Low visibility landings

Bill C

I have followed the tutorial video and manual, but no matter which carrier I use (Kitty Hawk, Nimitz etc.)  They are not linked to the f-14. After takeoff, the panel always shows

"voice" never "landing check" My Tacan is correct because I get the ILS bars. Can anyone explain what I'm missing?

Bill C.

Hmmm... after takeoff I.e not behind the boat?

First let me say that according to actual F-14 crews I've spoken with... and my experience working on A-6Es (another Grumman bird) the auoland/auto pilot systems weren't all that great.

Second... we've discussed at length in other posts on this forum...

with that said... don't feel bad... it's difficult to get set up correctly and even then there is no guarantee it will get you aboard...

First I  would start with making sure you are about 10nm from back if ship... use the carrier alignment GUI CTL-A to get on the proper course next make sure speed is below 220kts and gear, flaps (max), speed brakes out, hook down, and DLC engaged then get trimmed at AOA speed (learn throttle RPM %s... remember to be below max trap weight too)... (plus auto throttle has to be active... but more on that later) you might want to start out at 15 miles because 10 miles will start to not be enough when you are that busy... course line up and alt are crucial and the tolerance threshold only gets tighter and more difficult the closer you get to the ship... then you have to get the autopilot functions sequence correct at the right time... from memory ctl-a for auto land... I.e the alignment GUI... , auto throttle,then autopilot engaged, then shift-g... (I've assigned to joystick buttons.. with LUA scripts)

becareful which videos you watch because there were mistakes in some of the videos... in one I think they forget to lower the flaps...

hope this helps... OBTW I only ever got an auto landing with the Aerosoft provided carrier... none of the others... and after dozens of attempts only a handful of successful traps... most times I hand fly... if fatigued I'll use aut throttle until out of burrble and then hand fly (you can overide auto throttle with throttle movements)

bottom line is... not an easy task... don't feel bad... your not alone... good luck... try not to get to frustrated... and update when (and if) you have a breakthrough...

OBTW... sounds like you had it configured already... in right canted console make sure LDG, AWL/PA , and NAV set for HSI... I also use newer HUD regardless of model. (Even with the few successful ACLS traps I've had... I have never seen the 10sec light illuminate for ship ACLS or land based ILS)

Just to confuse you even more... the HSI doesn't pick up the ILS just VDI and HUD for shore based ILS... I mention only because I practice of coast out of KSAN... I CQ often in nasty weather at night and come back to shoot ILS after aerial refueling and intercepting a Drone, Flanker, Bear, or 737.

Speaking of complicated task... make sure weather is favorable for first practice attempts... i.e. No winds or make sure you are into the wind (actually lower ground speeds are good)... plus I give ship "forward" on shift-j menu or 30 KTS via tackpak interface

Archived