Throttle issues (GF-TQ6 and Saitek Throttle Quadrant)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have a Saitek Cyborg 3D which despite trying all the methods, with and without FSUIPC, refuse to work with the CRJ.  However, ... if I start the aircraft with engines running the joystick works fine?  This is without using FSUIPC.

Any help much appreciated.

-Dean.

On 8/11/2017 at 0:28 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Nothing from Hans, but I have had 3 reports from users who got it working by simply allowing FS to use the channels without the driver or any other software.

Read my post in this thread. I fixed the TQ6 issue with the CRJ configuration manager. 

Respectfully, I have many other add-on airplanes from 4-5 other vendors and don't have this problem with any of them... they all work perfectly out of the box...... 

My sim is working fine and I don't want to start re-configuring everything just to try to make the CRJ work... I guess it will just have to sit on the ground for now...

• 2 months later...

Good Day everyone, 

I would just like to say that I am enjoying the CRJ, and fly's really well.

I would just like to mention that I had a strange thing happen to me on my last flight. Just so you have a full picture, I am using windows 10 with all the updates, and I am using P3Dv4.1 and I have the current CRJ files installed, I am using a Saitek Yoke and throttle quadrant with pedals.

What I found was after I had landed my engines would not reduce below 35%, now my landing did not require reverse thrust so I ruled that out as an issue.  I have checked and made sure my  calibration is set correctly both in windows and withing P3D and they are.

What I did was then to reload the aircraft state to before engine start and then check the engine function again, this time the engines idled at 21.1%. When I took the engines to full thrust and then back to idle they did infact return to 21.1%. So all seemed okay. But there does seem to be a little qwerk in there with the engines, for me it meant I had to ride the brakes to get the aircraft to the stand and shut down. Anyway just thought I would mention it in case others have found the same. 

Regards Rob

Hi Rob, I have the same issue with the throttle as you do.  On my system it seems to be some kind of calibration issue.  To work around it, in P3D, after I load the crj I go into the options and then calibrate the joystick including the throttle.  Or In FSX where I have the registered fsuipc if I go into fsuipc's axis calibration where it shows me the sim is not seeing the entire throttle range until I calibrate it.  Once I do either of those I do not have the problem again until I reload the sim.  But here is the kicker for me, this happens in FSX PD3v4.x and in FSW and it happens in more than just the crj.  So of course for me this seems to be some kind of system issue that looses the calibration of just the throttle.

Eric

Hi etrpilot,

I'll give that a go, I have to say I hadn't noticed it in other aircraft but I will do some further checks in them and see what that throws up.

Thanks for your help :)

Rob

On 8/21/2017 at 2:57 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

FSUIPC is not needed and in fact not advised. H

Have you tried without drivers?

I would not even fly in P3D at all, if I couldn't use FSUIPC.  Every time that I change aircraft, I would have to re-configer all of my controller axis.  That would get old very quick.

An aircraft that isn't compatible with FSUIPC is not a good feature.  If it doesn't "need" FSUIPC that's fine, but it should always be compatible with it.

At any rate, I love this CRJ.  It is a real challenge to fly after flying aircraft with auto-throttles, FADEC like the Airbus.

7 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We never said it was not compatible with FSUIPC, we just said it is not not needed and we do not advise it.

Got it Mathijs.  That was my misunderstanding.  I apologize.

• Aerosoft

Hans has just been able to make a special mode that makes the GF-TQ6 Throttle Quadrant compatible. It is a strange bit of hardware, sending out non-standard values. Also on the new model we used the signal was not very clean, lot of peaks on all channels. Not very impressive to be honest.

• Developer

Yes, I made it compatible, but at a cost. Here's what I did:

1. Calibrated the TQ6 via Windows' "Devices and Printers" control panel:

Please login to display this image.

2. I rebooted my system and started P3D v4
  3. I checked the value range of the TQ6 axes with FSUIPC 5 (registered)

As you can see, even after calibration the available range is still much smaller than the full -16384 to 16383 range (the value below the left SET button is the minimum; the value below the right SET button is the maximum). This means that you still need to calibrate the throttles with FSUIPC in the way shown above to make the GF TQ6 work properly. This is NOT a CRJ-specific problem. I tested the default (Carenado) A36 Bonanza as well as the PMDG 737/747 - all show the same behaviour: I don't get the full throttle range (system calibration has ZERO effect). All have exactly the same issue. Calibrating the throttle with FSUIPC like in my screenshot fixes the problem. So, either my TQ6 is broken or Mathijs is right and it's really not very impressive.

