TACAN and ILS - One Frequency

bonesvf103

In the manual it says that (Avionics, page 23-24) it says that both the TACAN and ILS are tuned by a frequency specific to each carrier.  As I understand it, this frequency is both a TACAN and and ILS simultaneously, depending on how you set your STEER CMD.  But I have 2 questions:

1)  If you tune say 58X for the Kitty Hawk, you should see TACAN steering cues when you press the TACAN button, and ILS steering cues when you press the AWL/PCD button.  However, I don't see these cues in either mode.  Why is that?

2)  When you spawn a carrier, it specifies a TACAN frequency and an ILS frequency (for Kitty Hawk it is 58X (or 112.1) for TACAN and 111.95 for ILS).  Why is this if in the manual it says the one TACAN frequency would give you both TACAN and ILS depending on which submode button you push?  And BTW, when I tune the TACAN on NAV1 in the radio stack and ILS in NAV2 on the radio stack, then I get steering cues as I should--but only then.

Thanks.

v6,

boNes

OK, so I found that thread.  From reading it, it sounds like it is a bug but only if you are using TacPack and spawning a carrier on the fly.

Just so that I'm completely understanding it:  If you are planning on spawning the Kitty Hawk, you have to set the frequency for TACAN 58X and ILS 111.95 in TacPack.  Then, in game you spawn the carrier but you set NAV1 to 27X (109.0) not 58X  for TACAN and set NAV2 to 111.95 for ILS.  You will see ILS needles if AWL steering is selected along with TACAN range data.  Both NAV radios have to be tuned in this way, ie, if you tune 111.95 in NAV1, you won't get ILS, even if you hit AWL.  It must be in NAV2.  Moreover, if you have 111.95 in NAV2, it won't work unless NAV1 is ALSO set to 27X (109.0).

If you are using the stock Kitty Hawk missions, or if you use another carrier like the Acceleration one or Abacus' USS Ford, this adjustment is not needed, ie, the correct TACAN is 58X, but you still have to tune NAV1 and NAV2 properly. 

Sound right?

On that thought, in the real F-14, is there only one "NAV1", that being the TACAN, and only one "COM1" or maybe also a COM2 since there are two readouts for frequency on the right vertical panel?  If you tuned the TACAN in the real F-14 and it had ILS, then you would see ILS information as well when you hit AWL?  Just wanting to know how the real one compares to the sim one.

v6,

boNes

If I spawn the Kitty Hawk with TP, I only need to tune the TACAN listed on the UHF radio cover. I make no changes to the carrier freqs prior to spawning the carrier. I then change to the mode I need for flying, either TACAN for the marshall stack or AWL for the approach.

Yes, one NAV1, in this case the TACAN is your NAV1. You also have the ADF found on the UHF radio. Remember the ILS/TACAN is in this model is based on flight sim limits. Real world Tomcats did not have civilian ILS capability as most USN aircraft only use ACLS, signals sent from the mother ship for all weather landings. 2 COM radios like the real jet, only VHF.

Archived