Twin Otter Extended Extended?

On 16/10/2017 at 2:19 AM, Jocko Flocko said:

I would pay *FULL* price again for the ability to have a GTN and/or GNS unit in the virtual cockpit. Heck, I'd be happy with a simple VC model that removes the default GPS 3D polygons and leaves a properly light mapped empty panel area for customizations of any type.

The concern about those third-party GPS is that you CAN'T update the airac navdatas... Not only they're a bit overpriced, they won't give you the opportunity to use a Navigraph subscription to update the navdata.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id be happy for an upgrade (if) the broken ground friction is fixed.

Its such a great aeroplane and a complete waste.

Love to see it looked at and upgraded but if ground friction and thechugecpower needed to start moving followed by a rapid stop with only a slight power reduction occuring it must be fixed.

Even more extended Twin Otter Extended?!
I'll buy it for sure!!! :boingy_s:
I just never get bored of this plane :rolleyes:

Here's my wishlist:

1. A combi version of the DHC6 (passengers/freight), similar to that in the "Twin Otter X", with animated retractable skis (already available in the Antarctica X version of Twin Otter Extended).

Very suitable for antarctic and tundra operations (Kenn Borek, Norlandair, etc.) and extremely needed.

2. DHC6 on skis (without wheels), also would be welcome!

3 I'd pay even a full price for a DHC6-400! More and more Twin Otter operators, including Air Seychelles and Tara Air, replaced their DHC6-300's with 400's.

Also, perhaps some minor issues would be checked once again?
In example: when returning from reverse power to flight idle, the airplane tends to jump ahead and speed up rapidly, which makes using reverse power very risky, especialy on skis because you cannot hit the brakes.

Ahm, and a stupid qestion: the update is aimed at P3d v4  but I hope it will still work on FSX?

1 hour ago, Izomag said:

In example: when returning from reverse power to flight idle, the airplane tends to jump ahead and speed up rapidly, which makes using reverse power very risky, especialy on skis because you cannot hit the brakes.

You can fix this by programming your switches correctly for reverse if you have FSUIPC. Check out my Turbine Toucan video for how to do it.

2 hours ago, MarkHurst said:

You can fix this by programming your switches correctly for reverse if you have FSUIPC. Check out my Turbine Toucan video for how to do it.

Thanks Mark!

You've helped me a lot!

I don't have a full version of FSUIPC, but I got pretty good result just with assigning a button to the "Throttle Cut" function in FSX.

I'm still testing, but it seems now I can smoothly stop the plane in a short distance without using brakes! :D

The Twin Otter is my favourite low altitude aircraft when I want to enjoy the scenery on short hops. This forum's post stats indicate the Twin Otter is second only the the Airbus variations in the Aerosoft stable so that should say something. It seems the 400 glass cockpit is unlikely so something that would work with Navigraph in the 300 would undoubtedly be well received. There is a wealth of wish list items here and elsewhere for the Twin O.

I would part with around 15 Euros for an upgrade that gives me flight plan capability and addresses the tweaks/issues that have been mentioned along with DL- it would make a great aircraft even better. Largely I believe because a simmer can put it down at any alternate and its fun to fly, and that allows most simmers not only to enjoy a great aircraft but also to hop around all the great airports that we have in our simms especially v4

Good luck with the redevelopment of Extended Mk2 we will wait patiently.

On 17.10.2017 at 16:34, Carlos172 sagte:

The concern about those third-party GPS is that you CAN'T update the airac navdatas... Not only they're a bit overpriced, they won't give you the opportunity to use a Navigraph subscription to update the navdata.

While that is true it should not hinder an optional integration - others have shown how this can work: in a setup program one selects flight1 gtn/gns or realityxp or detault - everybody can then decide wether actual airac data or realistic garmin is more important (to me that decision is clearly a garmin that works like a garmin should; if i can't find a waypoint or procedure i can help myself in dozens of ways). Instead of a setup one can even provide the alternative model and panel files and let the customer copy them (the old milviz way from the beechcraft - worked perfectly as well).

p.s.: i don't find 60€ for a gtn650 and 750 for fsx and p3d overprized at all; same for gns530/430. given the fast amount of functionality you get with one if those, i consider that cheap.