Anyway, throttle axes work fine for me if I select "FSUIPC without reverser range" in the CRJ Manager and calibrate them with the above FSUIPC settings. For the spoiler and flaps axes, I used the following FSUIPC settings:

If you get different results, please let me know.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

THIS POST MIGHT INTEREST THOSE WHO ARE USING TWO SAITEK THROTTLE QUADRANTS

I am here giving an outline of how I used FSUIPC4 button/axis programming + LUA scripting to obtain full-range reversers on a second Saitek Throttle Quadrant, as well as realistic mapping of throttle/fuel cutoff levers, and mapping of the throttle/fuel cutoff position(s) to the detent of the throttle lever(s).

See the photo:

(1) Left Quadrant Lever 1 is mapped to Spoiler Axis.
(2) Left Quadrant Levers 2 and 3 mapped to Throttle Levers 1 and 2.
(2) Buttons T3 and T5 on the Left Quadrant are mapped to the TOGA buttons on Throttle Quadrants 1 and 2
(3) Buttons T4 and T6 on the Left Quadrant are mapped to the THROTTLE CUTOFF LEVERS (toggle)
(4) When Buttons T4 and T6 are toggled to the OPEN position, then moving the Throttle Levers 1 and 2 from the IDLE position down into the DETENT slot causes the Throttles to move into the Cutoff Position. Similarly Throttle Levers 1 and 2 can only be moved out of the Cutoff position by first toggling the THROTTLE CUTOFF LEVERS at Buttons T4 and T6 into OPEN.
(5) Right Quadrant Levers 1 and 2 mapped to Reverser Levers 1 and 2, giving full range of reverse thrust. The Detent slot is not used.
(6) Right Throttle Quadrant Lever 3 is mapped to the Flaps Axis.

Steps

(in my setup, the Left Throttle Quadrant is part of my Saitek Pro-Flight Yoke system which is Joystick "K", and Right Throttle Quadrant is Joystick "E".
(1) Throttle Axis Range in CRJ Manager: FSUIPC without Reverser Range
(2) Here are the relevant parts of my FSUIPC4.ini file

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes

E=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
E.GUID={DBCB2B40-097E-11E1-8005-444553540000}

K=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
K.GUID={5287F0D0-C921-11E1-8002-444553540000}

[LuaFiles]
99=CRJ700box

(3) Here is the LUA script entitled CRJ700box.lua

ipc.display("CRJ700 BOX actuated",5)

-- TQ_TOGA
function ASCRJ_TQ_TOGA_1 (joynum, button) 
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_TOGA_1", 1)
end

function ASCRJ_TQ_TOGA_2 (joynum, button) 
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_TOGA_2", 1)
end

-- TQ_CUTOFF
function TQ_CUTOFF_1_TOGGLE (joynum, button)
	if ipc.readLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_CUTOFF_1") == 0 then ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_CUTOFF_1", 1)
	else ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_CUTOFF_1", 0)
	end
end

function TQ_CUTOFF_2_TOGGLE (joynum, button)
	if ipc.readLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_CUTOFF_2") == 0 then ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_CUTOFF_2", 1)
	else ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_CUTOFF_2", 0)
	end
end

-- TQ_THROTTLE_1_close
function TQ_THROTTLE_1_CLOSE (joynum, button) 
	if ipc.readLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_THROTTLE_1_POS") > 395 and ipc.readLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_CUTOFF_1") == 0 then
		ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_THROTTLE_1_POS", 500)
	end
end

-- TQ_THROTTLE_2_close
function TQ_THROTTLE_2_CLOSE (joynum, button) 
	if ipc.readLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_THROTTLE_2_POS") > 395 and ipc.readLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_CUTOFF_2") == 0 then
		ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_THROTTLE_2_POS", 500)
	end
end

-- TQ_REVERSE_1_POS
function TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_0 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_1_POS", 0)
end

function TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_15 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_1_POS", 15)	
end

function TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_30 (flag) 
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_1_POS", 30)
end

function TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_45 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_1_POS", 45)
end

function TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_60 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_1_POS", 60)
end

function TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_75 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_1_POS", 75)
end

-- TQ_REVERSE_2_POS
function TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_0 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_2_POS", 0)	
end

function TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_15 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_2_POS", 15)	
end

function TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_30 (flag) 
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_2_POS", 30)
end

function TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_45 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_2_POS", 45)
end

function TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_60 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_2_POS", 60)
end

function TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_75 (flag)
	ipc.writeLvar("L:ASCRJ_TQ_REVERSE_2_POS", 75)
end

