Need Some Advice

machtoo

I own and have flown 100s of A/C in FSX  including the VRS Superbug and several in real life as a pilot.  I have read everything in this forum  and other sources.  I have watched a video of an ACLS approach for the F14X a dozen times and attempted to fly the ACLS approach a couple of dozen times without success.  I have landed successfully manually each time.  I start out with a launch and fly downwind heading about 15-18 miles at 4000 feet.

1. Speedbrake out .....slow  turn toward localizer with the approach gauge on. 

2. Turn onto localizer and work to line up heading indicator and localizer.  Get stabilized...

3. Below 300, gear down...below 225 flaps full...hook down ...trim trim trim...maintain 4000. About 170 knts toggle DLC.

4. Dot moves into box slowly...Landing check and ACL ready come on. Set Auto Throttle and throttles retard.  AP armed

5. About this time a Set wind 126 comes on and the indicator goes to Voice...except on one occasion all indicators were on but it would not engage with Shift g.

Why does the Set Wind message come on?  I read that you hit Shift 7 to "Set Wind" but this not seem correct as it toggles the approach gauge and it doesn't seem to do anything.  Why does it reset the indicators to Voice?

Also, when this Set Wind message comes in the approach Gauge bow, the dot jumps out of the box.  I have seen two green dots on occasion.  If I get everything back on track the indicators never come back on for the rest of the approach.

This A/C model is extremely sensitive...I have flown in the back set of the F14 on test flights and it didn't react like this in real life.

I also increased my dead zones but not sure how much is needed for this aircraft.

I have a very high end system (I7 3.6 GHZ, 24Gb of ram, (2) 24" monitors, twin Nivida 980 GTX cards, HOTAS Warthog controls and Crosswind pedals, Thrustmaster MFDs (for the Superbug) etc.  My sticks are calibrated perfectly.

Need some advice on getting this thing to engage ACLS.

Thanks in advance,

Dean Taunton

If you get message "set wind to 126" you have to go to weather settings and set wind to 126 degrees.  it is because of limitation of ACLS.  VOICE means it is not possible to use ACLS because of wind direction. It is described in manual.

Thanks for the lead...although I read the manuals I missed that one.  What I find interesting is this is one of the canned flights that are installed with the a/c and when I saw this message I checked the weather settings and the wind is "custom" that is saved with the flight.  The wind was set at only 2 knots which I would not expect to affect the aircraft...but we'll change it before launch and see if that makes the difference.

Thanks for the lead...although I read the manuals I missed that one.  What I find interesting is this is one of the canned flights that are installed with the a/c and when I saw this message I checked the weather settings and the wind is "custom" that is saved with the flight.  The wind was set at only 2 knots which I would not expect to affect the aircraft...but we'll change it before launch and see if that makes the difference......

well I turned the wind off completely went out 18 miles ...was able to get command capture...watched the a/c approach the carrier, ball was right on and the plane landed in the water passed the carrier...go figure...will try again tomorrow....I know a bolter is possible with ACLS but a complete miss with no wind??????

Thanks for the lead...although I read the manuals I missed that one.  What I find interesting is this is one of the canned flights that are installed with the a/c and when I saw this message I checked the weather settings and the wind is "custom" that is saved with the flight.  The wind was set at only 2 knots which I would not expect to affect the aircraft...but we'll change it before launch and see if that makes the difference......

well I turned the wind off completely went out 18 miles ...was able to get command capture...watched the a/c approach the carrier, ball was right on and the plane landed in the water passed the carrier...go figure...will try again tomorrow....I know a bolter is possible with ACLS but a complete miss with no wind??????

This was the F14 Oahu flight.

Archived