Twin Otter Extended Extended?

The amazing thing for me with this aircraft is that there's so many systems modeled into the aircraft, yet there's virtually *ZERO* performance impact... Hat tip to the developers for this, they know what they are doing and other developers should take a few notes from these guys. It's one of the most fun airplanes to fly in FSX and P3D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I can understand that as a business decision messing with the Twotter is a difficult choice but ... "go big or go home" would be my inclination.  The present model seems to stand on it's own feet very well but for those that are worried about "fps" and "costs"  or are just plain happy with the plane "as is", they're not likely going to be in the market for much extra expense ... which leaves not much money to invest on up-grades.  At the other end of that reality, those that are riding the future with the 64 bit and big machines will be looking for the next generation and are more likely prepared to pay for the fun. But what's clear is this plane is without competition as far as I know and if "essentially preserved" in any updating it would likely be a good investment into the future.  Her future status might be easier to divine from the feedback of the pilots tuned in here ... although not a large body of the market we might be vaguely representative of the potential mood of future buyers for this great plane.

I'd be happy with the status quo but I'd sure be excited to see some of the following  ... and in no particular order of importance:-

1) a volume control on the altitude alarm :rolleyes: ... or ear protectors!

2) executive cabin option ... flying 19 empty seats around ain't cool.

3) better control on while on the floats in the water docking etc .

4) disappearing yoke for dash visibility

5) radar altimeter - I do a lot of mountain flying

6) verbal checklist ... kinda like that idea

7) "Shiny new" versus worn & grungy, soiled dash &  etc ... looks like you just bought a used car! 

8) newer avionics with better layout but retain analogue ... don't want fly-by-wire and glass cockpits ... she was meant to be hand flown :clapping_s:

9) reverse thrust is really valuable but hard to manage smoothly with buttons ... I use Warthog "axis"  but a good system needed!  

10) real good engine and other regular aircraft flying sounds ...  

11) engine startup smoke belches

12) compartment doors assignments ..with control panel operation

13) proper icing system and visible effects

14) Starts only... a) cold and dark ...b) ready for start ... no pilot gets into his plane already started ... you have to be able to start your own!

15) any way to make slow taxiing smoother

16) I guess weather instruments ... but not a big item in my mind

17) make panel instruments identifying text bold and clear for easier reading and maybe a larger Attitude Indicator.

18) and keep all the good things you've already got in her ...:hi_s:

and many thanks Mathijs for the invitation and opportunity to "shoot our faces off" ...  

https://www.vikingair.com/twin-otter-versatility/photo-video-gallery                                    The new 400  ... 68 on order for Viking.

Best to all pilots,

Ken

On 24/2/2018 at 11:11 PM, SubLogical said:

I can understand that as a business decision messing with the Twotter is a difficult choice but ... "go big or go home" would be my inclination.  The present model seems to stand on it's own feet very well but for those that are worried about "fps" and "costs"  or are just plain happy with the plane "as is", they're not likely going to be in the market for much extra expense ... which leaves not much money to invest on up-grades.  At the other end of that reality, those that are riding the future with the 64 bit and big machines will be looking for the next generation and are more likely prepared to pay for the fun. But what's clear is this plane is without competition as far as I know and if "essentially preserved" in any updating it would likely be a good investment into the future.  Her future status might be easier to divine from the feedback of the pilots tuned in here ... although not a large body of the market we might be vaguely representative of the potential mood of future buyers for this great plane.

I'd be happy with the status quo but I'd sure be excited to see some of the following  ... and in no particular order of importance:-

1) a volume control on the altitude alarm :rolleyes: ... or ear protectors!............Would be possible to do

2) executive cabin option ... flying 19 empty seats around ain't cool. .......No comment

3) better control on while on the floats in the water docking etc . ........ FSX / P3D limitation

4) disappearing yoke for dash visibility ............Would be possible to do

5) radar altimeter - I do a lot of mountain flying....... Whats wrong with the one allready fitted !!

6) verbal checklist ... kinda like that idea............Would be possible to do, but with a massive amount of Wav files eating up disk space

7) "Shiny new" versus worn & grungy, soiled dash &  etc ... looks like you just bought a used car! .......No comment

8) newer avionics with better layout but retain analogue ... don't want fly-by-wire and glass cockpits ... she was meant to be hand flown :clapping_s:.......Only item I can see is missing is the F1 GTN 650/750 or GNS 430/530 integration

9) reverse thrust is really valuable but hard to manage smoothly with buttons ... I use Warthog "axis"  but a good system needed!  ....... Using FSUIPC will give You reverse thrust range for the power levers

10) real good engine and other regular aircraft flying sounds ...  .......No comment

11) engine startup smoke belches.......No comment (Does it belch smoke on startup in real life?)

12) compartment doors assignments ..with control panel operation.......All exits can be opened using the right key presses - no control panel though - could be done

13) proper icing system and visible effects....... Whats wrong with the current icing simulation (Airframe icing leading to degraded performance, engine failure due to ice ingestion and windscreen icing), and de-icing systems to prevent those ?

14) Starts only... a) cold and dark ...b) ready for start ... no pilot gets into his plane already started ... you have to be able to start your own!....... Whats wrong with the current option via the config page on the checklist gauge ?

