Twin Otter Extended Extended?

• Aerosoft

I am considering doing a major update of the Twin Otter aimed at P3d v4. This update would include a few minor fixes here and there but would mainly focus on adding Connected Flight Deck and dynamic light. As this is a lot of work and does not bring in a lot of additional sales it can't be done for free. Think about a 7 euro update fee or something.

How would you react to such an update and are there any specific things you would like to see included in such an update? 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Deputy Sheriffs

I think it's a great option. I think the biggest challenge will be helping customers see that the small upgrade (not update) price is simply a continuation of  Aerosoft's practice of only charging of new software bits.

For additional features that could bring in other customers besides the connected cockpit and DL fans, nothing comes quickly to mind. I'll take a look at the support topic and see if there's some consistent user request that could add value at a hopefully small price. A -400 option is sometimes requested, but I don't know enough about that series to know what it would take to upgrade the 100/300 we have now.

I would be in and would have two specific requests. The main request is to revisit the aircraft's pitching behaviour under power changes, which I have come to believe is unrealistic. The second is to model the engine-driven low-pressure fuel pumps. Currently the engines stop if the electric fuel pumps are switched off (or either the DC Master or battery switch is turned off).

Hello,

It is actually a very good idea, for a reasonable price this would allow to enjoy even more this excellent plane!

I will buy it with pleasure if ever a new version was born!

Thank you
^_^

I'll be ready to pay for additional feature (depends of course of price vs features; 7€ is reasonable but it depends of the additional features of course)

I hope that the fixes will be available for free; pay for additional feature is reasonable and understandable, pay for bug fixes is not (to my opinion as you ask it)

For the feature you mention not sure to understand what you means by "Connected Flight Deck" could you shed some light ?

• Deputy Sheriffs
34 minutes ago, Bushido said:

For the feature you mention not sure to understand what you means by "Connected Flight Deck" could you shed some light ?

Well the search function is your friend. ;)

Allows 2 players via network to fly the same aircraft like PF and PNF. Was first introduced on a experimental base in the Airbus

Would be willing to pay for an upgrade. Another feature that is often requested and I don't believe possible in the VC is embed an addon GPS such as the F1 GNS530. If not, is it possible to have the default gps allow for manual flight plan entry?

I fully agree with Tim.S, being able to integrate the Flight1 GPS'ses into the VC would be the most important feature I'd like to see in a new Twin Otter update.
That includes all 4, the GTN750, 650, GNS530 and 430, the small ones maybe even as double integration, aka 2 GTN650 or 2 GNS430, as seen on lots of real airplanes using these, like these >> Twin Otter << , >> Twin Otter <<

A more advanced Autopilot would also be a great relieve for those longer flights to remote areas.

Then maybe some maintenance stuff or real time passenger loading, etc. like A2A did in the Connie. I love that and really miss it in the DC-6 already ;)

Fully agree with Emanuel integration of the GTNs would be great and the upgrade fee no problem.

Cheers,

Ruud

1 hour ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

A more advanced Autopilot would also be a great relieve for those longer flights to remote areas.

Eek, don't change the autopilot! I'd have to build a new panel :)

I really like the automatically checklist with the copilot in the Airbus.

I know, it´s not necessary, and there is an interactively checklist in the Otter. But the Airbus-checklist is better in my opinion :D

Whatever, with or without - an update for this wonderful aircraft would be nice!

Cheers

For me integration of the GTN units would be the most important item.

Also a weather radar unit would be a great addition.

Lastly a point that always made flying the Twotter less enjoyable for me is the ground handling with the current engine simulation. You either rocket forward or you're stuck at the position. And it seems it is heavily influenced from wind speed and direction somehow. I know (I believe?) that it is based on an improved model of the standard FS turboprop model, thus these issues could only be overcome with a custom engine modeling, and I know this would mean more than just 7 euros worth, but I'd happily pay another 20-30 for a really realistic engine simulation.

Maybe you could work on this e with Marcel Felde, as he seems to have gone quite far with his PT6 simulation for the Porter, and a far as I understood from his post his PT6 model may be adapted to other aircraft.

This certainly would be a dream.

Oh, and visual icing simulation.. nah, I better don't start on this one. [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk

• Aerosoft
On 7/21/2017 at 9:19 PM, MarkHurst said:

I would be in and would have two specific requests. The main request is to revisit the aircraft's pitching behaviour under power changes, which I have come to believe is unrealistic. 