------------------------------------------------------------------

event.button("K", 16, "ASCRJ_TQ_TOGA_1")
event.button("K", 18, "ASCRJ_TQ_TOGA_2")

event.button("K", 17, "TQ_CUTOFF_1_TOGGLE")
event.button("K", 19, "TQ_CUTOFF_2_TOGGLE")

event.button("K", 21, "TQ_THROTTLE_1_CLOSE")
event.button("K", 22, "TQ_THROTTLE_2_CLOSE")

event.flag(10, "TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_0")
event.flag(11, "TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_15")
event.flag(12, "TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_30")
event.flag(13, "TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_45")
event.flag(14, "TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_60")
event.flag(15, "TQ_REVERSE_1_POS_75")

event.flag(20, "TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_0")
event.flag(21, "TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_15")
event.flag(22, "TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_30")
event.flag(23, "TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_45")
event.flag(24, "TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_60")
event.flag(25, "TQ_REVERSE_2_POS_75")

(4) Here are the relevant parts of my CRJ700.ini profile, showing Autostart of the LUA and the assignment of axes ranges on the reversers.

[Profile]
Created=22/08/2017 10:00:51

[Auto]
7=Lua CRJ700box

[Axes]

4=EX,256
5=EX,B,10922,16384,L99:S,10	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 10) }-
6=EX,B,5461,10921,L99:S,11	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 11) }-
7=EX,B,0,5460,L99:S,12	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 12) }-
8=EX,B,-5461,-1,L99:S,13	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 13) }-
9=EX,B,-10921,-5462,L99:S,14	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 14) }-
10=EX,B,-16384,-10922,L99:S,15	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 15) }-
11=EY,256
12=EY,B,10922,16384,L99:S,20	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 20) }-
13=EY,B,5461,10921,L99:S,21	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 21) }-
14=EY,B,0,5460,L99:S,22	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 22) }-
15=EY,B,-5461,-1,L99:S,23	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 23) }-
16=EY,B,-10921,-5462,L99:S,24	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 24) }-
17=EY,B,-16384,-10922,L99:S,25	-{ Entering=LuaSet CRJ700box (Flag 25) }-

25=KU,256,D,9,0,0,0	-{ DIRECT: Throttle1 }-
26=KV,256,D,10,0,0,0	-{ DIRECT: Throttle2 }-

I would be happy to elaborate on the entire method/scripting if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Chakko.

10 hours ago, ckovoor said:

(2) Buttons T3 and T5 on the Left Quadrant are mapped to the TOGA buttons on Throttle Quadrants 1 and 2
(3) Buttons T4 and T6 on the Left Quadrant are mapped to the THROTTLE CUTOFF LEVERS (toggle)
(4) When Buttons T4 and T6 are toggled to the OPEN position, then moving the Throttle Levers 1 and 2 from the IDLE position down into the DETENT slot causes the Throttles to move into the Cutoff Position. Similarly Throttle Levers 1 and 2 can only be moved out of the Cutoff position by first toggling the THROTTLE CUTOFF LEVERS at Buttons T4 and T6 into OPEN.
(5) Right Quadrant Levers 1 and 2 mapped to Reverser Levers 1 and 2, giving full range of reverse thrust. The Detent slot is not used.
(6) Right Throttle Quadrant Lever 3 is mapped to the Flaps Axis.

Some minor corrections to my post above in red:

(3) Buttons T3 and T5 on the Left Quadrant are mapped to the TOGA buttons on Throttle Levers 1 and 2
(4) Buttons T4 and T6 on the Left Quadrant are mapped to the THROTTLE CUTOFF LEVERS (toggle)
(5) When Buttons T4 and T6 are toggled to the OPEN position, then moving the Throttle Levers 1 and 2 from the IDLE position down into the DETENT slot causes the Throttles to move into the Cutoff Position. Similarly Throttle Levers 1 and 2 can only be moved out of the Cutoff position by first toggling the THROTTLE CUTOFF LEVERS at Buttons T4 and T6 into OPEN.
(6) Right Quadrant Levers 1 and 2 mapped to Reverser Levers 1 and 2, giving full range of reverse thrust. The Detent slot is not used.
(7) Right Throttle Quadrant Lever 3 is mapped to the Flaps Axis.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived