Recently we have seen a lot of codes used to unlock our products being offered for discounted prices. Almost all of them are bought using stolen credit cards. These codes will all be blocked by our systems and you will have to try to get your money back from the seller, we are unable to assist in these matters. Do be very careful when you see a deal that is almost too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jm8592

Autopilot could some fine tuning

Usually I don't engage the AP before FL100 (this plane is awesome to fly by hand), I'll try next flight :)

Anyway @FL100, to increase the speed from 250 to 290kts in speed (climb) mode, the vertical speed is 100-1000 feets, depending the gw probably (it works 100% on 20 flights).

I'm not a pilot but a developper, if I need to build this algorhthm : more the delta between the current speed and the target speed is small less the vertical speed will change.

eg. I'm climbing @2000fpm and I need to increase the speed from 250kts to 290 kts I will not change the vertical speed from 2000fpm to 100 for 15 seconds then 100 to 2000...

I'm a cleavy boy and I'll calculate the best option, maybe 2000fpm to 1000fpm for 25 seconds then go back to 2000fpm.

(and if I've enought power - eg light gw - I'll not intervene at all on the vertical speed)

ps sorry for my poor english

7 hours ago, blahhh said:

ps sorry for my poor english

No problem at all.

7 hours ago, blahhh said:

more the delta between the current speed and the target speed is small less the vertical speed will change.

And I'm no developer, but yes I think that would work. Thanks for taking a look at it! :)

The CRJ autopilot is not very modern or clever ;) . It will get you the speed you want and it will do so without descending if in CLB mode, but that's about it. From experience I would say there is no connection between the amount of speed change requested and the way it will try to get you that speed. It will always pitch down and reduce vertical speed to somewhere in between 100-1000. Depending on the speed trend it might only get to 800fpm instead of 200fpm before it has to pitch up again to maintain the new speed, but that's about it.

Right, thanks for putting it more clearly than I could. I started to try and think about what blahhh was describing and from his prospective, as a developer, building an algorithm, just confusing myself more :huh:

The autopilot always reacts the same. It always wants to get to near level flight to capture whatever new target speed you set, weather it is in a climb or a descent. If the amount of speed change is small, it does result in a smaller pitch change by the autopilot, but only because, as Propane says, it doesn't have a chance to get to near level, before it has to pitch back again to maintain the new bugged speed. Not because the autopilot reacts differently to the small change. 

The autopilot can also be manipulated into making smaller pitch corrections, by the crew, by how quickly or slowly they make power and/or speed bug changes. Twisting in the speed slowly, or adding power slowly, it still reacts the same, but your manipulating it, by causing it not to have a chance to get to near level. 

Basically, when in speed mode, if the bug moves, or if airspeed changes due to power settings, the autopilot always reacts the same and wants to get to near level, just sometimes it doesn't get the chance to get there, before capturing the new bugged speed.

Just wanted to re-iterate that I can confirm this behavior in the 1.0.0.5c build and it is not very realistic. I will try to remember to make a video tomorrow during climbout for reference perhaps.

1 hour ago, Propane said:

Just wanted to re-iterate that I can confirm this behavior in the 1.0.0.5c build and it is not very realistic. I will try to remember to make a video tomorrow during climbout for reference perhaps.

what was the gw and n1 ? Also I noticed the climb rate was a little bit too enthusiastic on an ultra-light flight xD