P3D V4 advice?

Fabri D

Hey there, I've searched through the forum but I couldn't find anything. See, I am planning to finally move to P3D V4 from FSX:SE, because of the 64-bit architecture. Would you give me any advice about the switch? Anything important to know? Recommendations about add-ons? (I know I'll have to buy PMDG again, I love the fact that I won't have to do so with my Airbus Series from Aerosoft :lol:) Thanks!

My recommendation would be to take your time, keep your FSX install working and use it while you slowly transition to P3Dv4 as addons become available. I've had V3 installed for GA flights in ORBX sceneries and FSX for big iron (with pmdg's MD11) and many large airports, inc. many Aerosoft's. I am now installing  V4 but will keep V3 until I've been able to migrate to V4 completely (FSX will stay too). 

I'm taking a similar approach.  Holding off for a bit because I've spent enough money on FSX lately anyway, and taking a wait-and-see approach to V4.  I will be switching eventually, probably before the year is out, but it'll depend on my most "critical" add-ons being available and waiting for the inevitable bugs and teething process to settle down.  I've done enough with tuning and just want to fly, so I don't see the point in investing in the new platform now but being frustrated for not being able to dive in head-first and use it to its "full" potential.

I suspect that while I'll probably do a full Windows reinstall at the time just for the sake of starting clean, FSX will probably get reinstalled as well for limited use with some particular aircraft I currently enjoy with Virtual Airline use *cough* E-Jets *cough* but don't foresee becoming compatible with V4, at least any time soon.  I'm running a flight right now with one and I have in excess of 2 GB VAS free with a reasonable load - if it works, why throw it away?

From what I understand, among others, developers such as Aerosoft, ORBX, FSDT and Hi-Fi (Active Sky) will be free upgrades, so that's about 75% of my wish list right there.

1 hour ago, Sabretooth78 said:

From what I understand, among others, developers such as Aerosoft, ORBX, FSDT and Hi-Fi (Active Sky) will be free upgrades, so that's about 75% of my wish list right there.

That's exactly what I figured! Thanks for the advice. Cheers. 

8 hours ago, Gantalyetos said:

Recommendations about add-ons? (I know I'll have to buy PMDG again, I love the fact that I won't have to do so with my Airbus Series from Aerosoft :lol:) Thanks!

Not only do you have to buy it again, but you have to wait for it to be released again.

That goes for every add-on by the way, scenery or aircraft. Versions for FSX or older P3D are not compatible with P3D v4. At this moment there hardly are any add-ons for P3D v4, but it's expected that they'll start to appear soon. Mostly it's just a matter of recompiling the source code. Until then I'd keep the old version installed to at least have a platform with add-ons.

Archived