Need advice on upgrade

Ok, folks, here's the question I would like to discuss with you:

My System is pretty mediocre by today's standards: I7-3280, 16GB RAM, GTX 680, all drives are SSDs. I run on 1920x1080.

This runs P3D fine with real weather on max (AS16), full ORBX products, decent autogen and trees, some but not much AI traffic - and planes with not too much demand on framerates. So, for example, with the Just Flight DC-10 or the standart 737 I can get 30fps locked all over the world.

However, when I use more complex or demanding planes, it is Game over. No way I can use the busses with 30fps, I struggle to get 20 in bad weather (despite using no AA at all).

So I think it's upgrade time :)

But I don't really know what to do. Route number 1 would be to rebuild my System from the scratch with a more potent processor (which do you recommend?) and a NVidia 1080.

Being pennywise, I wonder if JUST getting a 1080 into my system would help as well.

Given that my funds aren't endless - what would you suggest?

Best,

Bernhard

• Deputy Sheriffs

Bernhard, if you simply forget about the fps, how is your sim running, smooth or with stutters? Reason why I'm asking: my system is weaker then yours and too often I only looked at the numbers, but then found out that even with only 20fps it runs quite smooth. So I postponed a hardware upgrade to somewhere in the future.

Anyway, buying a new graphiccard wont you give much, as P3D is stll the same codebase as FSX and therefore asks for a fast CPU. But then the question is, does a new CPU fit to the rest of your hardware? Not only in terms of compatability but although performance.

IMHO best the solution is, if you are still somehow satisfied, wait and then buy/buld a completely new PC. Or for the moment try to overclock your CPU.

BTW: on my "very" old hardware (i7-860 overclocked to 3.66GHz + Geforce 660 + 8 GB RAm + SSDs) the Airbus and tons of addons run quite good in FSX (biggest problem again  are OOMs) and even a bit betteron P3D

Thanks for the Input. I took the plunge and ordered a MSI 1070 today, due to arrive tomorrow.

The reason why I decided to upgrade the graphics card was some experimentation: The 680 tends to be at 100% when the cloud cover is thicker, but not the CPU. OTOH, the Aerosoft Airbus in cloudless skies works good enough, so my card seems to be the bottleneck.

Archived