Airfield Creation for Trainee ATC'er

Dear All,

This month i have begun training as a military ATC'er and i have turned to GATC which turns out to be a fantastic training aid to help practice procedures in a system similar to our own simulators.

I have figured out how to create aircraft with different characteristics and implement them into any airport I wish, however to really help me i need to edit an airport/map.

For training we use a real, but disused airfield not included in GATC so I ask three questions.

1. Can an airfield be created from scratch onto which i can upload nav beacons? bearing in mind I have the Lat/Long so I assume the terrain and nav beacons can be taken off a database?

2. Failing the above, does anyone know an airfield that utilises a single runway 07/25 with flat land around the airfield? (all i've found either have multiple runways or high land surrounding them)

3. Again failing point 1, can the terrain and/or nav beacons be edited on an airfield suggested in point 2?

Your help is very much appreciated.

James

Not sure, if this meets your needs, but here are at least some tips:

- In the airports.txt file of Navigraph AIRAC 1702 you will find 974 Airports with a runway 07/25

- In the airports.txt file of NavDataPro AIRAC 1701 there are 681 Airports with a runway 07/25

I don't know about the surrounding terrain of course, but what you can of course do is search all of them until you find flat land around.

You can edit every file using a capable text editor.

So even if you find an airport with multiple runways you can remove or comment out the runways that you don't need. 

Just take a look at the files inside the NavDataPro directory and it's PROC subdirectory. You will find a lot of interesting information inside.

Also there is an airport editor within the software that might be useful.

HTH :-)

Hi Broadway,

Thanks for the help, after two attempts, ive managed to transpose an airfield into the correct Lat/Long and is finally working properly with a military "airline".

However i keep getting an error whenever i set an automatic climb out height to 1,500ft as it is below a minimum specified value. Do you know where i can find this minimum value and change it? 

Best regards

James

Hey James,

good to hear that you have managed it so far!

One question concerning your additional issue: Are you talking about the "Initial Climb Altitude"?

Best

Broadway

Yes Initial Climb Altitude.

On one airfield i couldn't set below 4,000ft and on my transposed airfield i cant climb out below 7,000ft without an error, so it must be in settings somewhere, I just cant find it.

Cheers

James

I am not sure this is in the AIRAC data...

However you can set the Initial Climb Altitude in the 'Procedures' on the right panel.

Or you can set it using the Airport Editor.

However this setting appears to be dependent on the elevation of the airport.

For example at Schiphol (EHAM=-11 ft AMSL) you can set an Initial Climb Altitude of 1500 ft, while at Innsbruck (LOWI=1907 ft AMSL) you obviously can't.

HTH :-)

Archived