Lightning touch and go

Eivin Stenso

Hello airmen!

When I'm new to an aircraft something I like to do is to stay in the pattern doing low approaches touch and go's to get the feel of landings and liftoffs. I've noticed though that the Lightning has quite narrow tires. Should I restrict my touch and go's and just be doing low apporaches?  

yt - Eivin

23 minutes ago, Rihards said:

Sorry, but I did not really understand you. Can you please elaborate? :)

Cheers,

Rihards.

Certainly. :)

When pilots train they often do something called a touch and go. A touch and go is when you land the aircraft only to throttle up again, taking off and doing another round in the pattern. A low approach is an aborted landing not actually touching down on the runway. I think it's perhaps refered to as an overshoot or go around. Which is easier on the tires. Please correct me if I'm not using the proper english terms

Did that help you understand? :)

Hi Eivin

You are quite right , the Lightnings high pressure tires, meant they had a very limited life,maybe only three or four landings, so pilots would practice overshoots  without actually touching the ground,. if the chute failed they might go round again, but otherwise , once on the ground they liked to stay there until the wheels were visually checked on a turn round.

D

14 hours ago, Eivin Stenso said:

Certainly. :)

When pilots train they often do something called a touch and go. A touch and go is when you land the aircraft only to throttle up again, taking off and doing another round in the pattern. A low approach is an aborted landing not actually touching down on the runway. I think it's perhaps refered to as an overshoot or go around. Which is easier on the tires. Please correct me if I'm not using the proper english terms

Did that help you understand? :)

I know what touch and go is and how training goes. I did not realize that you were talking about electric lighting and about it is tires. Doh! My bad! :)

Archived