During development we spend ages and ages on this. We did at least 12 different models of this and we never found one that the 5 real Twotter pilots agreed on. What we got now is more or less an average of their opinions. I am 100% sure I am not digging that up again. Will check the pumps.

7 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

During development we spend ages and ages on this. We did at least 12 different models of this and we never found one that the 5 real Twotter pilots agreed on. What we got now is more or less an average of their opinions. I am 100% sure I am not digging that up again. Will check the pumps.

Just put down in that new version what you think is possible and what pleases most of the interested ones, right?

I'll like even so!;)

49 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We did at least 12 different models of this and we never found one that the 5 real Twotter pilots agreed on. What we got now is more or less an average of their opinions.

Hi Mathijs. I sympathise, but I can only pass on what I have learned. I did a moderately detailed 'first impressions' video of the RW Designs Twin Otter in X-Plane and commented on how the pitching behaviour differed from yours. I presumed yours was correct but I got a lot of comments from people saying that it shouldn't pitch forward with power. My main source for offline discussion is an aeronautical engineer and experienced captain with experience on the OV-10 Bronco (similar configuration to the DHC-6). He consulted directly with the pilots at Viking Air for a view and they concurred.

But that said, if you had real DHC-6 pilots on the testing I guess it's a stalemate. Maybe they just all fly different :)

In my opinion the twin otter is a very underrated aircraft and I would be interested in an updated version.

Some ideas:

* Extended documentation (e.g. an tutorial flight)

* Hideable Yoke

* Improved GPS (e.g. manually entering a flight plan)

Glad you're thinking about it.

Love this airplane.  Both the exotic capabilities, and the unique semi-automated checklist.

Agree update would be great, even if upcharge. 

Providing GTN750 compatibility similar to Bert Pieke's mod would be wonderful - only new tweak needed would be a switch to put the GTN nav output into the autopilot, rather than having it drive the HDG bug.  To me, providing more options for addon nav is more important than lighting

A small update fee would not be a single problem, specially if it adds so much more functionality. There are developers that charge an update fee for just P3D V4 compatibility and nothing more, then you still do a whole lot better.

Only thing left to discuss would be the name. A double extended doesn't sound very good, it's confusing. Good thing is that we got an example. The Airbus-series are also on the third generation already. First there was the Airbus X, then there was the Airbus X Extended and now there is the Airbus. Same can be done with the Twotter.

Connected Flight Deck and dynamic light would be nice, also the integration of the GTN units. There is a topic closed a year ago, with many people interested in the integration of the GTN units in the VC.

The fee I think is not a problem.

On 22/07/2017 at 0:08 PM, mopperle said:

Well the search function is your friend. ;)

Allows 2 players via network to fly the same aircraft like PF and PNF. Was first introduced on a experimental base in the Airbus

Thank you moperle. 

I don't fly via network so not that much interested by this functionally.

I'd be in for an upgrade at around 7 euro.  Any flight modeling and turbine engine modeling improvements would be helpful.  Maybe some of the work done on the new PC-6 engine would be helpful? 

I'd especially like to have an built-in Pilot/FO vocal checklist like the one done recently for the Manfred Jahn group Douglas_C-47_Beta_V3.14.  It is charming and realistic and adds to the immersion.  If freeware guys could do one this nice, I know it would be easy for the Aerosoft team to come up with one.

Obie

As I am still on p3d v3 and not planning on upgrading until the GTN 750 is working in v4 I'd say shut up and take my money.... This is my by far most flown plane and I would love to see it getting worked upon. The countless hours of enjoyment would make me pay even more than 7 bucks. Just put a donation button somewhere and I'll be sure to hit it if this plane would get a GTN 750 integration. Hell I'd even try to crowdfund a continued development of this plane. Put up an amount of your development fees, as nothing comes for free as a community goal. If it is reached, development can continue. Clearly stated goals like multipilot and lighting and whatnot for example. Peeps can decide if it is worth it to them. If not, well no risk for anyone, money back and you have not wasted your time on something that would not sell.

Hi Mathijs

Here is my two euros worth:

• I would willingly pay full price again for a fully upgraded model with improved engine modelling (perhaps like the Q 400 / Dash 8  - which I know is expensive to develop), 
  • I would be dispointed to see any departure from the traditional instrumentation, and navigation (which I think may have been suggested by others) or automatic prefilght checks.  Keep it authentic.
  • I would prefer not to have the manual appear on 'Shift 3' when I need to change views
  • LIke Bushio - I do not fly via Network - our internet speeds are not up to the job.

All the best

Mike

Archived