High altitude flying

AriesFirewind

Hello guys.

I am new here and up to now all was fine actualy it is most likely still fine but I came here due to problems of engine get on fire due to flying on high altitude.

I notices that whatewer I do I cannot 6-300 get above FL150 and I see in spec that top altitude is at FL250. I like to fly in alps a lot and this is big problem for me.

Main issue is that my engines get in ITT red area and get on fire. I tried to cool them a bit but I noticed that only power setting have some impact on ITT temperature. prop RPM don't show any change nor blower handle I found out  at bottom of cockpit.

I am almost sure that i somehow missing big part of handling twin otter engines and I would apreciate any help here on how to maintain propper cooling. One thing to note is that on my last attempt I was at 12000 ft and ITT came dash above mid 6 to 7 and it tend to rise with altitude. As I saw fuel levers only have on/off positions (someone correct me if i am wrong pls).

ANyway. I am waiting patiently for tips and general engine management How'to :)

See you all

Tommy

Novice pilot here but here's what I've had good luck with:

- Set take off power (typically about 45 psi)

- Initial climb out is usually about 1800 - 2000 FPM until about 1200 AGL

- Set climb power for about 800-1200 FPM and usually trim for between 110 - 90 IAS (based on wind, weather and weight I'll sometimes dial up the IAS but I try to never exceed 1500 FPM)

- Usually every 2000 feet I'll "readjust" for what Mark indicated, the ITT will climb. I try to stay a few ticks below yellow on the ITT and just let the torque fall where it may. I've never exceeded torque pressure when maintaining acceptable ITT (at least not yet)

- I'll leave the props at full until cruise and then I'll dial back to about 75% and then adjust for fuel flow, usually around 250 PPH (500 PPH total)

I've yet to have an engine fire and I've found the speed/fuel efficiency to be acceptable for the type of aircraft.

Thanks for tips guys.

I did onemore flight later after posting this topic and I basicaly tried to maintain 6,5 on ITT with my power lever since that was only obvious lowering ITT anyway. So my climb was mostly below 700 FPM and I managed to get to 17000 ft nicely. I will try also one more climbout with slightly different aproach and that is I will lower my rpm a bit in climb and try to tweak power to maintain about same climb rate. I will see what that will do but I am generaly ok with what i achived. I guess I will go and test how high I can go without stall in full plane and without engine fire. Just to satisfy my curiosity and to see can i get to max 25000 as it is written in specs.

Archived