Question about CFG rebuild

mark767

I am about to update to the latest version of Prepar3d - Version 3.4, patch2.  The update instructions suggest that you delete your cfg file and let P3D rebuild it.  that is fine but I wonder what happens the next time I go back to using SimStarter.  Does SimStarter NG just copy back the old cfg file or does it just change the various attributes to match the correct profile selected ?  If it just copies, how do I go about getting a fresh cfg rebuild ?

• Developer

SIMstarter NG stores a copy of the prepar3d.cfg. Best way is:

1. Updating PREPAR3D (as published)
  2. Starting PREPAR3D without SIMstarter
  3. Close PREPAR3D (wait 30 seconds)
  4. Starting PREPAR3D > Sim ConfigManager > Master ConfigSet > Import prepard3d.cfg (note your exising settings will be overwritten)
  5. Redo your changes to the Master ConfigSet > Save it
  6. Done

With the next version you can create a HTML-Export of the settings of the Master ConfigSet. This will redoing the settings much easier.

Expert migration (after Step 2):

You can sort both files (prepard3d.cfg) and .\data\userprofiles\P3Dv3.4\cfgSet_simCfg_Master.cfg and compare them line by line. Leave your settings values and just move the new config items from the new prepar3d.cfg to the cfgSet_simCfg_Master.cfg. I am using WinMerge for this.

Capt Pero, sorry to ask another question on this.  I was just looking at your sticky post of May 8th on the same topic (sorry I did not see it when I asked my question).  In the step where you select Master and import the CFG, do you need to update all of the parameters or don't worry about it because each Profile will override the settings anyway so no need.  Just not sure on this point.

• 1 year later...

This is what I'm attempting to understand too.

If I update to 4.4, importing a new, empty cfg file, basically creates a new master file, which presumably means all your profiles have to be deleted and remade.

After all, it is feasible that the new version of P3D, or FSX etc., may well have a different structure, new elements, different stuff, old stuff gone etc.

So unless I'm assured to the contrary, I think it best just to delete all the profiles and start fresh.

• Developer
On 23.12.2016 at 15:48, mark767 sagte:

Capt Pero, sorry to ask another question on this.  I was just looking at your sticky post of May 8th on the same topic (sorry I did not see it when I asked my question).  In the step where you select Master and import the CFG, do you need to update all of the parameters or don't worry about it because each Profile will override the settings anyway so no need.  Just not sure on this point.

No, you don't need to update each SIm ConfigSet accept the Master Configset. The Master ConfigSet is a copy of the prepar3d.cfg. And as this file includes more settings than with v4.3 you need to import it. That's all and the way I update.

Looks like, I should make a video when I update my sim using SIMstarter NG or write a Howto?!

Archived