in the sim, but I am not sure if it actually has any effect.

Thanks for the explanation, @JRBarrett! Could it be that the real Honeywell Mark V EGPWS also reacts oversensitively to earthwalls or other elevations that are located not far from the runway threshold, like near Palma de Mallorca's 6R (as described above)? Or is this a bug in the Aerosoft CRJ?

• Aerosoft

Well, we read the distance between where FS tells us the ground is and the wheels. So if you fly over a earthwall it might be picked up. 

On an approach to Schiphol a few years back i noticed the radar alt picked up a high truck on the highway in front of the runway (fsx will not do that, lol).

Thanks for the explanation, @JRBarrett! Could it be that the real Honeywell Mark V EGPWS also reacts oversensitively to earthwalls or other elevations that are located not far from the runway threshold, like near Palma de Mallorca's 6R (as described above)? Or is this a bug in the Aerosoft CRJ?

I don't think something like an earth embankment would cause it. The EGPWS changes it's alert logic when the aircraft is in landing configuration, with gear and flaps down. This should suppress the "TERRAIN TERRAIN" alert caused by the underlying terrain getting continuously closer - which, of course, is unavoidable and expected when landing.

In landing config, the primary alert would be "sink rate" if the descent rate is excessive The alert threshold varies by model. On the aircraft I work on it goes off at 2700 FPM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well, we read the distance between where FS tells us the ground is and the wheels. So if you fly over a earthwall it might be picked up. 

On an approach to Schiphol a few years back i noticed the radar alt picked up a high truck on the highway in front of the runway (fsx will not do that, lol).

On 8/7/2017 at 1:46 AM, FWAviation said:

Regarding the reverse thrust issue: In the CRJ, you have to arm both reversers in order to make them work. There are two switches on top of the central pedestal. It's a quirk of the CRJ that one has to get used to (me too).

Regarding the GPWS issue: I had two "TERRAIN TERRAIN" warnings as well shortly after take off. One warning occurred after taking off Palma de Mallorca's runway 24L - although the only terrain there is the earthwall shortly behind the threshold of runway 06R, which I overflew with sufficient safety distance. The other warning occurred after taking off Düsseldorf's runway 23L - where really no obstacles are in the way.

17 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

The real Honeywell Mark V EGPWS will sometimes do exactly the same thing - giving intermittent (single) "Terrain" alerts when flying over hills - usually when inbound to an airport for landing, but before extending gear and flaps.

It typically seems to happen when the terrain consists of a series of hills and valleys, where the radar altimeter readout is quickly fluctuating because of the undulations in the ground below.

The real and simulated CRJ have a button to temporarily silence the EGPWS, located on the center console. The button is clickable in the sim, but I am not sure if it actually has any effect.

makes sense
most of my landings have been on EDDF 25R where terrain isnt very flat, but my problem is not in the callout it self 
the problem is: when TERRAIN callout or '' dont sink'' go off, the ND will be overriden by the terrain view instead of wx, and when this happens i lose total control over the nd in terms of radar views, like siwtching it back to wx or anything even if the callout is gone and there is no more warning or obstacle, even if i go around, i even lose control on viewing traffic. so total loss of interaction with the ND.  this happens with any groud proximity warning. and the worst is if i get '' dont sink'' it will never stop until i go around and reach 5000 feet 

• 1 month later...

Did you check the latest EGPWS database software update? we had a similar issue on an 800XP while landing in Mauritania, got TERRAIN warning although there were no obstacles; after investigation it turned out the EGPWS had a very old version which did not include that airport 

• 8 months later...

For those who incorrectly received downvotes in this thread... we have dealt with the issue, and I've upvoted your posts originally downvoted in order to offset the downvotes.  Plus they were all very good posts.

Our apologies for your having received the downvotes.

• 6 months later...

I've still got problems with the Terrain bug while landing in Kuala Lumpur (WMKK) on runway 32R. 

On 5/13/2018 at 9:26 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

For those who incorrectly received downvotes in this thread... we have dealt with the issue, and I've upvoted your posts originally downvoted in order to offset the downvotes.  Plus they were all very good posts.

Our apologies for your having received the downvotes.

Archived