Piper Cheyenne sound problem

richstacy

Help.

I recently purchased, downloaded and installed the Piper Cheyenne without a hitch.

I Learned quite a bit about the aircraft with several takeoffs and landings around the San Fransisco Bay Area and on a test flight from the Bay Area to Las Vegas. My problem: engine sound. When I power up the sound comes up nicely, but when I cut the power to descend and land the power comes down, the torque gages works and I can land O.K. -- but the sound stays at full power levels. when I cut the torque to 0 on short final it still sounds like I'm taking off.

I'm using CH yoke and rudders.

I did reload the plane once but it made no difference. I am not a computer whiz. Other than this problem, the Cheyenne would seem to be on a par with the (brand x) super King Air, my fave.

Rich

Hi Rich!

Actually, what you hear in the Piper is right! On most Turboprop Aircraft the sound is modelled wrong. While reducing power, the RPM stays at the same level, therfore the sound does not change. But if you listen closely, you will notice the the whining sound of the turbine, way in the background, will drop.

However, when you cut power to zero, at one stage the engine RPM will drop, and this is when the sound really changes.

Marco, thanks for your prompt reply. I recognize the truth of what you say -- to a point -- but only to a point. I have ridden in at least two dozen turboprops in my day including several King Airs, Lockheed Electras, C-130s, Convair 580s, Beech 1900s, DeHavalind Otters and 8s, Embraers, etc. -- and I have spent a few hours in the right seat of a King Air. In my humble opinion, the Aeroworx Super King Air has it very nearly right and the Cheyenne has it quite wrong. In any turbo prop, you can always tell when massive torque is being delivered to the props as opposed to none at a all -- despite the constant whipping of the air by the steady RPM. The difference may be subtle, but it is easily detectable. It just doesn't happen in the real world to go from 100% power to 0% power with no change in tone. That has been my real world experience. The experience of my neighbor who has 20,000+ hours starting in DC3s and ending in DC10s and MD11s, with a few years in convairTrubo conversions, is the same.

At least I know there is nothing wrong with the sim. It is just poorly modeled. Otherwise, the Cheyenne seems a fine aircraft. Because of the sound issue, my vote has to go to the Super King Air though, still the finest and most realistic small aircraft on the sim market.

thanks again for your response, I appreciate it.

Mhh, iirc the sounds were recorded on a Cheyenne II during flight, and the Pilot of that aircraft, being the beta-tester, didn't complain. So, poorly modelled cannot be the answer.

I was only a passenger on that Cheyenne (3 or 4 years ago) and cannot recall precisely the sound.