Twin Otter Extended Extended?

Pilot uniform, seriously?!  😲 For my money, worthy improvements will be to the flight characteristics, engine modelling and systems modelling. Modelling failures would be a huge step forward as it would make many of the currently pointless systems useful. For example, none of the checklist tests have any meaning because nothing will ever not work. Likewise the need for a standby A/H, unless you want to practice using a limited panel, I suppose. Icing and running out of fuel are pretty much the only failures that can happen, which renders the (well-modelled) electrical system also pointless . More realistic startup would be on the list but lower down than how the engines handle in flight. And obviously fixing current problems like the ground friction in P3Dv4 and the buggy ADF radio logic. There is an alternative sound set from Sonic Solutions, BTW. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MarkHurst said:

Pilot uniform, seriously?!  😲 For my money, worthy improvements will be to the flight characteristics, engine modelling and systems modelling. Modelling failures would be a huge step forward as it would make many of the currently pointless systems useful. For example, none of the checklist tests have any meaning because nothing will ever not work. Likewise the need for a standby A/H, unless you want to practice using a limited panel, I suppose. Icing and running out of fuel are pretty much the only failures that can happen, which renders the (well-modelled) electrical system also pointless . More realistic startup would be on the list but lower down than how the engines handle in flight. And obviously fixing current problems like the ground friction in P3Dv4 and the buggy ADF radio logic. There is an alternative sound set from Sonic Solutions, BTW. 

Agreed, I only mentioned the uniforms as one of the subtle things that can be updated next time around. There are much more important things to be address, but it's also a good opportunity to address small items as well. After reviewing products for many years, small details matter quite a bit after the initial "wow" factor of the high tech features.

Just to confirm.

Twin Otters that do not have a standby Attitude Indicator tend to be VFR only operations since it is required for IFR flight. So far, D-IVER is the only Twin Otter I can find that has this type of autopilot installed. All images below are from different operators showing the typical Twin Otter autopilot installation on the yoke column. 

If the current autopilot unit were replaced by the standby AI and a new optional autopilot unit was posted on the yoke column, this might be a much more typical cockpit layout. The last 4 images were the most common.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Caribpilot, thanks so much for the quick response.

All, to avoid copyright issues, Caribpilot provided links to the pictures that support his post just above the links.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some friends over at Calgary, if you need any info on the Twin Otter.

They are working for Kenn Borek Air and now Viking Air, too.

I've wrote an article about my visit to Calgary and the US Westcoast back in 2015 (German) for flusinews.de:
https://www.flusinews.de/2015/09/on-tour-14-das-ewige-eis-und-geschichte-in-calgary/

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2017 at 1:18 PM, Caribpilot said:

Here's are just a few suggestions I have for the Twin Otter that may hopefully be brought to the FSX version also...hopefully.....

1. Improved engine simulation with proper beta range that allows you to taxi without constantly applying power and improved engine startup and shutdown. In other words, getting rid of the FSX/P3D limitations on turbo props as other developers have done.

2. Cockpit options that allow you to select whether you would like to have an AP unit and an array of GPS units (basically a cockpit configurator). The reason for this is that if a product only offer you one experience, it quickly looses its appeal after sometime. I know the that the aircraft used for this model has an AP, but it's safe to say that nearly the vast majority of Twin Otters do not.
3. Improved sound perhaps from TSS which is pretty good and it would also work well with an enhanced engine simulation. On another note, having enhanced cockpit sounds would really add to the immersion such as the sound of avionics, wind etc....The sound environment at the moment is a little too bland.

4. Cockpit effects such as shaking or vibration for takeoff and landing.

5. A proper fix to the ground friction issue.

SHould these updates come at a cost, I think it might be worth it to breathe some new life into an otherwise fantastic product that has to the potential to be on the same level as the Majestic Q400 as far as the flight model and engine simulation is concerned.

I fully agree with you on everything especially with the beta range... I've flown in twin otter's almost my entire life and that is the aspect of the i miss from the sim so if the aircraft is made i would buy p3d v4 and pay full price for the twin otter

• 1 month later...

Where is our Twotter ?

Still waiting.

Not going anywhere.

😁😁🤔

On 11/29/2018 at 8:48 AM, expire said:

That's a pity - with all my investment in FSX scenery add-ons and such, I can't see me converting to P3D.

Do it.

I too was reticent for a long time.... but once you try it...... trust me, you will be glad you did. Shadows on the ground, PBR, reflections in the water..... and cockpit shadows are worth the price of admission.

Sometimes you have to let go. Kids fly the coup..... life must go on. 

I would prefer 1 good aircraft and 1 OrbX region in P3D, than a million addons in FSX.

And it runs better, and looks better than FSX, on the SAME hardware.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 12:07 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

By coincidence, it is being discussed this week again. 

If I'd won the Lotto last night, I'd bung you half a million to make it !

.... but I didn't  .... but I can assure you, many of us would be happy to support an 'early access' project.

I know you don't like that financial model, but maybe (and with great respect), could I suggest a rethink, and Aerosoft could move with the times ? It is becomming very popular, and often, very successful.

Regards.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:13 PM, Caribpilot said:

Any news on whether this new project will get the green light?

Good question, but please guys - a little Psychology 101 - don't start posting huge lists of all this stuff you want to see..... it puts undue pressure on the potential devs.

Wait until it is green lit....... for cripes sake.

..... then, once its underway, fill yer boots !

Come on, any10 year old kid knows this: You don't ask Daddy for a 15 foot python straight off the bat. No, you get a tortoise, then a rabbit, then a lizard....... and so on.

....... 'Slowly, slowly catchey monkey'

The more 25-point lists of "I want..... x, y, z" I see on these Twotter posts, the more it dismays me, and the less likely it will happen.

..... You don't poke the bear, until the bear shows up.

I hope my copious use of metaphor and analogy is not wasted. And, for those of you who already know this, and feel patronised by what I have just written, I wholeheartedly apologise.

...... it is merely for those who just don't 'get it'.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:07 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

By coincidence, it is being discussed this week again. 

Sounds good. Hopefully the discussion may result in something exciting in the future for the Twin Otter.

• Aerosoft

Me too. Of all the projects I have done it is with the Catalina, my favorite. Having the systems updated a bit, allow for Flight1 instruments and adding Connected Flight Deck, TrueGlass and RealLights will really bring it up to date.

Working on it...

This is what I am hoping for too. The Twin Otter has been my first addon-airplane and today it is still the one that I enjoy the most.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:59 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

Me too. Of all the projects I have done it is with the Catalina, my favorite. Having the systems updated a bit, allow for Flight1 instruments and adding Connected Flight Deck, TrueGlass and RealLights will really bring it up to date.

Working on it...

Very true Mathijs, with updated systems (hopefully including some of the suggestions made here), this product will surely see new life. I will still advocate for the original yoke column mounted factory autopilot (optional for the user) over the one that is presently on the twin otter to keep with a more factory standard look. 

• 1 month later...

Archived