Lights too bright

My lights are too bright in p3d v4 (dynamic lighting enabled). thats the taxi lights and navlights. you can even see the outline of the light beam on the left nav light.

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

I have the same and it would be great if you could provide the originals. I have no backup of the original P3Dv4 installation. I have a couple of airports adapted to P3Dv4 installed and difficult to chase backward.

What are the name of the files that were changed so we can at least verify if ours were changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Developer

I have checked those files in the P3Dv4\effects\textures folders and they (fx_1.bmp, same for 3 and 5) carry the same time stamp 24-05-2017 as many other fx_xxx files in that directory. I looked also into my P3Dv3,  same location and saw there that just those fx_x.bmp files carry a 30-09-2016 time stamp, again as many others.

For a test I copied the v3 Files to V4 and it had no effect on the appearance of the lights in v4 while v3 is good.

Any other ideas to identify a file change by another add-on???

I see no fx_4.bmp in my directory. I checked with two other users with default v4 installs and there is no fx_4.bmp. And the CRJ does not install any FX_X.bmp because all of mine 1, 2, 3, 5, are dated 5-24-2017. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the CRJ. I have the original files installed and still my lights seem ti illuminate everything far too much.  Hopefully fixed in next patch.

• Aerosoft

Dynamic Lights are hugely affected by brightness and bloom. And of course high settings of Dynamic Reflections could very well cause what you show. At higher settings my sims looks like a cartoon and I find all settings except the low setting unusable.

On 8/7/2017 at 7:27 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Dynamic Lights are hugely affected by brightness and bloom. And of course high settings of Dynamic Reflections could very well cause what you show. At higher settings my sims looks like a cartoon and I find all settings except the low setting unusable.

Hi Mathijs, 

I do find the lighting very bright on my end. Is there not a way to reduce the brightness of the lights themselves? Without tampering with my current HDR settings?

Thank you.

• Aerosoft

Sure we can do that. But that would lower the brightness at night a LOT.  We are really up against the limits of the sim at this point.
I have no big problems with releasing a specific version for people who want to taxi to the gate with landing lights on, but are we really sure we want that?

14 minutes ago, Christian85 said:

Reduce it its to bright -_- looks unreal and ugly......

A video of a CRJ landing with landing lgihts off and a random photo shot with the longest lens the photographer could find. That doesn't exactly prove your point.

37 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Sure we can do that. But that would lower the brightness at night a LOT.  We are really up against the limits of the sim at this point.
I have no big problems with releasing a specific version for people who want to taxi to the gate with landing lights on, but are we really sure we want that?

Thanks for your response. Even with the single taxi light, it illuminates the buildings to a substantial amount. Even during the day, it's pretty bright. I've tried to reduce the HDR setting but it still looks a little excessive. 

I appreciate your time. 

• Aerosoft
35 minutes ago, Christian85 said:

Reduce it its to bright -_- looks unreal and ugly......

Okay, you deliver us the sim that can do what your images show and we'll try.  So far we have seen an image in the sim of a CRJ that has its landing lights on while docked at the gate (show us a real image of that and we'll try to recreate that). You might be terribly surprised how bright landing lights are on a real aircraft. They are NOT like car headlights, they are dozens of times brighter.

Would you be so kind to show us how the landing lights look day and night (12:00 and 24:00) at Nurnberg airport? And yes the location matters as the light effects differ per location. And please tell us what you consider more important because as said, you can have them looking great during the day or during the night, not both.

Add a screenshot of your dynamic light settings because if you have all at max there is really nothing we can do. Only Lockheed can (and they won't because they need these settings for professional laser based display systems that tend to be low on LODs.)

And I hope you do realize the video you inserted shows a landing WITHOUT landing lights? 

first a screen have to be calibrated. then the graphic card, finally the sim. brightness, contrast, gamma and rgb levels.

try it, that works!

(by seeing the first screenshot, nothing is done)

Archived