• Aerosoft

Being a bit of a audiophile I bought new USB DAC last weekend and Amazon delivered it this morning. Pretty incredible thing (http://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/dragonfly-black-v15/review) and I am blown away by the fact that my Android phone is now able to send out 24 bit audio files at 96000 Hz to my amplifyer. Simply sounds better than my blu-ray audio player.

But of course I had to try it on my PC speakers (Edifier, amazing value for money) as well and even though my Asus X99 motherboard is supposed to have a serious sound output it sounded better. More open, instruments more defined. And I also think (it is always hard to say) that games sounded better. BF1, Elite Dangerous, both games that have great sound scapes, seem to be better. FS with it's 1990 sound engine sounds still like crap of course. Better, but still crap.

But could my eyes deceive me? Did I get a few more fps? An hour later I could confirm that I get 5 fps more on my standard high load test situation (51 fps versus 56 fps average) and 12 more frames on my low load test (111 fps versus 116 fps average). Now I knew that sound can have a an impact on fps and certainly on some low end motherboards the resources the sound chips need is atrocious but I did simply not expect that on my X99 motherboard. 

In the past I experimented with sound cards and never found one that actually reduced the load on the CPU measurably. But this external DAC does. And you get seriously better sound if you have speakers not made by Logitech etc. If you have a serious headset and some high Hz uncompressed sound files you also have a rather serious audio setup.

Costs 99 euro though. Those are expensive frames. If you are called Frank though I suggest you try it.

Archived