34 minutes ago, Harry46 said:

While that is true it should not hinder an optional integration - others have shown how this can work: in a setup program one selects flight1 gtn/gns or realityxp or detault - everybody can then decide wether actual airac data or realistic garmin is more important (to me that decision is clearly a garmin that works like a garmin should; if i can't find a waypoint or procedure i can help myself in dozens of ways). Instead of a setup one can even provide the alternative model and panel files and let the customer copy them (the old milviz way from the beechcraft - worked perfectly as well).

p.s.: i don't find 60€ for a gtn650 and 750 for fsx and p3d overprized at all; same for gns530/430. given the fast amount of functionality you get with one if those, i consider that cheap.

I understand your point of view and agree with your first paragraph, but I have to disagree with the second. With 60€(more or less) you can buy a lot of high quality aircraft add-ons just like the aerosoft CRJ, the A32F Aerosoft bundle, PMDG 737 NGX for FSX, Majestic Dahs Q400, Milviz 737-200, A2A C172 and many others.
I know those GPS devices are able to replicate every single function of the real life unit, but we must remind that they're attached to the Garmin Trainer that is available for everyone for free...
The amount of work to develop one of the mentioned aircraft add-ons is much bigger, so by that logic they should cost at least 200-300€ per unit...

vor 1 hour , Carlos172 sagte:

I understand your point of view and agree with your first paragraph, but I have to disagree with the second. With 60€(more or less) you can buy a lot of high quality aircraft add-ons just like the aerosoft CRJ, the A32F Aerosoft bundle, PMDG 737 NGX for FSX, Majestic Dahs Q400, Milviz 737-200, A2A C172 and many others.
I know those GPS devices are able to replicate every single function of the real life unit, but we must remind that they're attached to the Garmin Trainer that is available for everyone for free...
The amount of work to develop one of the mentioned aircraft add-ons is much bigger, so by that logic they should cost at least 200-300€ per unit...

Yeah, i get that point and have heard it before, but i don't subscribe to the idea that prices are determined by effort. They are in a free market determined by what things are worth to customers, and a fully functioning gns530/430 is easily worth 60€ to me. I also bought the gtn750/650, which i also value at least 60€ and the same from realityxp for xplane (there its a gns430 only for roughly that price). All 3 have upped my simming experience and the perceived system complexity and reality by a big amount and are still bringing endless joy, so to me there have been far worse ways to spend money. Anyways, be it as it may, the twin otter would heavily gain from the option to integrate them also in the vc panel, i think that much is sure.

Seems reasonable although it does not concern me because I am still an FSX user -probably considering X-Plane if I can use my current custom scenery-. I actually have the original Aerosoft Twin Otter X which gave me great joy; I did not buy the Twi Otter Extended because the lack of the -400 model made the other improvements somewhat irrelevant.

What  I would really be interested in as well is ways to integrate custom devices (switches, etc) that can be used to  build a Twin Otter cockpit for personal use.

• 2 weeks later...

Am coming late to this thread, and I'm also just getting back to the Twin Otter the way I usually do after a bout of too much complexity.  

I'd love to see an update and I'd be glad to pay for it.  Third-party GPS integration (Flight1 GTN series in particular) is my number-one request.  Anything else would be gravy.

Looking forward to hearing where Aerosoft comes out on this project.

• 3 weeks later...

The Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended wascertainly a well made plane. Thinking of all that it gives from Cold Weather modeling/failures/features to Hot weather modeling of being able to get engine fires...theres is a margin of keeping the pilot honest. The flight data recorder and load manager are also great features of this plane. The fact that it is light on CPU/GPU demand and lastly the bush feel beauty of the V/C.

This is one of my favorite planes and I have been trying to think of anything that I would really like to see new or different if given the chance. Its not a long list for sure. The top of my list would be to allow other GPSes into the vc. Even an option for KLN 90B GPS like in the Catalina. To have the small movable lamps behind the Pilot and Co-Pilot heads to work like how those same map lights work in the A2A Texan in P3Dv4 would be great. Better taxi light effects and thats about it for myself. Any more system rich features for failures or wearing would be great but honestly for me not needed. 

