P3Dv4?

keithb77

Has anyone got CuX working in P3Dv4? (I know P3D isn't officially supported but worth the ask..)

There is a report on UK-VGA of it working, but the DLL CuX installs is a 32-bit one, so any code in it cannot work (resources like strings will be loaded though) - to confirm in the Contenterrors.txt file I get
"Error loading ".\Modules\CumulusX!\CumulusXDLL.dll." in "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\DLL.xml.".  DLL is 32 bit.  A 64 bit version is required."
The EXE loads and runs OK though.
I didn't get this far till late last night so only did one test flight, using one of Wolfgang's gliders, and I didn't see any cloud shadows so I suspect CuX isn't active for me yet. Got thermals but probably P3D ones.
I've used CuX in FSX and P3Dv2 so have an idea what to expect but far from expert...

Do we know what functions are implemented in the DLL rather than in the EXE?
Reading the help file I've got quite a few things to check...just wondering if anyone has been there already.

Thanks

Keith

In fact everything except cloud shadows seems to be working...there must be other things that aren't ... but at least I'm definitely getting CuX clouds and thermals :)
CHeers

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have CumulusX! working with Prepar3D v4, including options such as cloud shadows and birds.

The only minor problem I have is that I cannot reconfigure the smart tow plane from within P3D.  I have to use an identical tow plane configuration with the one that I have setup in FSX-SE.

So, like Keith, I am very curious to know what we might be missing without a 64bit version of the CuX dll file available for Prepar3D v4.

Is it possible that the 32bit CuX exe is still able to access library functions in the 32bit dll regardless of the fact that Prepar3D v4 does not accept the 32bit dll file?

-James

Hi,

indeed, the DLL is not absolutely mandatory for CumulusX! operation. It's main purpose is to improve the accurary of the glider movement. It goes back to problem with Windows task scheduler appearing with Windows 7, when original CumulusX! operation became very glitchy. A second function is a smoother compensated vario sound of stock aircraft. However, both ASK21 and DiscusX have their own vario implementation, wich do not relate to CumulusX!. Alas I think they are relying to own 32bit-DLLs and as may are not work in 64bit-software, unless updated.

If you don't observe jerky movement (best visible in ground proximity or from pursuer perspective) than there is not much that you loose.

bests,

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

I have not noticed any jerky movements in P3DV4 so far and also I have flown in three multiplayer cross-country gliding events with the UKVGA without any obvious issues.  The smart tow plane jitters a bit itself sometimes, but I think it was always like that in FSX.

As you mentioned the ASK21 and the Discus X use incompatible 32 bit sound dlls, but we have managed to get them working in Prepar3D v4 by substituting in the 64 bit ASC.DLL for the Discus K.  The sounds are not quite the same, the vario audio feedback cannot be turned off, so there is no specific audio for the speed-to-fly function, which I prefer anyway, but these glider models are now useable in P3DV4.

Cheers,

-James

Hi James,

indeed, there is a special DLL coming along with the ASK21 and Discus Glider which is related to the sound of the C4-varios coming with these types. Naturally the DLL is 32bit-code. The good news is, that CumulusX! detects it being active, and, if not, controls itself the vario sound. However, in CumulusX! there is no volume control, nor evaluation of panel bus power states and the like.

The C4-vario operation itself should not be affected, as it is entirely coded in XML, and thus platform independent.

bests,

Peter

Archived