Can't get smart tow to work [P3Dv3]

HarryO

Hi there CumulusX users and developers

I'm a paid registered user of CumulusX and the help about menu says I have licence no. 64.

CumulusX works very well but not smart tow. It did work initially, but broke at some point.

****I fully understand that P3D is not supported, but thought I would ask anyway just in case.****

Here is what I did to try and repair it:

CumulusX registered and licenced
Reinstalled CumulusX from a clean registry and reapplied licence.bin and txt file to activate CumulusX features

CumulusX DLL is true.

Here is what works:
Default Tow works - Maule

Addon menu in P3D calls up the main CumulusX panel and debug.

Blue thermal option works.

Ridge and thermal lift work.

Clouds work.

Birds working (proves licence)

P3D configuration file has correct entries for towplane (manually added) to [SIM] section of Prepar3D.cfg
Have put in dummy FSX.cfg file in all relevant locations in case CumulusX is looking for an FSX configuration installation (which there isn't).

CumulusX does NOT warn that it is waiting to write towplane config to FSX.cfg.

Can select towplane and options like flap number in CumulusX when the sim is not running.

Here is the problem:

Can't select towplane pattern - the sub menu doesn't appear in P3D.

The selection I make for towplane in CumulusX does write to the registry.

CumulusX doesn't seem to know that it needs to write towplane data to the P3D version of the config file.

Conclusion:

So the tow I get is straight out and I think it is just normal P3D towplane working (Maule).

Why smart tow worked at one point even without a config file entry in [SIM] is a mystery.

Thanks if you can help. 

Cheers

Harry

PS) 

By the way, a UKVGA member is trying to get P3D 64 bit working with CumulusX and it does, but it is tricky.

As yet, without support for P3D 64 bit, the virtual glider community is slowly going backward not forward.

There is still not a single simulator other than Condor that models a thermal with an associated cloud.

Hi Harry,

as said P3D is not supported. Anyway, all the behaviors that you describe are expected, e.g. that CumulusX! does not give the warning  when changing the tow plane. This because it checks for a running FSX rather than P3D.

Which sub menu is actually missing, the entry under Addons/CumulusX!/SmartTow, or does the pattern selection not appear?

What is interesting that you report it working at some time. Has it been the same P3D version or sub version then?

Possibly there has been an update in between, maybe minor.

Another user (German) had a weird problem with P3D, too, and he found an update of the "SDK" helped. Actually I think he meant the Simconnect-library.

Currently I do not have access to the developing machine so I can't check the conditions in the code, under which conditions the menu items do possibly not show.

2 hours ago, Peter Lürkens said:

Hi Harry,

as said P3D is not supported. Anyway, all the behaviors that you describe are expected, e.g. that CumulusX! does not give the warning  when changing the tow plane. This because it checks for a running FSX rather than P3D.

Which sub menu is actually missing, the entry under Addons/CumulusX!/SmartTow, or does the pattern selection not appear?

What is interesting that you report it working at some time. Has it been the same P3D version or sub version then?

Possibly there has been an update in between, maybe minor.

Another user (German) had a weird problem with P3D, too, and he found an update of the "SDK" helped. Actually I think he meant the Simconnect-library.

Currently I do not have access to the developing machine so I can't check the conditions in the code, under which conditions the menu items do possibly not show.

Thank you Peter

The missing sub menu is the pattern selection window.

The Addons/CumulusX!/SmartTow option does show.

It did work at one point. There was no change in the update of P3D in between.

Simconnect hasn't changed either, but it worth an enquiry.

Thanks, Harry

• 1 month later...

Hi Harry,

sorry for that late answer. I looked into the code meanwhile, but the only condition that would affect the submenu is the registration state. But, even in unregistered mode, a reduced submenu should appear, with an information on the licensing condition. I would actually suggest reinstalling the legacy simconnect library of FSX ACC (pointing the "SDK"-issue above), which should be available with P3D.

bests,

Peter

Archived