Don't know if any thing else is gonna be done to this bird Nathan .About a year ago i read that" the developers have families to feed" and they were not gonna spend any more time on this one like putting the GTN 750 but i do agree with you that this is a real good model they did on this one,but we are lucky to have this guy named Mark who pokes his head in here a lot to tell us and help us fl;y this bird

• 2 weeks later...

Such a great plane to fly I'd happily pay for any improvements ... in advance if that would help! 

I particularly like the analogue instrumentation (and I see that we're going back to it with the resurrection of the Connie and the DC6) but please, no more "glass cockpit" ... but maybe some updating of the autopilot and by all means make the stick "removable" for better vision ... what about a "flip over" to the co pilot ...

I've probably been at this too long (started with SubLogic out of Meigs) but I like the fact that you have to fly this plane and she responds gracefully when you get it right ... that's the enjoyment.  Getting into a plane and putting everything on auto and then staring out the window ain't rewarding to me.

Anyway, you've got a winner on your hands and I haven't seen any competition for her so just seems like good business to keep her ahead of the competition.

Best to all,

Ken

Cheers Mithijs

Coincidently today I installed v1.21, having been an original X and extended v1.01 purchaser

Wow

What a terrific piece of work with no framerate hit, I flew a route flown by Aeropelican, Sydney to Newcastle (Australia, my home)

at low altitude and saw all of the after market scenery with no stutters.

What a great VC, what a great product, what great continuing support

Thanks   Lew

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna go ahead and echo the previous sentiments about third-party GPS integration. That's the one thing that keeps me from buying the Twin Otter, which sucks because my VA uses it for some really cool routes. 

9 hours ago, richcam427 said:

I'm gonna go ahead and echo the previous sentiments about third-party GPS integration. That's the one thing that keeps me from buying the Twin Otter, which sucks because my VA uses it for some really cool routes. 

Surely there is nothing to stop you from using third-party GPS products as popups? My experience is that these products are in any case barely usable in the VC.

18 hours ago, MarkHurst said:

Surely there is nothing to stop you from using third-party GPS products as popups? My experience is that these products are in any case barely usable in the VC.

There's nothing stopping me from quadrupling the thrust and flying it up to FL60 either. :ph34r:

But really, I hate 2D popups, and I hate the default GPS even more. There's a nicely modeled 3D GPS there just asking for a decent drop-in.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree.

Kudos to Mathijs for being tenacious about the aircraft, and for me 2 things stand out as requiring an upgrade.

Choice of GPS is becoming derigeur..... so that satisfies everyone..... 90b, GTN, GNS etc.

Secondly, we need to be able to hide / lower the yoke.

Otherwise, do not make the mistake of cranking up the graphics to "16 mb" textures: no, no, no.... it needs to remain comparable to default aircraft in terms of performance. The Twotter is for low and slow.... we want to fly around FTX scenery and Tromso (and especially Narvik).... my personal fave without worrying about framerates. I regularly fly the old Realair Scout..... 60 fps anywhere !

Anyway,  just my 3 cents........

.........(oops inflation is as high as the rise in RAM prices over the last 12 months ! Excuse my self indulgence, but I have just realised that the 16Gb of 2400 Vengeance LPX RAM that cost me 100 GBP in June, is currently 175 ! ? ? ?)

Hello all,

I really like the Twin Otter. I flew it in RL.

To be frank I did not notice any annoying pitch behavior but maybe I wasn't paying attention. But the thing that keeps me off flying it all the time is the engine behavior while taxing. It's so unrealistic. As for the third party GPS integration I managed to get integrated the RXP530 in a separate window and that is good enough for me

So to get me to buy I would need to see the engine/taxi sorted out and that's it. I mean I would buy it for sure if that was fixed.

And this would be nice to have but not mandatory (most of Branech remarks):

• Instrument panel off with battery off
  • 3rd party gps integration
  • Retractible yoke

all else is OK with me

Archived