Shift-2 Checklist Questions

bonesvf103

Questions as I go through the shift 2 checklist:

START

-After you bring the right throttle to idle per the checklist, the next step is to check the R Eng Caution Lights.  R GEN OFF/R FUEL PRESS OFF.  Shouldn't there be a step after R Throttle to idle to flip the right master generator off so that the R GEN light turns off? 

-Then for the R Eng instrument check, I can't seem to get it to recognize tha5t I checked it except to bump the throttle a little bit to get a response from the RPM/EGT/FF tapes.  Is this correct?

-Then again with the L Throttle to idle--shouldn't the next step be to turn the left master generator off then check the L GEN lamp is off?

POSTSTART

-How do you tell from the wing sweep lever what position they are in?  For the markings under the safety cover, is it when the numbered markings is right at the end of the "L" shape?

-What is the wing/ext trans for?  Fuel transfer selection?

-Where is the master reset?  Is it the master caution that is blinking above the VDI?

-Where is the radar altimeter on/off switch?

-What is the master test "stick sw" for?

-How do you get maneuver flaps down?  I set up a keystroke for floats (retract) as well as floats (extend) but every time I hit those keystrokes, the DLC switch on the stick toggles and the maneuver flaps checklist does not check off.  Clicking on the checklist for it does not do check off either.  If I click the switch on the stick it works and checks off though.

-For checks such as compass, displays, turn slip indicator, etc---is that just a visual check really to get the checklist to check off, or do you just check it off the checklist yourself?

-During engine run up, I drag the throttles to MIL but the checklist doesn't check off for it.  So I click on it and the sim throws the throttles to full AB and leaves it stuck there and I start rolling.  I can't drag the throttle back.  The only way to throw it back into idle is throw my physical

HOTAS throttle to AB then quickly back to idle.  By then, I've rolled halfway down the runway.  Something wrong?

-Checking the MCB test lights off per the checklist, the BINGO and LAUNCH BAR lights are on.  If I turn the Master Test switch to off, they go off.  So, after I turned the master test to "stick sw" as previous in the checklist, shouldn't there be another step for turning the master test switch off afterwards?  But now even though the lights are off, the MCB test lights step has not checked off.  I had to click the checkbox myself.

-Eng Instrument check:  are you meant to just push the throttles to burner (99%-100% RPM), check TIT, FF, NOZ, oil, and hyd then throw it back to idle?  Because if so, again you roll down the runway since you are in burner for a bit.

-Under the takeoff part, is the carrier holdback bar the same as the launch bar?

-Is there a button to zero the trim?

Also...shouldn't there be a step to turn your oxygen on?

POST LANDING

-How do you turn the avionics off?  Aside from turning off power to the displays?  Is there an battery switch or avionics switch?  I shut down as much as I can and see the radio display is still on and the landing light.  I turned the generators to off and they are still on.  What's wrong?

-How do you arm/safe the ejection seats?

The checklist doesn't check off in post landing, either by doing the steps or by clicking with the mouse.  Something wrong?

Side note--whilst in dusk, I turn on the console lights.  All the details of the panels disappear and the fuselage and canopy frame become transparent.  Bug?  See the pic.

Thanks!

v6,

boNes

2017-1-20_4-3-42-231.BMP

boNes,

I'm assuming you found and read all of the manuals?

START

For your pre-start, all GENs should be on ON or in NORM. After R ENG start, check tapes and dials for proper numbers from the checklist

POSTSTART

1. Upper right corner between MASTER ARM and R FUEL SHUTOFF is your wing sweep indicator. 

2. Search the forums here for info, but should be OFF.

3.Yes, after most tests you will need to "push to reset"

4.In this current version, it is always on

5.Tests spoilers circuit, follow checklist and then run MASTER TEST, as with all tests, wait about 5 seconds for a green "GO" light on the master test panel.

6.FSUIPC is helpful here, but if not use the switch on the stick and watch the cockpit "tooltips", you should hear a sound and see the MAN FLAPs change on the WINGS/FLAPS position indicator. You will have to roll your mouse wheel.

