... and it's driving me nuts. The hype around P3D v4 is huge and has caught me as well, as I can't wait to finally fly without the worries of VAS. But at the same time it appears to be bittersweet news, as I can't believe my system appears to be getting grey hair already. To be fair, this was my first assembled system and I am more than pleased by the outcome. But I am saving for my next system.... this one I want to take my time and really get a good combo. Anyway my current system is an i7-4790k (4 GHz, so no OC), MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G, 16GB DDR3-RAM, ASRock Z97 Extreme4, 600W Power Unit. Alright, here is my dilemma..... I am willing to invest around €2000 - €3000, which would be around Winter 2017. Obviously I don't want to wait that long. The big question is... will my current system do fine with v4?? I don't intend to go much above v3, when it comes to settings. I plan to keep them the same as v3 and maybe add some of the new goodies like dynamic lighting. Long story short:

a ) Stick with that system and wait out the new system

b ) Get a 1080ti now and just add it to the new pc

I am afraid when I choose option b ), by the time I build up my new system there is something better for same value / that my current system won't get the most out of the 1080ti

I don't need that huge LOD Radius right away. I am quite happy flying a '"v3 without OOM", but I can't stop thinking about it, because opinions seem to be polarized around the web when it comes to v4 and performance. I am already dreading the systems specs of v4, because a lot of people are implying that 4 GB vram (in the case of the GTX 970) might not even be enough for the Minimum.

PS: I haven't spoiled myself yet with 4K. I still use 1980 x 1020, which I will happily use until the new system so don't try to talk me into 4K, because I am easily spoiled :P

That system should work fine with P3D v4, as far as I understood it's not that demanding. Any system that can run v3 can also run v4.

Only thing to keep an eye on for the future are add-ons. On 32-bit systems developers are always frugal with resources because of the limited availability. Now that this has improved some developers might not care about the quantity of resourses their add-ons consume so some add-ons might end up rather heavy. But for now you should be fine.

Before spending several thousand Euros on a new computer I would wait and see how v4 will perform on your current system.
Your present system looks pretty fine to me, outside of flight simulation (well, even inside flight simulation) many people would envy you for your system.

your computer is a very good computer, dou you have SSD ? because that make the difference.

Emi is rigth you migth wait to see how P3DV4 how performs to you, 64 bit its another story.

My computer is pretty similar to yours (a little bit better, :P) but really close , i still fly with FSX and i got normally 60 FPS on ground 30 on ground with a masive config.

My recomendation, is if you dont have an SSD buy one and upgrade to v4

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah I knew my current system was above average, even for today's standards. My main concern was the the GTX 970. But it seems it's just dependent on how heavy the 3rd party is going to be and I guess it'll take some time until it's going to eat up my resources. I was using v3 on a normal HDD, since the loading times didn't bother me that much, but I was always planning to get a 1 TB SSD just for P3D (and maybe one or the other long loading games), so I guess now is the time then?!

SSD is fine for loading times, (I have 3), but don't expect a frame rate increase.

After being used to SSD's it's impossible to move back to HDD.

A GTX1070, an SSD and your current CPU will be fine.

51 minutes ago, Jude said:

SSD is fine for loading times, (I have 3), but don't expect a frame rate increase.

After being used to SSD's it's impossible to move back to HDD.

A GTX1070, an SSD and your current CPU will be fine.

I know SSD's usually don't give you a performance boost when it comes to FPS, that is why I was able to save on it, because loading times don't bother me too much. If v4 however has a considerably higher loading time than v3 I might look into it.

And in terms of GTX 1070... I might even look into the option of getting the GTX 1070 and extend my current PC's lifetime. But the difference between 970 and 1070 should be significant (not only for P3D, but mainly P3D) for me to consider this option. Any experiences on the matter?

Sorry for double replying, but I have changed my plans somewhat and didn't want to start a new thread for this and didn't want to edit the previous post with the quote for tidiness. Ok after browsing the web more I am kind of convinced to stick with my MB, CPU and 16 GB DDR3 (even when not the fastest DDR3) as the general consensus is I won't get too much of a gain (e.g. with a Z270 + i7-7700k + DDR4) to justify to spend the money on that. So I am faced with a new decision:

a ) Get a GTX1070 + 1TB SSD*

b ) Get a GTX1080ti

Both options have more or less the same price tag and with the GTX 1080ti I will probably be covered on the GFX side when eventually upgrading MB + CPU. On the other hand me installing v4 on SSD depends on option a ).

As a reminder I am using a i7-4790k @ 4 GHz (no OC), GTX 970, 16 GB DDR3, ASRock Z97 Extreme4, 250GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 600W Power Unit and I am currently not using 4K resolutions and am not desperate for that right now.

