autopilot won't engage

It worked last night all though it was sensitive.  Not so today.  I tried from a cold and dark and assumed I was doing something wrong.  Then tried from an all engines started and still not working.  After take off I attempt to activate it at about 2000ft.   It blinks and alerts as if it is disconnecting.   Is there some little thing I am not doing that will allow it to activate?  

There are only two possible reasons for an automatic AP disconnect: Yoke input or elevator trim input. The issue you describe is most likely caused by an insuffiecently large nullzone of your joystick/yoke which causes constant inputs to the aircraft.

This happens in the real world sims as well. Trim your aircraft before engaging the autopilot. If it can stay on the flight director with little to no elevator input then it is trimmed correctly and autopilot can be engaged.

Your last one got it.  Because I was trying to start cold and dark and then ready to fly the yaw damper was sometimes engaged and sometimes not.  Thanks so much. 

I have been using Dave to set up the plane but it does not give me the trim so I have been guessing at it.  Is there a better way to do that than guess? 

Archived