A320 Icing Conditions

burm

I have been flying this plane in p3d for a while and have never had icing warning.

Is this simulated in this plane?

If yes is there something I should be doing?

thanks

Paul

Icing isn't modeled in FSX/P3D but I have never seen a icing warning, and I just did a flight from Innsbruck in -6 degree weather.

I would just turn on wing/engine anti ice in 10 degrees or below TAT regardless of whether there is a ice warning or not.

Well, FCOM03-3 defines icing conditions pretty clearly. As far as as I remember, icing condition are given under the following conditions:

On ground and during climb: Icing conditions exists with visible air moisturity (fog, dust, low-, medium- or high altitude clouds, etc. in combination with temperatures between 10 degrees Celsius and - 40 degrees Celsius

In descent: - 40 degrees Celsius or above in combination with visible air moisturity.

By matter of procedures I am not long enough in P3D for a valid estimation.

But an ice warning should be indicated on the upper ECAM and on the ice indicator (the small bar between the pilot flying and pilot monitoring window.)

• Deputy Sheriffs

The Airbus we model does not have the Ice caution option. It was included in a former version but we choose to not do so anymore because we wanted the product to be as close as possible to the MSN (real world plane) we have documents for. 

Well then, based on the above, I seek further clarification ...

I have indeed seen the words "Ice Detected" on my A320 version 1.31 ECAM before ... albeit very briefly ... and only one time (I haven't seen it since). This with Active Sky 2016 software injecting the weather.

I've read posts from 2013 which suggest the ice detection routines were modified so that they would be more realistic.  And, as a recent purchaser of the Airbus, I've only ever had version 1.31 (not previous versions).

So, is it there in our version of the Airbus, or not?

(I know I am not mistaken when I say I saw the words "Ice Detected", so if it isn't supposed to be there, then what the heck did I see?)

• Deputy Sheriffs
5 hours ago, freddy4242 said:

So, is it there in our version of the Airbus, or not?

No, it is not. Yes, it is. ;)

it is not supposed to show though. There is a lot of hidden code (also some ECAM actions like FSL) that got "de-activated". If you saw it, it was a bug in the code. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

it is not supposed to show though. There is a lot of hidden code (also some ECAM actions like FSL) that got "de-activated". If you saw it, it was a bug in the code. 

Just like how you can see a ECAM actions checklist for engine failure when you switch off an engine mid flight?

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

Ahh.  So it is there.  But, it's been "deactivated", commented out, or something like that ... and therefore we are not supposed to see it.

Interesting.  I wonder then why I saw it (rhetorical question)?  A possible bug in the code, you say.  Fair enough. That might explain why it popped up, and then just as quickly, disappeared – never to be seen again.

Thanks for clarifying.

Archived