F14X ACLS Missing Carrier Everytime

machtoo

Well I turned the wind off completely went out 18 miles ...was able to get command control...watched the a/c approach the carrier, 120 knots approach speed on auto throttle,  ball was right on and the plane landed in the water passed the carrier...go figure...will try again tomorrow....I know a bolter is possible with ACLS but a complete miss with no wind??????

This was the F14 Oahu flight.

Loaded the San Diego F14 flight, captured the ACLS perfectly.  DLC engaged, Speed brake out, full flaps, gear down, 120 knots ...watched the approach in two views...ball centered by ACLS, F14 flew right over the deck into water.

This is twice in a row...I have the flight profile and capture down pat...what is causing the F14 to miss the carrier completely?

Can land manually with no issues.

Also, my indicators for ACL Ready and AP Cmd Ctrl are red instead of white as I have seen in some videos...assume that is a version change.

One last observation and question....I have had Landing Check, ACL Ready, AP Coupler, and AP Cmd Ctrl all on flying the approach and have had the Voice indicator come on at the same time...why would this occur on a smooth coupled approach even though it ultimately misses the deck completely?

Thanks

Dean Taunton

Dean

Version change for light colors, vid was made after initial release.

Ran the Oahu saved flight. I didn't check the time but my boat didn't spawn, so used Tacpack menu to generate CV63 10nm ahead, ownship heading, moving at 20kts. All correct lights (no VOICE for me), ACLS box working as advertised. 1st approach was similar to your San Diego flight, on/on until at-ramp, then autopilot took a high ball and just flew that well past the landing area (past 4wire). Next one was manual just using the ACLS box and autothrottles for AoA, my at-ramp inputs put it on deck. Honestly don't use it that much, prefer manual for the challenge, but will test more to see if it's a bug.

Are you running the full approach (CV-1)?  I found if I engaged ACLS further out and a few hundred feet higher, 7nm at 1.5k verse 1.2k until 3nm, the ACLS seemed to have more time to stabilize.

I was running the whole approach starting 18 miles out to get used to the ACLS as it is very particular...4000 feet...intercept and engage at about 10nm...very stable descent for the ACLS.  I also noticed the set wind message was coming on initially on every flight..when I would pause and look in weather setup by the canned flight, the wind was already at the correct heading or within a few degrees however it would prevent ACL Ready.

Once I trust this thing I will try it in CASE III...but can't trust it yet.

I have never got it to work either... I have more luck flying case III using the ACLS GUI (I move it up near canopy frame)... then to reduce work load use auto throttle until 3/4 mile then disengage... its a lot easier to hand fly after that... I wish the ACLS worked, I have tried different carriers and many different approaches... there were a couple of times I thought it would land... but no.... I also had VLSO on and they waved me off on every ACLS approach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... if others are having no issue... makes me wonder if it's a FSX setting or other add on that might the contributing factor?

Like I said, I never had a ACLS trap... but it sure did look like it would... I will play around this weekend (if I get time).

Ok.... got it 

I normally start at KSAN... this time I got faraway from the Kitty Hawk ... and spawned a Nimitz... couldn't get one with the Nimitz... tried Kitty Hawk that I spawned and made a nice ACLS APPCH catching a 3 wire... VLSO waved me off...was slightly high and slow for moment... gave me a C3...

Good thing ACLS appchs aren't graded...

Archived