CRJ Real World Tips/Techniques

2 hours ago, GCRR said:

Good evening,

Please, one question for you very helpful "Real World Pilots" here in the forum :

Quite frequently i use to travel between GCRR and GCLP, mainly with BINTER Canarias´ CRJ900/K and they always perform a single engine taxi untill they approach the runway, so i´d like to know how you do it (APU/Bleed-wise), which engine to use for taxiing and if there´s a special procedure/checklist for it. I guess it´s Company SOP dependant but just to get a slight idea on how to do it, as i couldn´t find anything related in the provided documentation.

Many thanks in advance :)

Regards, Lars

We go out single engine (Right Engine On) with the APU on. Left in Auto, the system will use the APU as the primary bleed source if the APU is running. Once we start the Left Engine, we shutdown the APU. 

The Bleed Valves switch stays in Auto the entire time. 

We run the right engine for single engine taxi because the outboard brakes are on Hydraulic system 2, so with the engine driven pump powered you can leave all four hydraulic switches on the overhead in Auto. Alternatively you can start the left engine and turn the far right (Hyd sys 2) to ON and you'll get full brakes. Inboard and outboard. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I thought someone had asked this already, but looking through the thread I guess my memory was wrong.  Are bleeds / packs off takeoffs performed often?  If so...what does that process actually look like (do you turn the bleed dial thing to closed....or just turn the packs off, or something else?)  In that case would you use the APU to supply bleed air for the packs during the takeoff in that case?

1 hour ago, imemyself said:

Oh, I thought someone had asked this already, but looking through the thread I guess my memory was wrong.  Are bleeds / packs off takeoffs performed often?  If so...what does that process actually look like (do you turn the bleed dial thing to closed....or just turn the packs off, or something else?)  In that case would you use the APU to supply bleed air for the packs during the takeoff in that case?

Very rare. I've done 2 in ~800 hours of time in the CRJ900. 

It is very simple. You don't touch any of the bleed controls. Just leave the APU running. That's is. 

8 hours ago, Brendan154 said:

We go out single engine (Right Engine On) with the APU on. Left in Auto, the system will use the APU as the primary bleed source if the APU is running. Once we start the Left Engine, we shutdown the APU. 

The Bleed Valves switch stays in Auto the entire time. 

We run the right engine for single engine taxi because the outboard brakes are on Hydraulic system 2, so with the engine driven pump powered you can leave all four hydraulic switches on the overhead in Auto. Alternatively you can start the left engine and turn the far right (Hyd sys 2) to ON and you'll get full brakes. Inboard and outboard. 

Hi Brendan154,

That´s exactly what i wanted to know, very informative, thanks a lot !

Regards, Lars

How often are flaps 8 used for takeoff vs flaps 20?  Is the primary consideration runway length?

Do you always use flaps 45 for landings?  Or are lower flaps settings used at times?

6 hours ago, imemyself said:

How often are flaps 8 used for takeoff vs flaps 20?  Is the primary consideration runway length?

Do you always use flaps 45 for landings?  Or are lower flaps settings used at times?

Where I am, takeoff flaps are decided by the company and our ACARS/Flight release data just tells us which setting we are usuing. But more often than not in the 700/900 it seems to be flaps 8.

For landing flaps we use flaps 45 every time.

• 1 month later...

This is a hugely useful thread.  I have never conquered a really accurate descent in the CRJ.  I agree the Speed Mode descent is steep and inaccurate, or if one does use the throttle, then it is much the same as a VS descent which is more accurate.  I tend to use the Dir Intc information and VS to get me to the lowest key altitude that I want... is this ok?  I skip the angles between waypoints unless the altitude is mandatory.  But I fear it will be some time before I get a smooth continuous descent, if ever (sigh).  But this real world advice is exactly what I have been seeking, Thank you all.

I made such a hash of an approach into Lyon LFLL in the CRJ that I re-flew the exercise in a 737-600.  The Boeing was spot on accurate, but the CRJ is more challenging by a country mile.

• 7 months later...

Hello Guys,

two questions for real pilots:

1. In my FCOM the first flight of the das flow and check is followed by the turnaround flow and check. But where do I start, when I already performed a flight on that day? I‘d say the shutdown flow and check completes flight 1 and the turnaround check and flow starts flight no 2, is that correct?

2. The hole chapter normal operations doesn‘t say to check the GPWS, why is that so?

thanks for your help!

thanks for your reply, very much appreciated!

The manual I have is from mesaba for the CRJ 900 (found it on google). The „turnaround checklist“ contains items like briefing, pressurization, fms & acars, efis, fuel etc.

Interesting that the procedures are so much different from operator to operator. 

Another question: I‘m still trying to figure out the purpose of the XFR-switch of the mcp, is it correct to say, that by pressing the switch the autopilot uses the FO FD as source?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a general question about airline ops --

Does ATC always direct you around thunderstorm/convection areas as you're flying?   Or, if your aircraft is equipped with radar, do you use that to make a heading change to avoid the storms?

36 minutes ago, Mace_RB said:

I have a general question about airline ops --

Does ATC always direct you around thunderstorm/convection areas as you're flying?   Or, if your aircraft is equipped with radar, do you use that to make a heading change to avoid the storms?

A lot of times ATC will let you know of any weather along your route as you get closer and let you know what planes ahead of been doing in terms of deviations. We also use ACARS to contact dispatch, weather radar on board and visual cues as much as we can to determine what may the best option for us.

Archived