So if you were me would it be a ) or b )??

• Aerosoft

Your system is fine. If you plan to update this winter I would not worry about it right now, things are moving pretty fast in hardware these days.

But $3000 will be total overkill. Spend half that and the rest on something else that's fun. 

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Your system is fine. If you plan to update this winter I would not worry about it right now, things are moving pretty fast in hardware these days.

But $3000 will be total overkill. Spend half that and the rest on something else that's fun. 

So 4GB vram is going to do it for now you say, because I am really looking forward for that lighting and increased LOD. Obviously I will try out P3D v4 without touching my system and see how it goes... I might get that 1 TB SSD thou.

Your present system is fine, I have a 4790k and it turns in a very creditable performance in my PC and compares well to newer processors, in fact in X-Plane it is only running at 20%-30%, about 50% or so in P3D V4.  I find the bottleneck is more in the GPU dept (hence I have got myself a 1080ti).  The biggest limitation with the 4790k is the 32GB memory limit, and if developers start getting more generous with my memory ( not Aerosoft of course ), I might have to upgrade, simply to gain more memory capacity. I think that is for the future, and I will upgrade piecemeal.

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

Your present system is fine, I have a 4790k and it turns in a very creditable performance in my PC and compares well to newer processors, in fact in X-Plane it is only running at 20%-30%, about 50% or so in P3D V4.  I find the bottleneck is more in the GPU dept (hence I have got myself a 1080ti).  The biggest limitation with the 4790k is the 32GB memory limit, and if developers start getting more generous with my memory ( not Aerosoft of course ), I might have to upgrade, simply to gain more memory capacity. I think that is for the future, and I will upgrade piecemeal.

Do you really think that 32GB will be a problem within the next 2-3 years?? I feel like even 16GB might be enough for at least another year...! I think I may be able to extend my system life-time by getting a new GPU. So rather go with the 1080ti than the 1070???

I am willing to pay that money for the 1080ti, but only if it really is that much of an improvement over the 1070. If my CPU+MB+RAM combo will prevent the 1080ti to go much higher than the 1070 I'd rather go with the 1070 (although even with the 1070 I want to see a difference over my current 970). Btw.... is the 1080ti compatible with a Midi-Tower?

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, Aviator1985 said:

Do you really think that 32GB will be a problem within the next 2-3 years?? I feel like even 16GB might be enough for at least another year...! I think I may be able to extend my system life-time by getting a new GPU. So rather go with the 1080ti than the 1070???

I am willing to pay that money for the 1080ti, but only if it really is that much of an improvement over the 1070. If my CPU+MB+RAM combo will prevent the 1080ti to go much higher than the 1070 I'd rather go with the 1070 (although even with the 1070 I want to see a difference over my current 970). Btw.... is the 1080ti compatible with a Midi-Tower?

There is no development in software going on anywhere (expect video editing) that would push 16Gb for the near to medium future. There are some small tools that will beep if you fill all your memory (not the FS related VAS memory) . I had one installed for many years, never beeped and I do some rather serious stuff with my computer. 

3 hours ago, Aviator1985 said:

Do you really think that 32GB will be a problem within the next 2-3 years??

Maybe, once developers know that they can use bigger textures, they will. Running X-Plane 11 at 4K, I see nearly 8GB being used, with add on aircraft and scenery, then  the Graphics card memory usage going up to near 6GB.   In the next few years we will see monitor resolutions increasing - and not everyone is as good at graphics optimisation as Stefan and Aerosoft. 

Please login to display this image.

This is X-Plane 11, with a Jar A330 on the runway at 4K, you can see that 9.3GB of memory is being used. I currently have 16GB in this machine.  The situation is pretty similar in P3D V4 (it's basically doing a similar job ), the limitations these days in simming are no longer processing power,  it is how quickly you can move information around your PC, and the amount of memory.  To get Resource Monitor running, type Win+R then enter 'resmon' in the dialog.   I also use GPU-Z to monitor the graphics card, get that here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/  

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

This is X-Plane 11, with a Jar A330 on the runway at 4K, you can see that 9.3GB of memory is being used. I currently have 16GB in this machine.  The situation is pretty similar in P3D V4 (It's a bit better, but I don't have any add-ons there yet, but it's basically doing a similar job ), the limitations these days in simming are no longer processing power,  it is how quickly you can move information around your PC, and the amount of memory.  To get Resource Monitor running, type Win+R then enter 'resmon' in the dialog.   I also use GPU-Z to monitor the graphics card, get that here https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/  

Here is P3d V4  at over 11GB usage.  We need some large add ons here to get up to 16 GB

Archived