APU is Difficult to Start

I have not seen another post about this, but if there is one and the issue has been fixed, please let me know. I do not know if this is a bug or something that's in the actual plane that I'm doing wrong, but when I attempt to turn the APU on while on ground power, I have to click the button at least 10 times before it seems the click has been registered and begins starting. I know one other person that bought this aircraft to have the same issue but nobody else, so I may be doing something wrong. 

ist not difficult, its the normal procedure. You have to press first the fuel pumps. Once they are on. You need to press the yellow button, i think is the power button (but sorry not remember the name of the button) is the left one. then you have to wait for the egt raise the necessary to begin to start the apu. then  you press the rigthside button, you will see a orange or yellow light comes on. you can monitoring all the process in the stat page.

5 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Exactly what button?

The APU Start/Stop button. 

Just now, Eduard Gasull said:

ist not difficult, its the normal procedure. You have to press first the fuel pumps. Once they are on. You need to press the yellow button, i think is the power button (but sorry not remember the name of the button) is the left one. then you have to wait for the egt raise the necessary to begin to start the apu. then  you press the rigthside button, you will see a orange or yellow light comes on. you can monitoring all the process in the stat page.

So do the fuel pumps have to be on in order to start the APU?

@iccowan, are you sure that you mean the "Start/Stop" button? Because I have the same problem, but with the APU "PWR/Fuel" button. I have to click repeatedly until the button snaps into position and the APU start-up sequence starts properly.

And while we are at it (I don't know whether there is a connection to the "PRW/Fuel" button problem): I can't push the "ICE DET TEST" button at all. My cursor changes to a hand when I mouse over that button, but when I click (even for five seconds), absolutely nothing happens: The button doesn't move, the test sequence doesn't start and the "ICE" warning light remains illuminated. This is in the tutorial flight from LAX to Monterey in FSX. I followed all procedures exactly like in the manual, including setting up the cockpit from "Cold & Dark".

vor 4 Minuten, Eduard Gasull sagte:

again you need to wait. press the pwr/fuel button and  monitoring the egt on the stat page. wait for 10-15 seconds. the press start apu. for the ICE DET TEST button there is bug that im sure it will be corrected that keeps on any time when  the apu is running (but not for example with GPU) i recommend you to do ice det test with gpu. 

Thank you for the hint with the ICE DET TEST button.

Regarding the APU problem: Again, I'm talking about the "PWR/Fuel" button, not the "Start/Stop" button. I know that I have to wait until I press the "Start/Stop" button. My problem is that the "PWR/Fuel" button does not snap into place at first try and thus the APU start sequence doesn't start properly.

EDIT: I just switched the APU off and the ground power unit on - and still, I can't push the ICE DET TEST button.

On the ground, you will have to press the APU PWR and FUEL button first, and wait for the APU door to be open (in the right EICAS page), then press Start. You no longer will have to press 20 times for the APU to start.

I'd like to ask Han a question. When I did a CRJ200 training (got some time in the Frasca and Level D sim time as well), the IP told me to press the PWR and Start button simultaneously when trying to start the APU in flight, otherwise the APU won't able to start when to use same procedure as the APU start procedure on the ground, because once the door opens, the APU will start the free spin, and the start won't engage when that exceeds either 3 or 6%. 

I have yet to able to start the APU in flight, even when it's in the altitude envelope per aircraft manual. Is this the bug? or is this known issue with it?

Also... when you secure the APU, remember to press the APU Power button so that the APU Inlet Door will close.  You'll know if you forgot as the White "Door Open" will show on the bottom of the PRI display.

Happy flights you guys!

vor 2 Stunden , Propane sagte:

To clear up confusion, the normal APU start procedure in the real plane is simple and as follows;

- Press PWR/FUEL button

- Press Start/Stop button

In practice you can press both immediately after each other. The plane will take the required steps needed before starting, and only then start. Though it is sensible to monitor the process and only press the start button once you see all other steps completed. There is no need for fuel pumps, or to wait for any EGT rise or have the packs off or anything. You could pretty much walk into a cold and dark plane, flip the battery switch, wait a moment for the displays to show and warnings to shut up and then immediately start the APU.

Now, why it doesn't work for you I don't know, I'll leave that for Hans and others.

Thanks. I just finished the tutorial flight to Monterey and luckily, the APU start after landing went without problems. I pressed PWR/FUEL only once and then, afer making sure on the display that the APU door is open, I pressed "Start/Stop" once. I mistakenly thought that the PWR/FUEL button has to stay pressed (=pushed into the overhead panel) permanently by itself, which it did occasionally (I guess that this is a slight bug).

Alright thanks for the help. The thing is that I didn't have any issues when starting it off the battery, but when starting it from an external power source is when I encountered my problems. I will try it again now being sure I am following the correct steps and report back. 

Alright my problem was that I was not pressing the PWR/FUEL button and then waiting for the APU door to open. My problems have been fixed and I tested it when starting on ground power and while on the battery power and it worked both times in both aircraft. Thank you again for your help.

Archived