Have I ever advised a sim platform? Well now I am...

• Aerosoft

I (personally) have always been very cautious advising our customers about a sim platform. If you like FS2004 even if it is 14 years old, by all means use it. If you like FSX:SP2 even though FSX:STEAM was a bit better and P3d V3 really better, by all means use it. I know the availability of add-ons makes the big difference.

But there is a new big boy on the block and it is Prepar3D V4. It's fast (between 10% and 50% faster in all our tests), it is 64 bits so no more memory issues, there is very good backwards compatibility even though you need new files (but things like SODE, FSUIPC etc are all close to being done). And no, Lockheed does not mind that you as a hobbiest use P3D. In fact they love it. We pay (at least for a good deal) for the development of their rather serious simulator platform. If it was really a super professional platform it would not have aircraft like the P-38 etc and they would block you (and me) from buying it.

Most importantly, all the add-on devs seem to be on-board. And in the end that is all that counts. The sim is the Operating System. The add-ons are the applications. You do not use the OS, you use the applications. But to do so you need the OS. So get P3D V4. It's $59 and it will be the best investment you did in your hobby for a long time.

And yes, I do own some Lockheed stock, but do you REALLY think that P3D even makes a blip on the statistics?

This is what I love about Mathijs. Never hesitate to speak his heart up and express passion of simming, put it so simple that even a novice would also get 100% out of it.

Regards

Have I ever been thrilled by the release of a new Flight Sim like this? Certainly not.

This is the very first time that I eagerly awaited a new version of the sim. That I am carefully (Doing some hard efforts to let myself do it patiently) planning ahead with my transfer to the new sim, new hardware, but also new addons! And I do have to say, the enthousiasm and the outspoken minds and thoughts of the developers have the full contribution to my current state of mind. I am really thankful for Aerosoft and all their collegue developers for providing such incredible amount of information and support to this new platform in the very early stage: upon release (Although I fully understand that it is also due to LM being so open and supportive to you to be able to provide this).

Sound very exciting and I will certainly get it.... when the time is ready. That means if the add-ons are available. That's why I never buy a new platform straight after it's release. At that moment it's an empty plate that still needs to be filled. No doubt the filling will be there before you know it, so I figure it won't take that long before I can switch.

Currently I'm still using FSX SP2. Not because it's the best sim (it certainly isn't), but because it has the most add-ons available. That's what matters to me. Some of these add-ons are quite old already and most certainly won't be upgraded to P3D v4, but if for the majority of all my add-ons there are new versions or new products that's reason to switch to the new sim. And I got full trust that will be the case with P3D v4.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

it is 64 bits so no more memory issues,

I'd wait for 128bit before I staked my reputation on that.  By the way, I've got it. Thought I would be waiting until Fri, but it came down almost top speed.

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

It's $59 and it will be the best investment you did in your hobby for a long time

Mathijs,

It looks more like $199 for me and probably most simmers reading this thread.  Surely the $59 Academic license can only be used ... "(3) in connection with Academic Education, (4) by students, instructors and staff associated with Licensee's Academic Education".... (quoted from v3 EULA as I can't see the v4 version on the LM site) or have LM advised you differently?

Andy L

1 hour ago, AndyUK said:

Mathijs,

It looks more like $199 for me and probably most simmers reading this thread.  Surely the $59 Academic license can only be used ... "(3) in connection with Academic Education, (4) by students, instructors and staff associated with Licensee's Academic Education".... (quoted from v3 EULA as I can't see the v4 version on the LM site) or have LM advised you differently?

Andy L

I have read in their forums where there have said that it is intended for people who wish to learn more about aviation, that's most of us. At my age of course, I'm forgetting more than I am learning, so don't tell them. :rolleyes:  PS Mathijs is right ( again! ) it runs really smoothly, my frame rates are around  70fps, If you can run P3D V3 OK, then this shouldn't be much problem at all.  And it loads in a flash,  under 10 secs on my SSD, even quicker on an M2 I imagine.