7.Visual check

8. So you are not using a joystick with throttles? Highly recommended and will make flying the Tomcat easier.

9.The BINGO light will go out if you set something in the window other than "0000", normally done at pre-start.  You may have your launch bar set to a key command, after the KNEEL check, the launch bar should retract as well. After all MCB checks are done, rotate switch to OFF and push down.

10.Out of the F-14B flight manual, 90% is used on the engine checks, and I can only assume this would be close to the TF-30 powered "A", if you need to go higher check one engine at a time.

11. For deck launch, the holdback bar is attached by flight deck crew and stays on the catapult, it's job is self described to "hold " you on the catapult.

12. Recommend you set up a joystick rocker switch for trim, the Tomcat must be trimmed in all modes of flight and without the autopilot, you will be using this button constantly, especially in the landing phase.

13. No step, just known to turn O2 on.

POSTLANDING

1. That is correct, if you have the parking brake set, you are automatically connected to ground electrical power. So radios, TACAN, and displays off are your only concerns here. Have the RIO turn off the RADAR. Not implemented for seats.

2.Not sure if it is a bug, but I use it as a guide only. For the start check, the only thing I have to actually click on is the "Ladder Light", to have ladder/steps retract.

Not sure about the lighting issue, graphics card or DX setting?

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I have the manual and have read through them

Some other questions:

I notice at times when I start the flight even with "cold and dark" selected that the aircraft starts running and ready to go.  It won't go cold and dark unless I end the flight then restart the flight.  Why is that?

I noticed too if you let the sim to the checklist, whenever it turns a knob to do a test, it only pulls and rotates it.  To do the actual test you have to push down on it to execute the test then it will check off on the checklist.

PRESTART

1.  Extend and retract fuel probe.  Why?  There is no power to the system and so it doesn't deploy (not like later in the checklist), so why is it in the checklist at this point?

2.  Starter air on:   Is this the switch for the air start?  Or is this an external connection that just happens like the ground safety pins being removed?  If it is the air start switch, it is already in norm position and is already checked off in the checklist without doing anything.  Is it supposed to be switched to on?

3.  Sometimes when going to the checklist and doing the extend/retract speedbrake, it extends the brake, then leaves it there.  Trying to retract it, they retract but automatically go back to extending.  I don't know why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Is this a bug?  The only time I got the speedbrakes to work here was to rotate the test knob (it was still in mach lev) to off and press down on it, which is a step that occurs three steps AFTER the speedbrake check..

4.  Spoiler check doesn't always result in a check off the list even though I follow it to the T.  Ideas?

Also

No step for turning emergency gen to norm...is it just left as is?

Just before takeoff the checklist directs you to turn off brake to put it back anyway 2 steps later.  Why?

There is no step to release the parking brake even though it was set during run up.  I've run down the runway and realized the brake was still on causing a brake caution light to turn on that never turns off.

v6,

boNes

What default aircraft are you using when starting the sim? I generally start with the stock C-172, then switch to the Tomcat unless I am flying one of the included saved flights, starting on the carrier.

1/2, With the parking brake set, you have starter air and electrical power, no APU (F-18) or JFS (F-15,F-16), so anytime the brakes are set you are plugged in. So you do have electrical power to the IFR probe, but no hydraulic power, unless you use the handpump. The IFR probe switch controls which tanks receive fuel.

3. Could be a control or key binding set up issue, I had an issue with this at one time with FSUIPC and my TM Warthog throttle, the speedbrake would stay extended.

4. I get that at times, again most of the checks seem to take about 5 seconds, recommend setting the switches, run the check then don't touch anything.

Another item that would be in the pre-start check after you climb in. All the GENS on, ramps in AUTO, throttle to BOOST.

I see that at the TAXI check, then putting the brake on to do the RUN UP. Real world you would have your feet on the toes brakes in case the parking brake fails, after the checks the parking brake would come off and hold the jet with your toe brakes.

Archived