Flight Tales I

Steve Harris

Hi I'm having trouble with Flight Tales I,first of all when ever i try the Black Forest Rally mission it loads ok but after about 10 SEC FSX stops working and close's ITS the same every time i try,1 thing iv notice is that the mission compass is bigger than normal.And also in the Monaco trophy mission none of the planes(Extra 300S)have any textures on there all wight even the one im flying :?

I'm running FSX with the SP1 update on VISTA 32BIT with Radeon X1300 with a Intel core2 duo.

Would be very great full for any tips or help to wot might be my problem

Thanks

Steve Harris

Guest Hubertus Fuest

Hello Steve,

I haven't heard about the problem with Black Forest Ralley, but the missing textures at Monaco are caused by some systems.

Please try out: enter the display settings and move the slider of the "Global texture resolution" to "very low" and confirm. Open the dispaly settings again and move that slider to "high" or higher. The textures should be visible now.

Best regards.

I have exactly the same problem as Steve.The Black Forest Rall(e)y mission starts OK, but after about 10 seconds FSX crashes.

I have tried it about 5 times with the same result.

In the Monaco mission the aircraft have no texture and the pylons are not visible, which makes the mission somewhat impossible!

I am a little bit frustrated as these are the first two missions I tried.

I am using FSX sp1 and Vista 64bit.

On another tack, before I bought the full mission pack, I had a go at the demo and no matter how softly I tried to get down,with gear up or down,I was told I had crashed and the mission had failed.Is there some way of landing with a wheel up or on the belly of the plane without triggering the "crash" scenario?

AMD FX 64 4000

GTS 8800

2Gb ram

John

Sorry folks for the late reply - I was rather busy...

I'm 99% sure the crashes have nothing to do with the mission. If a mission crashes it's at mission start (or the mission doesn't load successfully at all).

Can you please tell me exactly when the crash happens? After the first dialog or before?

Missing textures on the Extras is a known issue (see FAQ).

Missing textures of the pylons is very bad, I agree with that. In our betatesting I was the only one to have missing pylon textures. I used to use the redbull pylons, so I decided to create new ones, which showed up perfectly not only for me but also for all other testers.

If the problem won't disappear even with smaller graphic settings report it to me and I will provide a mission file with untextured pylons. :wink:

In the demo you're not supposed to land at all - but in the actual mission (French Distraction) you will of course have to land finally - and you won'T get an error message. :)

The crash happens with my system after the second piece of dialogue, when I press a key, eg shift /s, to enter the aircraft I get the "busy" cursor and then the "program has stopped working " message.

Re. the pylons .They do appear with texture but only when I am nearly at them, which is very unrealistic, and also I am not really sure what I am supposed to be doing.

At one point a timer (for qualifying I presume) started for no apparent reason, then stopped at 17.4,again for no reason ( I was nowhere near the, by then vanished, pylons.)

There are no instructions about which gate of the pylons to go through to start or finish, what altitude is required, how many laps have to be flown....etc, so really I am completely confused and much clearer instructions would be appreciated.

John

John, you really should read the briefing, for you'll find all answers to your questions in the briefing files and dialogs from your team boss. :wink:

He'll tell you which track you have to fly (red=right, blue=left).

The race track is only a straight: start-finish - that's all. :wink:

And if you wonder about the timer, well there are 6 opponents out there - don't expect them to sit around. They'll try to qualify for the race and therefor will also set times. :D

I read the briefing scipts before I tried the mission and found it of little help.Perhaps my 60 odd years of professional aero engineering are catching up with me.

I will give it a miss, life is too short!

John

There are no instructions about which gate of the pylons to go through to start or finish, what altitude is required, how many laps have to be flown....etc, so really I am completely confused and much clearer instructions would be appreciated.

John

Take a look at the notebook (kneeboard). There you will see the race track and from which side you have to fly. But of course the AI opponents will show you this anyway. Why don't you just follow them? They show perfectly how the race's done. (This is also suggested in the designer's notes)

As I said ,I have done that,and read all the notes.I am used to much more easily followed instructions.

The designer notes start with "This mission is surely the most complex and challenging airrace available for FS " and then gives very little info on what actually happens and what you are supposed to do.. and as for that map !!

OK, you can stooge around following the others, but please make it much clearer.

thanks

John

There is no "much clearer". What else can I say than fly through the start-pylons and finish-pylons as fast as you can. There's simply nothing more to do.

Eventually the qualification will begin and end some 10mins later, then your boss will tell you what race to expect.

I cannot see why this information shouldn't be sufficient.

• Administrator

Hi,

one last note to the pylon problems. Here´s what we found out:

If you have considered some tuning tipps flying around on the net you might not be able to see the pylons from a distance. If this is the case please check that the parameter SmallPartRejectRadius= in you FSX.CFG is set to the standard value of 2. If it is set higher you will have the above mentioned problem.

and for the german customers:

Bei der Monaco Trophy sind die Pylonen nicht sichtbar bzw. tauchen erst sehr spät auf. Dadurch ist der Rennkurs nicht erkennbar.

Das Problem ensteht, wenn in der FSX.CFG der Parameter SmallPartRejectRadius= entsprechend verschiedener Veröffentlichungen im Internet eingefügt wurde. Wurde hier als Pixelanzahl 4 oder 8 eingetragen, werden die Pylonen erst sehr spät eingeblendet. Der Parameter sollte auf 1(Standardwert) oder max. 2 stehen.

William, thanks for this update.

It's impossible to test software on all possible tweaks the user made to his system.

So if you should suffer more problems, always try to run the Flight Tales on your original fsx.cfg. :wink: