Moving up to Flying VATSIM / IVAO

DaveCT2003

50 minutes ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

I respect all the controllers and the pilots on both networks and tend to think they are proffessional (at least the ATC). Therefore I tried to prepare myself as good as possible: I know the basics of flying and navigation, I know my plane and handle it very good and with ease, I watch videos on ATC COMM's and I also listen to real ATC somethimes....

So after tuning in to real ATC and understanding most of the information, I connect to VATSIM (write also on vPilot the information that I'm a new pilot only to prepare the controllers) and some of them still talk fast, without any punctuation, not loud enough, have a bad mic...it's almost like a constant windcalmvisibilitygreaterthen20milesqnh1020squawk4342. Even after you ask: Say again for AirBerlinxxx, they talk the same without any enunciacion like a casette.

Because of respect, I tell myself I'm to dumb for this and start again practicing (also get nervous off course the next time I connect).

Put in your remarks "first online Flight" and they'll never know the difference and slow down a little. It's especially hard when you get a controller that's like, "Jjjjeeeeeettttttt bbbbllllueee 216 runway 2 clr4to heaadddddiingg 210." Some controllers do that trying to be all realistic but in real life the controllers don't speak that fast unless it's very busy and VATSIM controllers should do the same. Stay with it and eventually you'll begin to know what to look for and pick out the networks. You'll never understand everything said, trust me. 

Hi there. I'm moving slowly to VATSIM, but I think I'll like it, seems very interesting. So I wanted to ask, is it recommended to use the checklist feature of the Aerosoft Airbus on VATSIM? And, any advice you'd like to give me? Thanks in advance, have a great day!

58 minutes ago, Gantalyetos said:

Hi there. I'm moving slowly to VATSIM

Whatever procedures you chose to use on the flight deck are entirely up to you, it won't matter externally.  The only think will be the voice of the FO, so you might place it on your desktop speakers and VATSIM ATC on your headset so it FO voice doesn't interfere with you hearing ATC.

8 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Whatever procedures you chose to use on the flight deck are entirely up to you, it won't matter externally.  The only think will be the voice of the FO, so you might place it on your desktop speakers and VATSIM ATC on your headset so it FO voice doesn't interfere with you hearing ATC.

That goes for ALL sounds, speakers for sounds, headset for voice. depending on the controller and his setup (loud/quite/muffled,ect)  you can always adjust the two separately making things easier to manage. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, it's time to schedule the training!

The classes are not for those who are already experienced flying on VATSIM, but rather a segment of people who have never flown on the network to those who have flown a few times.

Get the Course Syllabus on THIS LINK.

We now have three (3) people signed up for the course, and we'll be taking a maximum of six (6) people.

The course will be fully interactive, meaning that we'll all be talking with each other as we discuss the subject matter in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.

The online virtual classroom will include audio/video presentations, and graphics overlaid over a whiteboard to help with explanations. Attendees will be also able to use the whiteboard to help explain any questions they might have.  In essence, this will be a small group of people getting together to discuss and learn more about something we all love - flight simulation.

We'll be closing out course registration this coming Monday, February 13th at midnight (Eastern Standard Time).

One addition to the Course Syllabus... Time Zones and Management of Time Zones/Time Sync in the simulator.

I'm looking forward to a great, fun course!

We now have only 2 slots remaining for those who will attend the course.  

I'll be asking a developer or two to provide discounts for scenery software - based on the interest and choice of the attendees is.

I would like to personally thank layth23 and iccowan, so very much, for their kind offers to assist with the course by providing ATC coverage.  This might well work out for us if we can get a third controller so long as between them all we can coverage from Clearance Delivery all the way through Center.

15 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

We now have only 2 slots remaining for those who will attend the course.  

I'll be asking a developer or two to provide discounts for scenery software - based on the interest and choice of the attendees is.

I would like to personally thank layth23 and iccowan, so very much, for their kind offers to assist with the course by providing ATC coverage.  This might well work out for us if we can get a third controller so long as between them all we can coverage from Clearance Delivery all the way through Center.

Looking forward to it!

We now have only one slot left, and I thought it would also be a good idea to have a few alternates - so if you're interested in attending please let me know!

This will be great fun!

This weekend we'll be sending out notices to those who registered for the class so we can set the schedule.

We ended up with one spot still available, should anyone else be interested.

I'm very much looking forward to this, it's going to be a lot of fun!

Archived