• Aerosoft

is solve the problems they are faced with. So your speed was just a bit too fast to make the turn. You know your aircraft and you solve the issue without having to call for a tow truck. 

Simmers are often way too 'strict' on rules and regulations. This is what is really done by pilots. It's rare though!

That is incredible! Of course there isn't too much fuel left, but whether or not this is possible depends on weight right? I guess a full plane wouldn't be able to do this maneuver. Can anybody elaborate?

It's not so much about whether or not the plane can (is physically capable) do it, it's more about whether or not the operator allows this kind of manoeuvring.

Most companies frown upon this practice (and with very good reason, FOD ingestion is a real risk when using reverse thrust on low slung turbofans to reverse). Although, like Mathijs said, it beats calling out a tow truck, and shutting down the airport in the process because you can't vacate the runway.

• Aerosoft
12 hours ago, Illustrious said:

That is incredible! Of course there isn't too much fuel left, but whether or not this is possible depends on weight right? I guess a full plane wouldn't be able to do this maneuver. Can anybody elaborate?

I think so indeed it would need a light aircraft. And as Krivadesign wrote, it's not good practise. 

There was a time, early 70's when this was far more common, it soon might become more normal as the first aircraft with build-in electric motors will come online. Push back trucks might become a rarity.

That is a great video.  Very good image.

I have seen military aircraft use the reverser quite often at airshows, particularly the C-17 Globemaster III as part of it's display.  It uses the reverser to stop in a very short distance, then keeps it on to reverse to it's unloading/loading point and takes off again, all in a short space of time.  It's very impressive.  I guess they have accounted for that on the Globemaster III though and I'm sure it has filters etc to protect against FOD.

That would make FSX novices feel better in their first FSX flights!!  HA HA HA HA

Also, it was NOT uncommon for Northeast DC-9s to use reverse thruster to push back from gates when there were no tugs to do pushback.

Regards,

Aharon

And how about nice discount for this LGSK airport in honor of this video? :):)  hheheheheheh

Archived