15) any way to make slow taxiing smoother..... Like water operations - we here are kicked by FSX / P3D limitations and core FSX / P3D Turboprop issues not really fixable without wrecking in-flight behaviour

16) I guess weather instruments ... but not a big item in my mind......... What kind of weather instruments (Wx-radar) ? - not really realstic on the Twin Otter

17) make panel instruments identifying text bold and clear for easier reading and maybe a larger Attitude Indicator.....No comments other than that the whole virtual cockpit, it´s instruments and controls are modelled very excatly after a real exisiting Twin Otter

18) and keep all the good things you've already got in her ...:hi_s:

and many thanks Mathijs for the invitation and opportunity to "shoot our faces off" ...  

https://www.vikingair.com/twin-otter-versatility/photo-video-gallery                                    The new 400  ... 68 on order for Viking.

Best to all pilots,

Ken

See comments in the Quote box !

FinnJ

Hello FinnJ,

Your reply was very interesting and enjoyably humbling in too many places ... but then, most of what I wish for in a wish list is with tongue in cheek!

My thoughts fwtRw,

5) the Radar Altimeter ... that was worth getting bawled out for!  I feel like I'll always be learning more about this plane ... and for starters I like even more already:banghead1_s:

8) newer avionics ... well I can't be of much help there except there's just something not too current about trying to accomplish a "Direct to" in flight with that GPS ... wasn't I fighting with that same piece of equipment before Sub Logic sold to Microsoft?

9) FSUIPC ... I've owned all of Peter's stuff since he started and could never get comfortable with using it ... As for the Thrustmasters I can put both engines on one of the small "Axis" but there doesn't seem to be much "reverse thrust" ... is that a variable or does it WAD?

12) Compartment doors would probably be better "all open/all closed" on 1 Btn instead of the 4 buttons ... as a thought.

13) I'd like to see the ice forming ... am I dreaming?

14) Nothing wrong with it ...but I find the multiple checking "mind numbing" (except for flight checks) but I love starting the engines.  So I'd dispense with the "Started" option and have her (1) "ready to be started" (pilot handles all from that point) or ... (2) the full meal deal of C & D.   If that doesn't please everyone there's always Ctrl E.

15) That's a shame but no deal breaker.  Maybe we should harass P3d ...!  Or would the residual FSX people still be the dominant concern...

16) I could have left that one out ... you can always look out the window and see if it's raining :o

17) Copy that ... maybe it's my old age or need new specs but those gauges (Text) seem hard to see at times ... maybe that could be my excuse for not finding the Radar Alt .... yeah I like it!                 But .....

I wonder if sim airplane makers shouldn't give themselves some leeway to make better some of the obvious minor faults of the de Havillands et al ... none of us would ever know.  

Well it was great to have this time with you Finn and I really appreciate your educated responses ... as I said when I started my wish list "I love her almost as much as my dogs" :wub:

Your time and response is very much appreciated.  

Best,

Ken

PS Doesn't every Turbine belch smoke from the excess unburned fuel on startup?    And not previously mentioned but why do the cabin lights alight when you click the Panel lights? 

• 1 month later...

The option to have fresh cleaned cockpit windows. It is immersive with the dirty windows but it gets tiresome after a few hours and when on ground im thinking i want to clean the cockpit windows. There should be automatic several layers of dirt on the windows after certain time spent flying and to clean them you have to do something about it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2018 at 11:21 AM, Uncle Bob said:

The option to have fresh cleaned cockpit windows. It is immersive with the dirty windows but it gets tiresome after a few hours and when on ground im thinking i want to clean the cockpit windows. There should be automatic several layers of dirt on the windows after certain time spent flying and to clean them you have to do something about it. Thanks.

Apparently, the windows were done deliberately, as the aircraft used as their reference, actually had grotty perspex windows !

But, developers need to appreciate the concept of artistic license... on a  relatively tiny screen, it is much more difficult to see outside, than in a real aircraft.

We should at least get the choice. Why not have full, low and zero reflections as options ? Not difficult.

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2017 at 7:01 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

I am considering doing a major update of the Twin Otter aimed at P3d v4. This update would include a few minor fixes here and there but would mainly focus on adding Connected Flight Deck and dynamic light. As this is a lot of work and does not bring in a lot of additional sales it can't be done for free. Think about a 7 euro update fee or something.

How would you react to such an update and are there any specific things you would like to see included in such an update? 

yes, i would love to see that, especially for the CFD, but i would love to see the integration of the GTN or a better GPS. 

but the updates you are considering sound wonderful to me.  And the price is more than reasonable!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At what stage are you now with this idea? Still just an idea or is somebody actually working on this?

Would be great if this plane gets another update, since it's a really great plane.

Thanks

Here is my wishlist...

Independent and dimmable   lights for cockpit.

GTN 750 capable

Rain on glass

maintain capability to add capn crash  FDE  if desired..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't use Milviz.

Just using their Turbo Otter, and even without Truelight and Trueglass, it's a stuttering mess.

My A2A planes run at 60 fps minimum, even my PMDGs run smoother.

I'd rather fly my old Twotter with a GTN mod.... yes, it is showing its age, but crikey it runs smooth at over 200 fps.

BTW, A2A are giving away their version of True Glass, so no excuse for devs not to use it !

Archived