Need some help with the approach phase on the mcdu

Xander975

I need some help with setting up the MCDU when I go into the approach phase. There is these 2 things that I have trouble figuring out. If u open the APPR tab there is this thing called Baro on the right side of the MCDU, same case for Radio. What am I supposed to fill in there?? (the picture down below is just a example to show u what I am asking about)

Capture1.PNG

Howdy, Xander. You are pretty much into details of A320 here. So it is hard to explain them easily. I try it never the less and I excuse myself for simplizations.

For Precision, or better said ILS-Approaches you set RADIO to 200.

Things look different when doing a non-precision approach. Here you need to fill BARO with the Minimum Decision Alt. And where do get the MDA? Well, you will find it in the relevant runway charts of the airport you were traveling to.

So much shortly, trying to keep it simple. Actually your question is handled in VATSIM as part of around several PTDs.

Hi Xander,

this is an easy one.

first off: You did not yet set your landing runway in the FPLN page. Please do that before filling out any of the other fields.

Next to your question:
The BARO and RADIO options are for the approach minima.
You shall only fill out one at a time using the published minimum decision altitude for the approach you are flying which can be found on the chart.

For an ILS CAT I you will use the BARO minimum, for CAT II and III (a-d) you use the RADIO.

Any other approach type uses BAROmetric minimum.

The difference between the two is the altimeter that will be used for the minimum callout on your approach. On BARO it uses the barometric altimeter (altitude above sea level if set to QNH), on RADIO it uses the radioaltimeter (height above the ground).

• Deputy Sheriffs
22 minutes ago, Guinea-Pig on Glideslope said:

For Precision, or better said ILS-Approaches you set RADIO to 200.

Vatsim skill ratings seem to be rather low nowadays.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Being a certified Vastim PTD 1/2/4 rated pilot I assume you know that entering 200 radio height for an ILS Cat 1 is a nono IRL. I therefor wonder what you need to know for these ratings as you do not seem to master the basics with regard to an ILS Cat 1 minimum. With all due respect of course. ;) 

I fully support you answering questions here. I am just a bit thrown off by your sig in combination with your answer.

18 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

You shall only fill out one at a time using the published minimum decision altitude for the approach you are flying which can be found on the chart.

Is it marked on the decent profile of the approach chart? bc if that is so than I have done it right so far

• Deputy Sheriffs

This is an example of the ILS08L in Berlin Tegel. Normally ILS CAT 1 approaches are flown if there is no fog. The Airbus A318-321 series is an category C aircraft so you always want to look at this row for your applicable minimum. In the example the correct minimum for an CAT 1 approach would be 310 feet. This you enter in the BARO field. If you are interested in a more in depth explanation of minima for different approaches you can find a lot of information via google.

Please login to display this image.

Now that we're on the topic, most plates make sense to me when it comes to minimums. For example, the ILS 05 approach minima at Pearson are pretty straightforward:

And the CAT II for the same runway is self explanatory:

But that being said, how about the US ones? I've tried making heads or tails of the numbers in the US pubs and I can't figure out which numbers mean what. I mean, 304/18 200(200-0.5)? 540/24 436(500-0.5)?:

Does anyone want to chime in and give me an idea?

Archived