• Aerosoft
10 hours ago, AndyUK said:

As Dudly said.... Lockheed never made any problems. 

vor 10 Stunden , Dudley sagte:

I'd wait for 128bit before I staked my reputation on that.  By the way, I've got it. Thought I would be waiting until Fri, but it came down almost top speed.

LOL. So you think any application will use a terraflop of memory in the next 20 years?

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

LOL. So you think any application will use a terraflop of memory in the next 20 years?

Usually the availability of more CPU power or more memory means that developers try to make use of that. In times of rapidly increasing download speeds, tons of cheap memory and large and fast SSDs, I predict that we will hit the next memory limit (Windows addressable space; ) within the next 5 years. In fact, when you use Windows 7 Home Basic, that limit is at 8 GB (16 GB for Home Premium) (Source Win7 / Source Win10), and you might hit it by next week ;-)

You're fine with Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi, P3Dv4 is great.  But the next step after purchasing the sim was to order a new GPU. I will replace my ATI R9 280X with a nVIDIA 1080Ti. That is the most expensive part to get ready for v4 in all it's glory.

1 minute ago, masterhawk said:

That is the most expensive part to get ready for v4 in all it's glory.

Actually, we can consider ourselves lucky. Most of the developers are working to get 64-bit versions and new installers ready and hardly anyone will ask for additional money. So, for most it's not much more cost than the sim itself and may be some more RAM. Considering that we had to buy everything from scratch for the switch from FS2004 to FSX, we get a pretty sweet deal this time.

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

I like to have a safety margin.:rolleyes:

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 2 Minuten, Hans Hartmann sagte:

Actually, we can consider ourselves lucky. Most of the developers are working to get 64-bit versions and new installers ready and hardly anyone will ask for additional money. So, for most it's not much more cost than the sim itself and may be some more RAM. Considering that we had to buy everything from scratch for the switch from FS2004 to FSX, we get a pretty sweet deal this time.

That's true.

15 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

Hi, P3Dv4 is great.  But the next step after purchasing the sim was to order a new GPU. I will replace my ATI R9 280X with a nVIDIA 1080Ti. That is the most expensive part to get ready for v4 in all it's glory.

Hi I have the Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 8GB, and the 70fps I quoted above was on a 4K monitor, so your figures shouldn't have been too bad with the R9.  The beauty of my card is that you are never cold in the winter and it sounds like a jet engine when a sim fires up.  I haven't done any extensive testing, but I get the impression that V4 likes lots of memory on the video card, so mine with 8GB instead of 4GB or 2GB, might have had an advantage.  It's just an impression though. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 53 Minuten, Dudley sagte:

Hi I have the Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 8GB, and the 70fps I quoted above was on a 4K monitor, so your figures shouldn't have been too bad with the R9.  The beauty of my card is that you are never cold in the winter and it sounds like a jet engine when a sim fires up.  I haven't done any extensive testing, but I get the impression that V4 likes lots of memory on the video card, so mine with 8GB instead of 4GB or 2GB, might have had an advantage.  It's just an impression though. 

I had 4GB on my 280. That is now not enough. If you want to play with the "TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=" feature, you need really a lot of GPU memory. 

Every developer seems to be doing everything to help porting their stuff for free to v.4. So if everyone is getting their sim filled for free what is going to sell? I dont get this. Lm the only one making good money or?

• Deputy Sheriffs

For me this is the single best iteration of FS yet. And mind you, I started with FS1 and used all versions to FSX, and then P3Dv1 trough v3.

On my machine (i7-7700k, GTX1070) it is super smooth and looks astonishing. And very important, no funny tweaks or setup is necessary, you can set everything with the sliders.

Bottomline: best FlightSim ever.

• Deputy Sheriffs
14 minutes ago, Hans Hartmann said:

I dare say that most add-ons will probably not use v4 to it's full extent from the beginning.

so before the CRJ releases we will have the OOM again, is that what you're saying?

Archived