FSX Performance Issues

Hello guys,

I am writing this topic with the aim of seeking tips/help from the community members on what to do to increase my FSX performance.

Before writing this topic I was able to fly the NGX and the Airbus series without any lag whatsoever with ORBX,REX,ASN,IVAO etc currently my performance has dropped so much that I get about 7 frames in the VC with the NGX and I can't properly fly without lagging and I am really annoyed about it as I really hate lag. 

My Specs:

I5 - 4670@3.40Ghz

Galaxy GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB

8 GB RAM

Z87 - G45 MSI Gaming Series

Thanks in advance for the help!

Please login to display this image.

So let's start by what changed on your system just before your frames dropped, including installs.

What frames do you get at default airports?

What frames are you getting at 35000 ft?

What scenery are you using where the frames drop?

I went on vacation to the Netherlands and I've been basically been getting issues ever since, currently running it clean without nothing, got some quite good frames at 35.000 but really low on the ground. I've been re-installing FSX since. Tested it at Fly Tampa Sint Maarten and Tropical Sim Curacao. Tested at EHRD, no airports installed in the area and there quite low frames, kind of lags,

Sounds like something outside FSX is eating up your system resources. This could be something legitimate like a virusscanner or something like that (some antivirus suites are known to be quite heavy), or it could be something non-legitimate like spyware/adware or a virus or something like that.

Try the following:

- unplug the network cable from the computer, make sure the computer is no longer connected to the internet.

- disable your antivirus.

- start fsx and see if the frames have improved.

If they have, I'd certainly consider changing your antivirus for another.

I think that might actually be the problem, since my pc feels a bit slow when I'm not running FSX, Any ideas on how to fix it?

If you're asking about computer security... I'd recommend you use a full computer security suite.  There are only 3 payware and 1 freeware that I recommend, though since you may likely already have been bitten, I'd recommend a payware one.  The ones I recommend are (in no particular order) Nortons Internet Security, Kapersky, and Bit Defender.  I've used Norton's for many years, have it on sevral flight sim computers as well as about 10 other devices.

Security Suite software is only as good as the settings.  You might take a look at the Connected Flight Deck Guide I wrote (it's pinned to the top of the Aerosoft Connected Flight Deck forum, look for the OVPA CFD Setup Guide).  Even though you may not be interested in Connected Flight Deck, I cover the Norton's Security Suite settings in that guide.

Running a scan after installing the Security Suite should clean your system. If not, let me know and I'll give you a hand.

Hmm, I once read that Norton is one of the heavier security suites. No doubt it provides good protection, but certainly on a slower system it's known to eat up resources. At least, that was the case several years ago. I don't know about the newer Norton versions, never tried them.

I'm using Eset Smart Security myself and I'm very satisfied about it. It's light and provides good protection, never had a problem with it.

Well what I am looking more for a Performance Cleaner software something to remove the programs or limit the programs that have limited my PC's performance not an Anti-Virus (I am not sure but I think there's a difference) I think that's the current problem with my computer. Any other ideas for me as well?

On 12/04/2016 at 4:00 AM, PatrickZ said:

Hmm, I once read that Norton is one of the heavier security suites. No doubt it provides good protection, but certainly on a slower system it's known to eat up resources. At least, that was the case several years ago. I don't know about the newer Norton versions, never tried them.

I'm using Eset Smart Security myself and I'm very satisfied about it. It's light and provides good protection, never had a problem with it.

I have a very strong background in computers, networking and computer security. Norton is at the top of the independent laboratory ratings for all categories including performance.

As I mentioned, I have several FS computers running Nortons, as well as 8 other systems.

Just wanted to get this important, correct info out. I never provide opinions, especially via a forum, based on something I read somewhere, especially if it's years ago. Doing so can lead to others making poor or even costly decisions.

Best wishes.

Okay guys, another questions with the setup I have what tweaks can I use to get better frames? I'll try all recommendations if something does happen to my PC I won't blame noone so feel free to suggest :P.

Giving you recommendations piecemeal just isn't a good idea. In fact, it's a bad idea to give anyone recommendations without their understanding what tweaks actually do. What I strongly recommend you do is visit AVSIM, and download the FSX/P3D Configuration Guide.  I strongly advise that you not start a thread there asking for tweaks, as you will get many different recommendations but you'll have no idea what the background and experience level is of the people giving you recommendations. I spend too much time every week fixing systems because the person blindly followed the advice they asked for or read in a forum post.

Again, the very best thing you can do is read the guide mentioned above, and learn about what these tweaks/settings do. That way you'll be able to apply them intelligently and with purpose, rather than in a haphazard manner.

Best wishes.

By the way, you didn't say if you followed the advice regarding using a Security Suite, which if any you used, and what the results were. Can you please provide this information?

Thanks.

On 6-12-2016 at 3:09 PM, Pilotman21 said:

Well what I am looking more for a Performance Cleaner software something to remove the programs or limit the programs that have limited my PC's performance not an Anti-Virus (I am not sure but I think there's a difference) I think that's the current problem with my computer. Any other ideas for me as well?

CCleaner for sure, and I'd also recommend Spybot Search & Destroy to clean up a bunch of shit that might be on your computer.

52 minutes ago, Pilotman21 said:

Okay guys, another questions with the setup I have what tweaks can I use to get better frames? I'll try all recommendations if something does happen to my PC I won't blame noone so feel free to suggest :P.

Best advice is to apply no tweaks at all, apart from the highmemfix tweak. The default configuration is already quite good for most computers. Any other tweaks should be applied very carefully since they all got side effects. For example, a certain tweak might improve the FPS but have a negative impact on the VAS, or the other way around. There are tools around like FSX Booster and Xtreme FSX PC (both payware) that examine your computer and apply the tweaks they think work best for you, but still I recommend making a backup of your FSX.CFG file before using them because even with such programs there is a chance of a negative outcome.

Patrick's advice is opposite of mine, so you are at a crossroads whether to listen to him, take my advice, or do something different.

I'm going to close this thread, as I can't possibly see any benefit to keeping it open.  If you desire further assistance, feel free to PM whoever you wish.

I wish you the best of luck.

Archived