Installation of Scenery not automatically updating scenery library

philippe

Hello,

For a reason that is  beyond me, my recent installations of Aerosoft scenery is not automatically updating the scenery library (and therefore the scenery.cfg).  

I had to completely uninstall FSX SE last week  due to a faulty module xml and dll file... I had accidentally installed Vistamare, and it totally messed up FSX SE...  Anyways, long story short, I decided to redo everything from scratch, which fixed my problem, but now I have this odd issue that when I install Mega Airport Frankfurt 2.0, German Airports 2, etc., I have to manually activate them in FSX.  Not a huge issue per se, but annoying nonetheless.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue?  

I am running FSX SE, and I have not installed FSX boxed on this PC.

Any assistance is always appreciated.

Cheers

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you never ever had FSX installed on your system, FSX:SE behaves like FSX in term of its used folders. So when installing an add on you have to select FSX as target platform. 

13 hours ago, OPabst said:

How do you install Vistamare? Where did you get it from? And why did you install it?

The first time, it was with AES.  Understand that when I was  rebuilding FSX, it had been nearly 5 years since the last time I flew on FSX, and I had recently purchased FSX SE.  I had no idea it was not compatible with FSX SE (yet).  

It also automatically installs with (if memory serves me right) GAP 2 - Köln/Bonn, and also GAP 3 Berlin Tegel I believe.  

Knowing now it causes issues with FSX SE, I just delete the folder in FSX SE, and disable it in the dll.xml:

<Launch.Addon>
        <Name>VistaMare Core</Name>
        <Disabled>true</Disabled>
        <ManualLoad>true</ManualLoad>
        <Path>VistaMare\ViMaCoreX.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>

11 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

If you never ever had FSX installed on your system, FSX:SE behaves like FSX in term of its used folders. So when installing an add on you have to select FSX as target platform. 

Yes, I was aware that FSX SE behaves like FSX for the folders.  When I install a scenery, and I can specifically choose between FSX and FSX SE, you are telling me I should be selecting just FSX??

3 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

Yes. Otherwise the installer assumes the scenery configuration files at a wrong location.

Knowing what I know now, I get it, but it also makes no sense.  Why would Aerosoft take the time and effort to make a specific distinction between the two in the installer?  Plus, it is not specified in the installation instructions to specifically choose FSX instead of FSX SE if I never installed FSX boxed version.  Shouldn't that be specified in the installer as well?

So a funny thing happened this morning... I had to unplug my Western Digital HD (which houses my FSX SE) from my motherboard as I needed a spare SATA cable for a few mins to plug in my BluRay drive.  When I reinserted the SATA cable in the HD, Windows 10 decided to change the denomination of my HD from E drive to... F drive.  No idea why.  Obviously, that screwed up a lot of things with FSX, AS16, FTX, etc.  Not a huge hurdle per se, just time consuming to remap everything.  I did have to uninstall my scenery (FSX could not find the paths to them, obviously).  Not even 5 mins ago, I reinstalled Frankfurt 2.0 (yes, now that is my 3rd time in less than a month I am installing it), selecting FSX SE in the installer (just minutes before your reply Tom), and it worked like a charm.  It even registered in the scenery.cfg.

I am running out of ideas here on why it did not work before, and now it did.

Problem (sort of...?) solved?

13 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

Yes. Otherwise the installer assumes the scenery configuration files at a wrong location.

So, this is what I have at the moment:

F Drive - FSX SE 

On my C drive: [username]/appdata/roaming/microsoft/FSX (that is where I have my dll.xml and FSX.cfg) and also C drive: Program Data/Microsoft/FSX (scenery.cfg).  No seperate folders for FSX SE can be found (other than under my Steam Games).

Keep in mind I systematically chose the FSX SE when installing my previous scenery.

• Deputy Sheriffs

From support experience here in the forums I know that there are circumstances where the installer doesn't detect FSX:SE correctly. I don't know it's code, so I can't tell 100% precisely which those circumstances are. 

But if a scenery doesn't show up in the scenery library after installation it is always a good idea to install it again and select FSX (of course only if you have just FSX:SE installed, and not FSX additionally parallel to that), or add it manually. 

I am glad it works now for you ;)

• 1 month later...

I have had difficulty installing Frankfurt version 2 into my Steam FSX. I purchased it this afternoon. After installing the scenery it does not appear in my scenery library. I attempted to install it manually which appeared to be succesful but after it appears to build the scenery configuration file it has disappeared again. I tried installing Oslo v 2 and the same thing happened.

Is there any explanation for this problem?

Thank-you,

Michael Houghton

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Michael, did you run the installer as Administrator (right click on the setup file and choose "Run as Administrator")?

Also do you have FSX and FSX:SE installed in parallel?

Read from here onward:

On 23.4.2017 at 9:02 AM, Tom A320 said:

I guessed that it must be a problem with the scenery config file. When i looked at it I noticed a problem with an entry for Fly tampa Sydney. I have no idea how this occured but on editing out the widely spaced text the problem is resolved. I am sorry to have troubled you with this.

Regards,

Michael Houghton

• Deputy Sheriffs

No problem Michael, and thanks for your finding. You should talk to FlyTampa, maybe they have an idea how this could happened. Never seen something like this before.

Archived